Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 16:34   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Gypsies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypoDec View Post
I understand where youtr coming from, perhaps i should have been more clear. I totally disagree with what the so called "IRA" did in England and agree they where terrorists,.... i refer to the true Irish Republican Army back home in Derry who fought for their homes and livliehoods when the Black and Tans converged on them.

I Totally agree that taking the conflict from Ireland to England and bombing innocent people was an act of Terrorism,... something that wouldnt have been condoned by the IRA or Provo leaders back home
many thanks for clearing that up and I retract my calling you a total arse. you are infact a very fair and honest gentleman.

and inregards to your initial post - its good to hear of someone who is proud of their history etc and I dare say there is an element who give you all the bad name that I dare say you have..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2010, 16:37   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Got to admit, I don't like the way this thread is going, I don't mind discussing with someone the fact that I do or don't like their ethnicity but I do mind being dragged into a discussion about the pro's & cons of the IRA. I am happy with neither Muslim nor Irish 'terrorist's' they do not represent the good members of their communities.

So until that murderous subject is tucked nicely out of the way, I think I might just revise my thought's on tinkers to being 'suspect'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:05   #48
God Member

People judge you by the company you keep.
That is not the sound way of making a judgement of anybody.
It is better to either, never make judgements, or never identify/join with groups.

I wonder whether I did right joining this one

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:07   #49
Beacon of light

I am all for people coming into the community and living a peacable life, I'm all for those who integrate and give something back, I'm all for those who follow the rule of law, I'm all for those who treat the place they live with respect......clear up their mess or pay someone to do it for them if they themselves cannot(for whatever reason) do it.
It is called live and let live.
Having seen some of the disgusting mess that some travelling families leave behind....soiled nappies, household items etc........this is what causes the prejudice and dislike of the travellers.
And of course, I know that we shouldn't judge the many by the actions of the few, but it is really hard. It is much easier to go with the evidence of what we see on a daily basis.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am all for people coming into the community and living a peacable life, I'm all for those who integrate and give something back, I'm all for those who follow the rule of law, I'm all for those who treat the place they live with respect......clear up their mess or pay someone to do it for them if they themselves cannot(for whatever reason) do it.
It is called live and let live.
Having seen some of the disgusting mess that some travelling families leave behind....soiled nappies, household items etc........this is what causes the prejudice and dislike of the travellers.
And of course, I know that we shouldn't judge the many by the actions of the few, but it is really hard. It is much easier to go with the evidence of what we see on a daily basis.
Margaret i agree with what you have said, on the few occassion which i have temporarily stopped on disused land, carparks etc whilst waiting for the council to complete paperwork for us to move onto their sites.... i have taken everything to council waste centres.

Every Gypsy family,... by their nature,... have some means of travel and so should dispose of their waste.
GypoDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:45   #51
Beacon of light

I applaud you for that action, but you can see how the lazy itinerants give the true gypsy families bad press can't you?
And that is where the prejudice grows from....we all want to live in places that are clean and tidy, and to discourage vermin from our homes and yet the people who leave their litter that encourages rats and such have no conscience about what they are doing to the local environment.......and when they have made a mess they scoot off to do the same somewhere else.
It looks bad, it looks like the locals don't care about where they live. When in actuality, it isn't they who have littered the place.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 17:50   #52

Lancaster council and Burnley council have in the past offered us bins where we have set up before even when they were applying for eviction orders against us.

We didnt however take the bins as i dont believe that resident of those towns respectively should pay for my refuse collection.
Old 03-01-2010, 17:58   #53
JFT96

Thats very nice not expecting me to pay for your rubbish removal. But can I ask do travellers pay Council Tax? Income Tax? or Claim benefits?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 18:02   #54

Yes ! we pay income tax and yes,... if we setlle we pay council tax

As for benefits i have always been taught not to rely on anyone other than my family for support and wouldnt dream of asking the Government for money. I think if you can provide you should and if you cant you should get a job.
Old 03-01-2010, 18:07   #55
JFT96

Glad to hear it, but of course if you are always moving around, surely it must be hard to keep a job.

Old 03-01-2010, 18:08   #56

Most travellers are self employed,... work for and travel with their families or work for the local head of sites in the towns where they move to
Old 03-01-2010, 18:17   #57
JFT96

Ah the great Self Employed argument, but what exactly do you do. Sorry but your point of working for each other does not make much sense.

I have friends who are self employed, being paid in cash always helps.

Please understand I have no issue with you or your kind, I have never really come across any travellers, but you seem to feel very persecuted, from your first post onwards, even using the IRA and pIRA in your arguments. They may be freedom fighters, but the minute they kill civilians they become murderers.

Old 03-01-2010, 18:25   #58

the irish traveller population have always been self employed hence the names "tinkers" and "knacker" repairers of tin and the aquisition of dead horses respectively.

Know almost all Gypsy men work in construction, Grounwork, Recycling or on Markets.
Old 03-01-2010, 18:25   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypoDec View Post
.. i have taken everything to council waste centres.
As a non Council Tax payer should you be allowed to use the waste centre?
Old 03-01-2010, 18:31   #60

Yes i think we should because otherwise we would have no alternative but to find somewhere else to dispose of it,.... at least we are not littering your streets

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..