Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: If a General Election were called tomorrow which way would you vote?
Labour 9 25.00%
Conservative 16 44.44%
Liberal Democrat 2 5.56%
Other 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2008, 09:24   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: General Election Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have been a member since I was sixteen Rindi, but if you read back I said I am just a party member and not active since 2001, and the only time I talk about party politics is when some one else raises the subject, as I said before I don't think I have started a politicl thread since I came back on line on 29th Jan
Ah, see what you mean.

Now where's my silly string?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2008, 09:26   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I take it back, perhaps I am partisan.

The only MPs I've ever chatted to socially at parties, and the only ex-PM I've ever had a private dinner with at the Carlton Club, have been Conservative, so perhaps my politics are more inclined to the right than the left.

To my knowledge the last time I spoke to a Labour politican was Arthur Davidson at my great uncle's garden party in 1970, when I was five.
The Carlton Club Rindi, The Bl**** Carlton Club
Old 26-04-2008, 11:25   #108
God Member

I haven't voted on this thread yet because I'm still trying to make up my mind - sorry Greg. If it was just down to Greg then I'd vote for him like a shot. I trust him and respect him as our local MP, I think he does a good job. However, it's not just down to Greg it's down to Gordon Brown as well and I have to be honest, I don't know if I can do it - then again I certainly can't vote for the alternative either as that would probably be worse.

It's probably a good job the national election isn't this week.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 14:02   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I haven't voted on this thread yet because I'm still trying to make up my mind - sorry Greg. If it was just down to Greg then I'd vote for him like a shot. I trust him and respect him as our local MP, I think he does a good job. However, it's not just down to Greg it's down to Gordon Brown as well and I have to be honest, I don't know if I can do it - then again I certainly can't vote for the alternative either as that would probably be worse.

It's probably a good job the national election isn't this week.
Always remember Gayle anyone who hesitatate is lost
Old 26-04-2008, 14:44   #110
God Member

May be that's why no one's bothered canvassing me.

Actually I think the reason they haven't canvassed or sent me any literature is probably because the Labour Party assume I'm a sure thing. Funny but a couple of years ago it was the Conservatives who didn't send me stuff because they assumed I was a sure thing.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 16:40   #111
God Member

Now its a shame you didn't mention this earlier Gayle, I'm in Pendle tomorrow and Hull on Monday!

Which ward are you in again by the way? I've been out in Barnfield
Old 26-04-2008, 17:00   #112
God Member

When I lived up Belthorn in the 70s, a friend of my father was a Tory county councillor.
He asked me to let the tories have the use of my front room on polling day.
I declined using my civil service job as an excuse.
People make presumptions about political leanings when they have no right to.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 17:36   #113
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When I lived up Belthorn in the 70s, a friend of my father was a Tory county councillor.
He asked me to let the tories have the use of my front room on polling day.
I declined using my civil service job as an excuse.
People make presumptions about political leanings when they have no right to.
You could have let them use it then locked 'em in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 13:22   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
May be that's why no one's bothered canvassing me.

Actually I think the reason they haven't canvassed or sent me any literature is probably because the Labour Party assume I'm a sure thing. Funny but a couple of years ago it was the Conservatives who didn't send me stuff because they assumed I was a sure thing.
I don't think any one could say you were a sure ting Gayle
Old 28-04-2008, 15:17   #115

I've just received a tax statement on the pension I worked twenty years for, and due to the abolishing of the 10%tax rate, out of a gross amount of over £200 a month, I'm now left with £88!
No doubt my money will help towards redecorating one of Brown's fat cat's second homes.
I AM FUMING - and to think I once voted labour!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 15:21   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
I've just received a tax statement on the pension I worked twenty years for, and due to the abolishing of the 10%tax rate, out of a gross amount of over £200 a month, I'm now left with £88!
No doubt my money will help towards redecorating one of Brown's fat cat's second homes.
I AM FUMING - and to think I once voted labour!
It is disgraceful I am not surprised you are fuming. Will you not be able to claim it back?
Old 28-04-2008, 15:44   #117

I don't know, Bernie, the woman at the tax office just said that I'm now taxed at BR - basic rate, which is 20%
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 16:04   #118
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It is disgraceful I am not surprised you are fuming. Will you not be able to claim it back?
The point is Bernie she shouldn't have to claim it back it shouldn't have been taken in the first place, this is the only government in history that have targetted those who are poorest in our society, and they are supposed to stand up for those less well off, what a joke.
Old 28-04-2008, 16:08   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The point is Bernie she shouldn't have to claim it back it shouldn't have been taken in the first place, this is the only government in history that have targetted those who are poorest in our society, and they are supposed to stand up for those less well off, what a joke.
I know she shouldn't have to but unfortunately that is the only way she will get it. If people don't know they can claim it back it will go into the countries coffers.
Old 28-04-2008, 16:46   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I know she shouldn't have to but unfortunately that is the only way she will get it. If people don't know they can claim it back it will go into the countries coffers.
The only trouble is Bernie, that there is now more red tape than ever before, when the Government found out that they had made one hell of a balls up why didnt they just hold their hands up and say okay we were wrong we'll scrap it, then people wouldn't have to claim back what is rightfully theirs, its just utter stupidity

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..