Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2007, 22:20   #1
Junior Member+

greg pope

hi i was just curious to see what others thought of our mp . i went to see him recently and he wrote a letter on my behalf after i had given a load of details about my issue. from his response it seemed he must have known what the reply would be but conveniently he wrote the letter anyway. ( to make it seem he had done something i guess) ii found him lacking substance and if a someone with more personality came to oust him i would vote regardless of the party. wat are others experiences
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2007, 22:26   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: greg pope

I've had no personal dealings with him, so not much to comment really. He got my vote last time, and probably will next time, unless national issues dictate otherwise.

I think he's a good M.P.

No matter how disillusioned I am with the Labour party nationally, I do think they have changed things for the better, and righted some previous injustices.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 22:30   #3
Junior Member+

oh idont know about that garinda but i thimk the parties are so similar that i think at a local level i would like to deal with someone who seems to possess integrity. i just got the impreesion that greg was a bit lacking and he seems to have the women in the office who are quick to champion whatever he does. ive been to other mp but have not got the same impression
Old 15-01-2007, 22:33   #4
God Member

I lobbied him in parliament last November about the NHS, and spoke to him for half the time about other topics. I found him to be an excellent MP that seemed to take my concerns in, and give responses that didn't amount 'Everythings great and working fine' he admitted there had been failings in the NHS but that on the most part its moved for the better.

I think hes an excellent, down to earth, genuine person who really cares about the people in his constituency.

ps. As many of you know Labour is not my natural party of preference, so me saying this does have some sort of meaning as its not just party biased.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:39   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
oh idont know about that garinda but i thimk the parties are so similar that i think at a local level i would like to deal with someone who seems to possess integrity. i just got the impreesion that greg was a bit lacking and he seems to have the women in the office who are quick to champion whatever he does. ive been to other mp but have not got the same impression

Like I say, I've not had to deal with him, so it's hard to comment.

I like him because I think he does have integrity. He seems like a person who knows his own mind, and isn't a puppet, whose strings are pulled by those higher up in the Labour Party. I've followed his voting record on issues that I find important to me, and am happy with the way he voted.

Personally, national issues aside, he will be getting my vote again, at the next election.

Were you dissatisfied with the help he gave you, and if so why?

Old 15-01-2007, 22:41   #6
Junior Member+

it would be really unrealistic to defend such a large complex organisation like the nhs without accepting that there are real problems within such a system. i am talkig about issues particular to accrington eg council issues which doesnt aparently concern mps as it is tory run. and i can wholeheartly say that a few people i have since talked to have felt exaclty the same as myself. i know he seems really nice but he deals with potential voters doesnt he hes not a policeman is he
Old 15-01-2007, 22:44   #7
God Member

he voted for war on iraq.... i aint bothered accept for one thing... he was quoted in the paper as saying.... he knows its not what his constituants want but he had to go with what he felt was right...

well... i thought he was supposed to do what his constituants thought was right.... or at the very least not come out and tell them to there face he doesnt give a toss what they feel...

wally of the week 323rd week running.... greg pope..
Old 15-01-2007, 22:45   #8
Give, give, give member

The only time in my life I needed the help of my MP was years ago, and that was Ken Hargreaves. He helped me a great deal, and I was very happy with the time, and considerable effort he gave to me. I've never voted Conservative in my life, but don't think party politics come into the equation. The local MP is there to represent each of his or her constituents, regardless of whether or not we voted for them, that's democracy, and for that I think Greg Pope represents me very well.

Old 15-01-2007, 22:46   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Like I say, I've not had to deal with him, so it's hard to comment.

I like him because I think he does have integrity. He seems like a person who knows his own mind, and isn't a puppet, whose strings are pulled by those higher up in the Labour Party. I've followed his voting record on issues that I find important to me, and am happy with the way he voted.

Personally, national issues aside, he will be getting my vote again, at the next election.

Were you dissatisfied with the help he gave you, and if so why?
yes i really was although i cant go in to the issue he knew all the details of my point at the time i talked to him. he wrote back saying that he was unable to do anything as he initially thought but he should have made me aware that this was the likely outcome. also he did not put my concerns across fully and like i said many others have felt the same and we have run the risk of upsetting organisations who we 'complained' about.
Old 15-01-2007, 22:48   #10
God Member

I've never had dealings with him either so I can't comment ... without knowing the reasons why you had to see him no-one can really comment skippy. There's always 2 sides to a coin if you know what I mean
Old 15-01-2007, 22:50   #11
Junior Member+

i also feel that greg is ambitious and he seems to be a blair follower if you check his voting record although he may well try to cosy up to gordon now. i just dont think he is of a calibre to get a junoir minister post
Old 15-01-2007, 22:50   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
he voted for war on iraq.... i aint bothered accept for one thing... he was quoted in the paper as saying.... he knows its not what his constituants want but he had to go with what he felt was right...

well... i thought he was supposed to do what his constituants thought was right.... or at the very least not come out and tell them to there face he doesnt give a toss what they feel...

wally of the week 323rd week running.... greg pope..
I think if we were to have a referendum every time issues were voted on or debated, instead of letting our elected representatives vote and speak on our behalf, you wouldn't have much time to take your pictures, or for other people to go to work.

Old 15-01-2007, 22:53   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
I've never had dealings with him either so I can't comment ... without knowing the reasons why you had to see him no-one can really comment skippy. There's always 2 sides to a coin if you know what I mean
yes i dont think ive come across as a case of sour grapes its like i said my feelings were based on my instincts and these were coorroborated by a significant amount of people who have had similar dealings. i just think he lacked passion for our concerns its not simply acase of two sides to every story. i am mature enough to know that
Old 15-01-2007, 22:57   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
i also feel that greg is ambitious and he seems to be a blair follower if you check his voting record although he may well try to cosy up to gordon now. i just dont think he is of a calibre to get a junoir minister post

Why should we care if he gets a Ministerial role under Blair, Brown, or whoever?

It would make no difference to us as our local MP, infact we might see less of him.

Old 15-01-2007, 23:00   #15
God Member

Quote:
its like i said my feelings were based on my instincts

I understand your frustration but your instincts are based on personal circumstance. As people looking in on your circumstance we may have a different view point.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..