Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2006, 19:08   #16
Resting in peace

Re: Happy New Mosque

Quote:
Kipax Tell me Ianto.W ..if you wanted somehting to happen and the only way you could was to use the media.. would you? or would it dusturb you too much... I think we all know the answer
You have just given me an idea Kipax, why not use the media to try to get the grant done on my property, after all Countess St, parts of Woodnook have had fortunes spent on them, i've only been waiting for 20years to no avail.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-12-2006, 19:16   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post

if this mosque has been built in the asian comunity there then there shouldnt be a problem but if its been built eslewhere then their needs should have come second especialy with most against it
Nothing new has been built. A disused Methodist church has bee bought and permission applied for to change it's use to a mosque from what I can gather. Same thing has happened many times elsewhere. There must be enough muslims in the Clitheroe area to make it worthwhile so why shouldn't they have their own local place of worship?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 19:30   #18
I am Banned

regardless of built or not the result is a mosqu which has teh potential for problems for residents near by who have to live and put up with it

didnt say they shouldnt have a place to worship i said it shoudl be in tehir own area , if it is then no problem
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 19:33   #19
God Member

I am a tad suprised that a church was considered. I always thought they were somehow consicrated on virgin land the same way we used to do with churches.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 19:35   #20
Resident Waffler

We don't always do that with churches either - I've been to church in rented rooms, once in a Masonic lodge and once at the British Legion where we had to clear up fag ends before we started.

Old 22-12-2006, 19:38   #21
God Member

Looks like I need some more education Willow. Never realised that this happened at all.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 22:05   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
regardless of built or not the result is a mosqu which has teh potential for problems for residents near by who have to live and put up with it

didnt say they shouldnt have a place to worship i said it shoudl be in tehir own area , if it is then no problem

I think for the Muslims that live in and around Clitheroe it is their own area.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2006, 22:47   #23
Resident Waffler

Atheist might feel they have to 'put up with' churches in their area

Old 22-12-2006, 23:34   #24
Resting in Peace

You are still all missing the point here .. was the 'obscure' planning permission that was the issue after at least eight submissions (I think) and pressures that were brought to 'persuade' a council to consent to this application.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 01:15   #25
I am Banned

worship should be done at home i dont see why normal people should have their lives distrupted because the more guilable people feel they have to dedicate a portion of their lives to a non existing enitity

BAN ALL RELIGEION its all bollox anyway
Old 23-12-2006, 01:29   #26
God Member

just a step further to taking a bit more of the community over IMHO.....Im with the opposed ....... sorry..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 03:07   #27
Senior Member+

golden domes?! *L*

this is clitheroe not saudi arabia

2ndly its a church - u'd b putting the whole thing into structurally unsound if u start altering the roof

finally everyones lookin at clitheroe as to what will happen

u dont need to look far - look how long that church on higher antley street (?) has been a mosque - i was a knee high kipper when that was made a mosque last i checked there was no domes or imam calls even if thats in a muslim populated area of accy all that i think has happened is that the front walls have been changed and a new lick of paint on the outside

look at the former social club thats a mosque now on blackburn rd (where the riaz funeral was held) thats undergone HUGE changes both internally and externally yet i still cant say that theres any golden domes.

yeah there are golden domes etc in blackburn - but those are purpose built ones
Old 23-12-2006, 03:17   #28
Always EVIL within us

What's all the fuss about?

If the Muslim community consider that the expense of building a Mosque is worth it because of the numbers of Muslims in that area, then why not?

How many of those snobbish/racist people from Clitheroe attend their own Christian churches?

Does anyone know if, when you object to any "planning permission" do you have to state reasons for your objections? I would love to see some of those "objections" if this is the case! Is "parking" the only problem? At least they are doing everything correctly and above board!

In Luton, (Bedfordshire) a huge Mosque was built right in the centre of town without planning permission and the council were too scared to tell them to pull it down. There are NO facilities for parking and at times, Luton town centre becomes grid-locked through illegal parking. (Traffic wardens always happen to be on the other side of town on these occasions) There is gang warfare over ownership of the Mosque and deaths have resulted...........The council and police have not intervened

As for those that criticise the tactics used to gain permission to build in Clitheroe, just think, white middle-class / companies / even the poor that want to erect a cheap garage will use every trick in the book to gain permission from the council.........so why not Muslims??

Old 23-12-2006, 06:39   #29
I am Banned

would there be this much fuss if they had opened a curry house instead
Old 23-12-2006, 14:07   #30
Senior Member+

what's the problem ?
everyone has a right to practice their own faith so why not the muslims
i can understand certain concerns such as the parking issue and whether or not a great golden dome will be erected but as far as i can see as long as whatever building work they do is not out of character with the rest of the area and they don't go hollering from the rooftops at all hours of the day then why not supply the muslim community with a place of worship.
I doubt there would have been this much fuss if a new christian church was to be built instead. although i do wonder how much in government grants they have been given to build it

i know some people have accused me in the past of being a narrow minded racist but this is not the case as long as people are prepared to live alongside us british,abide by the laws of this land and not abuse the system
then its fine by me.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..