Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 14:36   #31

Re: Gypsies

You will find that the majority of those travellers who just turn up at unofficial sites or street corners are the outcasst who have been refused entry onto proper sites.....

Gypsy sites tend to be self policing so you find that the travellers you see on the street are the criminals and those you may not get to see on the sites are in fact civil and community minded.
GypoDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2010, 14:37   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypoDec View Post
You will find that the majority of those travellers who just turn up at unofficial sites or street corners are the outcasst who have been refused entry onto proper sites.....

Gypsy sites tend to be self policing so you find that the travellers you see on the street are the criminals and those you may not get to see on the sites are in fact civil and community minded.

good on ya for clearing that up lad
Old 03-01-2010, 14:57   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Hia,

and the Freedom fighters (IRA) where made out to be terrorists for protecting their families.
so if I am reading that statement correctly then your saying that the IRA were infact not terrorists? who killed inoccent women and children for decades?

if that is what your saying then your a total arse.

if thats not what your saying? then please clarify and I will apologise..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
so if I am reading that statement correctly then your saying that the IRA were infact not terrorists? who killed inoccent women and children for decades?

if that is what your saying then your a total arse.

if thats not what your saying? then please clarify and I will apologise..
I understand where youtr coming from, perhaps i should have been more clear. I totally disagree with what the so called "IRA" did in England and agree they where terrorists,.... i refer to the true Irish Republican Army back home in Derry who fought for their homes and livliehoods when the Black and Tans converged on them.

I Totally agree that taking the conflict from Ireland to England and bombing innocent people was an act of Terrorism,... something that wouldnt have been condoned by the IRA or Provo leaders back home
Old 03-01-2010, 15:27   #35
God Member

Quote:
I understand where youtr coming from, perhaps i should have been more clear. I totally disagree with what the so called "IRA" did in England and agree they where terrorists,.... i refer to the true Irish Republican Army back home in Derry who fought for their homes and livliehoods when the Black and Tans converged on them.

I Totally agree that taking the conflict from Ireland to England and bombing innocent people was an act of Terrorism,... something that wouldnt have been condoned by the IRA or Provo leaders back home
It's fair enough that you stand up for your community but you are mistaken when defending the IRA and Provo leaders.... they DID condone murders in England as well as Northern Ireland.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:32   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
i refer to the true Irish Republican Army back home in Derry who fought for their homes and livliehoods when the Black and Tans converged on them.
My Father was in the army before WW2 and he told me that the black & tans were made up mainly from home grown Irish-men and a sprinkling of ex WW1 soldiers & that their behaviour and the way they treated their fellow Irish men was despised by both the Irish people & the British troops who would have nothing to do with them.

How true that is I don't know, as it's only second hand information.

As this episode in History was somewhere around 1920-21ish I do not see how it should be brought up as an argument for what the IRA did from the late 60's until what now unfortunately seems to be happening again.

P.S. I'm not being prejudice I happened to marry an Irish Girl and we lived happily for 5 years, admittedly we were actually married 35 years but the happy five have been since she left me!

Last edited by Less; 03-01-2010 at 15:38.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:35   #37

I went to Northern Ireland, Ballemena, for a holiday, i found MOST of the residents to be kind, courtious and very friendly. There is always a minority of unhappy residents, no matter where you live. If you are not happy with the environment then move on. I was not happy with the area i was living in, so i moved elsewhere.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:41   #38

I understand what your saying vera but it not always a case of just being able to move on,... we have a lot of family in Accrington and Blackburn and most of them are in school.

Most of the travellers who still travel will be moving on to Lancaster shortly however for Michael O'Mara Murphys (King of the Gypsies) Funeral.
Old 03-01-2010, 15:44   #39

Well while you are there, get on with life, enjoy it and stop moaning. If you don't like Accrington do not return after Lancaster.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 15:54   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
I went to Northern Ireland, Ballemena, for a holiday, i found MOST of the residents to be kind, courtious and very friendly.

That is because most of Ballymena is more pro British than most of England. It is a really nice place.

I was offered a job there in about 2001. My company sent us over 2 or 3 times and we were even looking at houses. The only reason I am here now is we could not agree on the salary.

Looking back I am glad I turned it down. Shortly after I turned down a job on the Isle of Man - I am still not sure if I did the right thing with that one.
Old 03-01-2010, 15:57   #41
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Looking back I am glad I turned it down. Shortly after I turned down a job on the Isle of Man - I am still not sure if I did the right thing with that one.
Should have gone for that one Neil, you can drink as much as you like but you will never end up legless.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 16:01   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Should have gone for that one Neil, you can drink as much as you like but you will never end up legless.
I was messed about by the engineering manager during the recruitment process, he basically lied to me. I told the recruitment agent to tell him I could not work for him after seeing how he conducts business.
Old 03-01-2010, 16:03   #43

No katex quite the opposite in fact, Accrington is a lovely little town,... i thinks thats why it attract so many Romas/Gypsies/Tinkers etc
Old 03-01-2010, 16:19   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
No katex quite the opposite in fact, Accrington is a lovely little town,... i thinks thats why it attract so many Romas/Gypsies/Tinkers etc

I just thought it was because we have more official sites than anywhere else in Lancashire.
Old 03-01-2010, 16:29   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I just thought it was because we have more official sites than anywhere else in Lancashire.
I thought it was because of the Hedgehog Farm over Ossy

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..