Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2005, 18:37   #46

Re: Gypsies/travellers

There is a site in Hyde (Manchester) with approx. 20 'Mobile' homes on it, all belonging to 'travellers'.... you have to see these homes, to believe how luxurious they are.... so much so, that at least three of them had £20,000.00-plus kitchens installed by a company not a million miles away from our town centre!!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-03-2005, 22:59   #47
Senior Member+

what do u lot make of the conservatives pledge to review the law on gypsies and if need b repeal the human rights act?

sounds rather too much of jumpin on the bandwagon to me
Old 21-03-2005, 08:52   #48
Senior Member+

Sounds good to me, why should they be above the law.
Old 21-03-2005, 08:57   #49
Give, give, give member

lt does seem strange the majority of 'travellers' want to set up illegal permenant homes.If they stop travelling how will people in outlying areas get their drives tar-macced, and lucky heather will be scarcer than hens teeth to find.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 09:45   #50

I think everybody has a right to live, but a lot of people who do the shouting in this country for equal rights, whant this untill they have to pay into the system.

I know it would be a pain in the backside but i am in favour of I.D. cards so that if you whant a job, you pay like everyone els. This country is on its arse with people taking what our parents and grandparents have worked for.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 10:12   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
lt does seem strange the majority of 'travellers' want to set up illegal permenant homes.If they stop travelling how will people in outlying areas get their drives tar-macced, and lucky heather will be scarcer than hens teeth to find.

To quote from another thread "hens don't have any teeth!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
[img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img] Re: Dentist taking new patients!!!
Quote: (Originally Posted by Neil)
Shhhhhhh dont tell everyone.

NHS dentists are like hens teeth.
Hens don't have any teeth!......

Last edited by Neil; 01-05-2011 at 12:41.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 11:31   #52
God Member

I noticed in passing, while I was in the newsagent's this morning, that the Sun carries a screaming headline of £30 Million Handout to Gypsy sites as well as funding from the National Lottery...What's all this about?
Old 21-03-2005, 17:27   #53
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I noticed in passing, while I was in the newsagent's this morning, that the Sun carries a screaming headline of £30 Million Handout to Gypsy sites as well as funding from the National Lottery...What's all this about?
It's just the usual madness - the Samaritans are in deep financial trouble because they lost their Lottery funding - but we can afford it for this shiftless lot. And why shouldn't the powers that be give £30 million to gypsy sites - it isn't their money, they don't have to go out and earn it. It's OURS.

The name of the game is political correctness. I think I might apply for Lottery funding, claiming that I am a one-legged, black, German-speaking, lesbian who wants to run a playgroup for badly behaved (sorry, Attention Deficit Disorder) children - what do you reckon my chances of a handout are?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 17:35   #54
I am Banned

the simple answer is dont play the lottery

richard branson has been refused the licence twice because he said he would donate ALL proffits to charity and most of it would be in the uk and propper charities would benefit not child molestors and drug addicts

time after time though the government gives the licence to the usa company and ime betting its because someone somwhere is getting a big bribe

how can branson not be classed the better person he would give all profits to charity

ime not sure but i dont think charity is taxed so maybe thats why govenment dosnt like him
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 17:44   #55
I am Banned

One thing is there's gonna be nowt left in this country soon because this country is soo badly run n all this pc madness!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2005, 17:45   #56
I am Banned

Pc = politically correctness not meaning computers pmsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
One thing is there's gonna be nowt left in this country soon because this country is soo badly run n all this pc madness!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2005, 00:56   #57
Resident Waffler

Just getting back to the subject of gypsies/travellers. All this waffle about them being an ethnic minority is a load of twaddle. We're not talking about real gypsies here. These are not people of a minority ethnic group. They are the same ethnic group as many others who do not behave in the same way and whose human rights are being abused.

They are simply people who prefer to live in caravans rather than houses or prefer not to stay in one location permanently. Ok, I have no problem with that. Good luck to them. BUT what I do feel I have a right to complain about is the mess left behind. If I put my caravan in a public place and then left rotting rubbish outside of it I would expect to be arrested and the caravan towed away.

If we were on a campsite and made too much noise the other campers would be justified in complaining and we'd probably be asked to behave or depart.

We have our caravan in a farmer's field near Carnforth but when we wanted to do something as simple as erect a wind generator we asked permission of the land owner. And we pay for the privilege of keeping our caravan there. They should be subject to the same sort of thing. What about the rights of the owners of the land they move onto and stake a claim on? What about the original inhabitants of the villages whose lives they make a misery? Not to mention the fall in property values.

All we're talking about here is equality. Why should any acts have to be repealed? What about the human rights of the rest of us who don't go around breaking the law?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 23-03-2005 at 00:59.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2005, 23:52   #58

Willow, I so agree with your comments, as, I'm sure, many of us on here do so.....

BUT, we feel powerless... how can we possibly make our feelings known??

Elections are coming up, but, how fair are they?? Postal rigging springs to mind...

So much corruption, we are in danger of becoming a 'Third World' country...

I despair... my vote, alone, is not enough...

What can I do, to ensure the quality of life my grandchildren deserve??????????
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 19:32   #59

Hey,

I've recently taken over the printers pub in oswaldtwistle and "The Green" are my neighbours. Before i moved here i've never met a traveller before and I have to say there the nicest people ive met that cant do enough for me. Just wanted to clear up this pre-conception people have about them. There is good and bad in any community..That is all

On another note I'll be having a wake in the pub for one of the traveler teenagers thats passed away may he rest in peace x
Princess Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 20:30   #60
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Cherie View Post
Hey,

I've recently taken over the printers pub in oswaldtwistle and "The Green" are my neighbours. Before i moved here i've never met a traveller before and I have to say there the nicest people ive met that cant do enough for me. Just wanted to clear up this pre-conception people have about them. There is good and bad in any community..That is all

On another note I'll be having a wake in the pub for one of the traveler teenagers thats passed away may he rest in peace x
As you do a moonlight away from the place in the not too distant future you may have cause to eat those words.

By the way, why do you suppose there is such a large turnover of Managers there?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..