Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 02:10   #1

Gypsies

Hia,

I am an irish traveller who has recently moved to Accrington. I came to England in 1992 when i was one year old and have lived in many towns.

You get used to the hostility and racism but never before have i witnessed such racist behaviour as i have in Accrington. Almost every single thread on this site reffering to Gypsies is negative some people reffering to us as "wild animals".

The fact of the matter is GENERALLY, the reason why we are here in the first place in because English soldiers, following orders forced families to flea Ireland,..... and the Freedom fighters (IRA) where made out to be terrorists for protecting their families.

DOES NOBODY RESPECT THE FACT THAT BE YOU A TRAVELLER, PAKISTANI OR POLE,... YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING TO !!!

I live in a caravan and i am proud to call myself a Gypsy. I am proud of my heritage and the gypsy culture. I think people who dismiss an entire race and culture on the wrongdoings of a minority are massively ill informed.
GypoDec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-01-2010, 03:31   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Gypsies

To be honest i have been on this site for a while and i have not seen the negatives u have seen but then again if u search for hatred you will find it...

I am not against gypsies. I am against crinimals whether they be English or otherwise
Old 03-01-2010, 04:14   #3
God Member

Umm ..hello Gypodec and welcome to Accyweb
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24   #4
Resting in Peace

Gordie in disguise
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29   #5

If you do not want to be referred to in the negative, then act in the positive and that is how you will be treated. Hello and welcome
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31   #6

Welcome to Accyweb................I think

I don't understand why you should bother to register if you think we are all racist, and the first thing that you do is to have a pop at the members...you have used your right to speak your mind, let the other members have the right to do the same.......
Old 03-01-2010, 09:36   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypoDec View Post
Hia,

I live in a caravan and i am proud to call myself a Gypsy. I am proud of my heritage and the gypsy culture. I think people who dismiss an entire race and culture on the wrongdoings of a minority are massively ill informed.
I see the 'local' travellers in a pub I go into they don't seem to have the same chip on their shoulder you have.

No reason why you shouldn't be proud of your heritage.

If you consider us all to be ill informed I think I recognise a slight if not large amount of prejudice in your own heart, but now you have a chance to educate us, please try to do it in a pleasant manner, (mentioning the IRA might not be a good way to start).
Welcome to accyweb enjoy yourself.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Gordie in disguise
was thinkin that meself, don't buy this tale of woe at all.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42   #9
God Member

I aint sure what to make of this. I went to school with gypsies and as a teen was always with the teens of exiled Irish families from N.I and had a great time with them. Looks like a search was done on the forum for Irish and Gypsies to me as a taster.

As to the point of respecting the Polish, Pakistani, Irish or anyone else of an ethnic minority as human beings I take them as I find them and live with that. There will always be trouble from a minority of any ethnic background and we have them as well.

A peruse properly of the sight will show that we do have opinions good and bad but in general just speak our minds and let it rest. If it was considered out of hand or racist the mods would be down on us like a ton of bricks. As a family site we have rules to abide by and behave accordingly.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I aint sure what to make of this. I went to school with gypsies and as a teen was always with the teens of exiled Irish families from N.I and had a great time with them. Looks like a search was done on the forum for Irish and Gypsies to me as a taster.

As to the point of respecting the Polish, Pakistani, Irish or anyone else of an ethnic minority as human beings I take them as I find them and live with that. There will always be trouble from a minority of any ethnic background and we have them as well.

A peruse properly of the sight will show that we do have opinions good and bad but in general just speak our minds and let it rest. If it was considered out of hand or racist the mods would be down on us like a ton of bricks. As a family site we have rules to abide by and behave accordingly.
I went to school with a gypsy too Spugs gypsy Joe Smith, lived on the Green in Ossy then got a house next to the green. Only recently he got in contact with me after about 40 years he lives in Cheshire and is a lay preacher, he actually came to see me and we had a good reminisce about old times
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hia,

I am an irish traveller who has recently moved to Accrington. I came to England in 1992 when i was one year old and have lived in many towns.

You get used to the hostility and racism but never before have i witnessed such racist behaviour as i have in Accrington. Almost every single thread on this site reffering to Gypsies is negative some people reffering to us as "wild animals".

The fact of the matter is GENERALLY, the reason why we are here in the first place in because English soldiers, following orders forced families to flea Ireland,..... and the Freedom fighters (IRA) where made out to be terrorists for protecting their families.

DOES NOBODY RESPECT THE FACT THAT BE YOU A TRAVELLER, PAKISTANI OR POLE,... YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING TO !!!

Er...hate to disillusion your cultural heritage, but if you're an 'Irish traveller', you aren't a Gypsy, who are of Romani/Hindu origin.

I could live in a kennel, and pretend I was a dog...though I wouldn't be one in reality.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:07   #12
Give, give, give member

If I was a traveller, and found the locals hostile, I'd keep on travellin'.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:17   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
.... and the Freedom fighters (IRA) where made out to be terrorists for protecting their families.

Who needed protecting from Johnathon Ball, the three year old who was killed in the Warrington bombings?

Yes blind prejudice and narrow-mindedness, judging people as a whole, rather than as individuals, is a terrible thing to do.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:25   #14
JFT96

Freedom fighters......so why bomb the mainland then? Killing innocent civilians.
Sorry but you really seem to be wanting to cause trouble, so I will not bite.
Rindi, well said

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:28   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'm convinced this is a load of baloney.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..