Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 23:31   #31
God Member

Re: Getting More Than A bit Scary

Well as I said my grandson is no mard arse so for him to knock and ask for help the other kid has been saying he will use it.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:34   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
As a student of law..........what would be your take on this?
Well obviously it is wrong, but you can't stop kids carrying things like knives, I've carried a pen knife once when I was a girl guide, an obviously I wouldn't ever threaten someone with one but I would hate to make knives illegal completely...

I honestly don't believe I know anyone who carries a knife and or would use one maliciously, and I know some rough people who are my age. I think the media has exaggerated the situation, and it is possibly more detrimental to society to do this than for them to completely ignore it, but I am not in the right position to make such a judgment without any research on it.

If I studied crime then perhaps I would be more aware of the situation and give a better opinion, but unfortunately I study the law, and it doesn't often concern itself with the actual larger scale of things.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:36   #33
Resident Waffler

How awful Bernie. Poor lad, no wonder he was scared. There have been far too many stabbings lately.

Punishing the parents isn't the answer. The parents need to be allowed to punish children. That's the problem.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:39   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Punishing the parents isn't the answer. The parents need to be allowed to punish children. That's the problem.
pity the bloody polititcians dont think the same.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:43   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
If I studied crime then perhaps I would be more aware of the situation and give a better opinion, but unfortunately I study the law, and it doesn't often concern itself with the actual larger scale of things.
Why...............?

That bit

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 01-06-2008 at 23:48.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:43   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
How awful Bernie. Poor lad, no wonder he was scared. There have been far too many stabbings lately.

You are quite right just hope they can reverse the trend but without losing face can't see it happening any time soon
Old 01-06-2008, 23:45   #37
God Member

Quote:
Why...............?
Which bit are you asking why to?
Old 01-06-2008, 23:50   #38
God Member

Quote:
That bit............is crime not the same as law?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 23:52   #39
God Member

Quote:
That bit
Because most of it is made on a case by case basis, rather than statutes alone. Speaking of which, I have a pile of cases that is sky high that I have to read for my exam on wednesday, so I best log off for now
Old 01-06-2008, 23:54   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Well obviously it is wrong, but you can't stop kids carrying things like knives, I've carried a pen knife once when I was a girl guide, an obviously I wouldn't ever threaten someone with one but I would hate to make knives illegal completely...

I honestly don't believe I know anyone who carries a knife and or would use one maliciously, and I know some rough people who are my age.
making knives illegal aint the issue i don't think. doubt if many know who or who would use one, but its too late when they do n it does happen n not just nowadays, got the t-shirt so know i am talking sense. but at least way back then, there was more of a deterant if ya carried one, theres a world of differance between a scout/guide knife n many that are carried now, but as young people like you think that letting minor offenders out after half their sentence is ok, then were going down a slippery slope.
Old 01-06-2008, 23:56   #41
God Member

Find it quite frightening that crime and the law are not related, sometimes I think you post crap just for the reaction you will get. Think even us thickheads realise that each case has it's own merits but crime and law must basically go hand in hand
Old 01-06-2008, 23:58   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
making knives illegal aint the issue i don't think. doubt if many know who or who would use one, but its too late when they do n it does happen n not just nowadays, got the t-shirt so know i am talking sense. but at least way back then, there was more of a deterant if ya carried one, theres a world of differance between a scout/guide knife n many that are carried now, but as young people like you think that letting minor offenders out after half their sentence is ok, then were going down a slippery slope.
So many people reoffend after being imprisoned for minor crimes that I see no point in enforcing a failing measure. The answer is finding new forms of punishment which will make people stop and think, I just don't wish to be the person that suggests a different punishment, because it is the government who should be under scrutiny, not I.
Old 02-06-2008, 00:01   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Find it quite frightening that crime and the law are not related, sometimes I think you post crap just for the reaction you will get. Think even us thickheads realise that each case has it's own merits but crime and law must basically go hand in hand
I'm currently reading a case where it was decided that having an illegal weapon in a shop window with a price tag and description attached to it wasn't a crime simply because the words 'offer for sale' weren't properly defined in the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959.

I'm not calling you a thickhead Bernadette, I am studying the law and that is a fine example of what I am saying, whether you or any other citizen of this country like it or not. I'm not saying it is my ideal, it is merely what is put in front of me.

Now I must study!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 00:05   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

as most of the borstals/ detention centres/approved schools were closed, long ago, i reckon there is no real deterant for the young these days, those institutions were by no means perfect,but they did provide some deterant n did work to a degree, which to me is better than ****** all. i know many who have been in such places n approx 80-90% of those i know, never returned.
Old 02-06-2008, 00:14   #45
God Member

It is illegal to carry an offensive weapon and where I come from a knife is as such, so if you or I or Tom, Dick or Harry get caught carrying one the law should come down on us big time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..