Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2007, 10:52   #31
God Member

Re: greg pope

Well, as you can imagine I am going to defend Greg. I find him to be a very hard working person who spends as much time in his constituency as he does in parliament. He stands up for what he believes and I think that's quite probably why he hasn't risen through the Labour ranks.

As for his stance on the war - yes, he voted for it and yes, on the face of things you can argue that he shouldn't have done that if his constituency appeared to want the opposite, however, his constituents were working off information that they were reading in the national newspapers, they were not working from the official information that MPs were receiving. He was in the most informed position and he voted for it - as did David Cameron and the majority of both Labour and Conservative MPs.

I know people disagree with the war and think that the troops should be pulled out but once we've made the mess I do think we should be around to clear it up. Also, I wish people would stop beating Labour up for taking us to war when David Cameron has stated on more than one occassion that he would have done precisely the same thing himself based on the information that they had at the time.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2007, 10:53   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
maybe if he actualy did soemhting for hyndburn that we could see was good and made a difference
I agree with that KIPAX.

Can anyone list some useful things he has done for Hyndburn and not just individuals that will make me want to vote for him next time (seeing as Ken no longer stands )
Old 16-01-2007, 10:56   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
As for his stance on the war - yes, he voted for it and yes, on the face of things you can argue that he shouldn't have done that if his constituency appeared to want the opposite, however, his constituents were working off information that they were reading in the national newspapers, they were not working from the official information that MPs were receiving. He was in the most informed position and he voted for it -
so it was a case of stuff the people of hyndburn.. i know better.... well thats not the best case of defending someone I have ever seen

Quote:
I know people disagree with the war and think that the troops should be pulled out but once we've made the mess I do think

I dont have a thought on it either way.. I didn't care what he voted for... it was the fact that he went against his constituants that erks me
Old 16-01-2007, 11:09   #34
Super Moderator

Quote:
his constituents were working off information that they were reading in the national newspapers, they were not working from the official information that MPs were receiving. He was in the most informed position and he voted for it - as did David Cameron and the majority of both Labour and Conservative MPs.
Yes, and the spin put out by this government was that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. A claim which turned out to be totally untrue. If Greg Pope had a conscience, he would apologise to his constituents for voting to take this country to war under false pretences.

Secondly, should we just meekly accept any decision that the government takes, whether we agree with it or not, because they're in "the most informed position"? What a strange view of democracy!
Old 16-01-2007, 11:24   #35
God Member

but clearly the fact that they were told that he had WMDs and the papers were all reporting Hans Blicks view that he hadn't suggests that actually 'we' were the better informed.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:30   #36
God Member

from the front page of www.gregpope.co.uk

Quote:
I aim to represent all the people of in my constituency regardless of their politics, race or religion
Really? how can he have that AND say he knows the constituants want one thing but he is going to do what HE feels is right instead... and as now pointed out the irony being he was wrong and the constituants where right..

The words "face" and "two" spring to mind.
Old 16-01-2007, 11:31   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Can anyone list some useful things he has done for Hyndburn and not just individuals that will make me want to vote for him next time (seeing as Ken no longer stands )
maybe theres no reply because there busy compiling a list....... hehe
Old 16-01-2007, 11:47   #38
God Member

so thats covered the next 3 micro seconds then

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:51   #39
Resident Waffler

When I was a child my parents knew I wanted a pony but they didn't get me one.

They also knew that we had nowhere to stable one and that I wouldn't have enough time to look after it, muck out, groom it ride it or even afford to stable it, feed it and the vets fees etc etc. So they did was they felt was best by not getting me a pony.

So maybe Greg Pope did what he felt was best for us in spite of us thinking/feeling/believing we wanted something else.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 11:54   #40

[quote=KIPAX;368469]he voted for war on iraq.... i aint bothered accept for one thing... he was quoted in the paper as saying.... he knows its not what his constituants want but he had to go with what he felt was right...

How does anyone know what the constituents want? Nobody asked me. The majority may have agreed with him. Who knows?
Old 16-01-2007, 12:01   #41
Resident Waffler

Did he say "the constituents" in general or "some constituents" ie those who have written to the papers etc? (nobody asked me either)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 12:04   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So maybe Greg Pope did what he felt was best for us in spite of us thinking/feeling/believing we wanted something else.
you mean in spite of whats on his website and his promise to do what the constituants want..

and he said the majority.. how he knows is beyond me.. but the point is he believed he was going against what the majority of his constituants wants... the reason matters not.. he isn't supposed to do what he wants.. thats the point ...
Old 16-01-2007, 14:19   #43

[ he isn't supposed to do what he wants.. thats the point ...[/q

Hey, I rarely do what I'm supposed to do, It's much more fun doing what you want to do. Don't vote for me, I'd be rubbish as an MP.
Go GREG!!!!!
Old 16-01-2007, 14:58   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Go GREG!!!!!
yeagh... GO GREG

Old 16-01-2007, 15:24   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
I dont have a thought on it either way.. I didn't care what he voted for... it was the fact that he went against his constituants that erks me
How on earth do you know what his constituents wanted or want, re:Iraq. Did I miss a local referendum organised by your good self?

Democracy for this country means that the majority of people in any consituency elect a member of parliament. What they do, or don't do over the next four or five years, will be up for debate come the next election.

Every time one of the tabloids organises a poll, concerning the reintroduction of capital punishment, there is a massive majority in favour of bringing back hanging. Thankfully. in my opinion, the elected members of parliament think otherwise, everytime the matter is debated.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..