Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Back Stabbing The Armed Forces.

It was recently reported that the MOD has spent over TWO BILLION POUNDS for new MOD offices. To add insult to injury the procurement office has approved the spend, as cost effective.

Of course in the meantime flesh and blood in the shape of our armed forces have to fight without adequate equipment. Helicopters are being cannibalised for parts to keep others in the air. Troops are going out on highly dangerous patrols in Land Rovers because there are not enough armoured cars. Guns that jam. Ammunition that is defective. Indeed it has been reported that our brave soldiers have had to BORROW ammunition from the Americans. A number of our troops have been killed because there was insufficient body armour for every man/woman. Even food and water has been in short supply.

Back home the troops barracks and married quarters are not much more than hovels.

To cap it all the MOD is considering mothballing half the fleet in a cost cutting exercise. I understand that the naval dockyard is under threat too. But the MOD officials and senior ranks have to have plush new offices where they can sit and plan who to send to their death next.

It is no wonder that more people are leaving the armed forces than are joining.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01   #2
God Member

Re: Back Stabbing The Armed Forces.

Typical! Some desk jocky aint happy with his lot so goes crying to the govenment who in a warped wisdom deside he is a very important person. Sorry but he should have to work in a potacabin as the money is needed by frontline troops who are getting shot at running the gauntlet of bombs etc and the worst the Deskjoc is a heavy worded memo. The priorities are so fkd up its beyond belief. Its time the troops, Airforce and the Navy got the credit and equipment to keep up the men and women as the best in the world.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44   #3
Give, give, give member

The new chairs for each of the thousands of civil servants at the MOD, to sit on the arses, cost over £1,300. Which is more than the cost of a bullet proof vest, which are still not standard kit in Iraq.

Ridiculous.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 14:33   #4
Senior Member+

all i can say is god help us if there is ever an invasion

it'll be back to pitchforks and broom handles for us!!!!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 00:17   #5
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
all i can say is god help us if there is ever an invasion

it'll be back to pitchforks and broom handles for us!!!!
My Brother in Law informed me from Afganistan, that they would be glad of owt like that.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The new chairs for each of the thousands of civil servants at the MOD, to sit on the arses, cost over £1,300. Which is more than the cost of a bullet proof vest, which are still not standard kit in Iraq.

Ridiculous.
The front line troops should come first. The very least they should expect is proper equipment and not to have to make do and mend whilst the MOD sits in the lap of luxury.

Never mind, they might have new barracks to come back home to with some nice new fluffy rugs. Personally I'd rather have the bullet proof vest and a gun that actually works.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 19:52   #7

[quote=jambutty;364769]
Of course in the meantime flesh and blood in the shape of our armed forces have to fight without adequate equipment. Helicopters are being cannibalised for parts to keep others in the air. Troops are going out on highly dangerous patrols in Land Rovers because there are not enough armoured cars. Guns that jam. Ammunition that is defective. Indeed it has been reported that our brave soldiers have had to BORROW ammunition from the Americans. A number of our troops have been killed because there was insufficient body armour for every man/woman. Even food and water has been in short supply.quote]

Most recently, four British Royal Marines were strapped to the underside of an Apache attack helicopter when embarking upon a rescue mission. VERY dangerous.....and highlighting the shortage of light tactical helicopters. Indeed, much equipment is being "borrowed" from U.S. forces.

I've been wondering.....is this a prelude to subsuming the great British military into a larger EU force? If that happens, you guys won't have the flexibility to choose what is necessary to defend and what isn't.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 20:21   #8
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post

Most recently, four British Royal Marines were strapped to the underside of an Apache attack helicopter when embarking upon a rescue mission. VERY dangerous.....and highlighting the shortage of light tactical helicopters.

I read that story, Bulleyebarb, and I believe that you miseed the bullseye this time! In fact, I've now read several account and not one of them indicates that these soldiers felt that they were undersupplied.

There were three Apache helicopters. The real problem here is that the Apache is only a two-seater, one of which is occupied by the pilot. As more soldiers needed to go along, the Apache was not an appropriate choice for the rescue mission. But, when time is of the essence, as in this rescue mission, good soldiers improvise with what they have at hand. Virtually no army ever has every conceivable weapon instantly available. Frankly, give the stubby wings, I don't think that strapping more than two soldiers to the AH-64 helicopter would be practical/

Here's the link: http://news.bostonherald.com/interna...ticleid=177642

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 21:15   #9

Perhaps. However, according to U.K. military spokesman Lt.Col. Rory Bruce, it is believed to be the first time British forces ever tried this type of rescue mission. They were incredibly brave, considering that the mobility of this type of helicopter would have been heavily restricted and extremely vulnerable throughout the operation. Any loss would have been a propaganda coup for the enemy. I have been following closely all stories of shortages and substandard equipment. Land vehicles have been a topic of much discussion also. Obviously, this is not an isolated incident.
Old 17-01-2007, 21:20   #10
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Perhaps. However, according to U.K. military spokesman Lt.Col. Rory Bruce, it is believed to be the first time British forces ever tried this type of rescue mission. They were incredibly brave....
That statement I certainly agree with. It also was a fine display of the sort of military improvisation that can often make a huge difference between success and death.

Old 18-01-2007, 12:49   #11
Resting in peace

Quote:
bullseyebarb, I have been following closely all stories of shortages and substandard equipment. Land vehicles have been a topic of much discussion also. Obviously, this is not an isolated incident.
This is not the first conflict where the equiptment was not up to the job, as we are all aware sand and dust is the enemy of any motor vehicles, helicopters etc. To bring to mind a certain USA ill fated rescue attemt of hostages, suffered the same fate because the helicopters were not equipped to deal with the conditions. Also shortages are not just in equiptment, but skilled engineers to repair what the army already have, shortages come in many disguises.
Old 18-01-2007, 13:17   #12
God Member

Just bring them all home.
Sending these lads out there is just sending them out to die for no cause.

Saddam has been caught. It's just a civil war out there now. Why are British and American soldiers even there??
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 13:51   #13
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Saddam has been caught. It's just a civil war out there now. Why are British and American soldiers even there??
Apparently, some of our leaders didn't learn much from the experience in Vietnam - or from how Eastern Europe moved to democracy.

Our kids will be paying for this folly for many decades to come.

Old 18-01-2007, 23:02   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Oil shakermaker if they had no oil, we would be trying to sell them cement they have enough sand of their own, and maybe de-salination plants, on second thoughts we would probably be giving them aid, as without oil they would have no money to buy owt.
Old 20-01-2007, 20:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Apparently, some of our leaders didn't learn much from the experience in Vietnam - or from how Eastern Europe moved to democracy.

Our kids will be paying for this folly for many decades to come.

No, they didn't. Viet Nam was not lost on the ground but in Washington. And many of the same rancid politicians are still up there and ready to repeat the '70's. Millions of people were slaughtered in Southeast Asia as a result of what they did then. Only difference is that the North Vietnamese had no interest in attacking America.

You are right......our kids will be paying for this - if we repeat the same mistakes we made back then.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..