Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2005, 23:48   #1
Always EVIL within us

Haworth Gallery

Today I managed to find the time to visit the Haworth Gallery to view the works by Peter Blake, the man responsible for the cover of the Beatles "Sgt. Pepper" album. I was quite excited by the prospect but found his work to be a total load of c***!!!

Art is essentially a personal thing, I do not consider stained bed sheets nor piles of bricks to be artistic in any sense of the word....and what I viewed today was in my opinion, not worthy of marks in a G.C.E. exam.

The thumbnails below (in order) are:
1) His finished work on the Album cover,
2) His original sketch
3) P.C. Errors made with the original idea (in "words"see attached files below)
4) His exhibit called "Sumo"
5) His exhibit called "zebra"

He did not "paint" or "draw" these, he merely cut out (badly) pictures from books and framed them.........

What do you think??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peppercover.jpg (59.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: gif sketch.gif (15.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sumo.jpg (90.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Art Museum Zebra Jan 05 005.jpg (66.2 KB, 24 views)
Attached Files
File Type: doc The cover of Sgt.doc (28.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Busman747; 23-01-2005 at 23:52.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2005, 00:01   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Haworth Gallery

In contrast, tucked round a corner and out of the limelight, there was work by a lady (can't recall her name) that impressed me greatly with her 3D work with sequins!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Art Museum Jan 05 006.jpg (144.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Art Museum Jan 05 007.jpg (61.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 24-01-2005, 00:13   #3
I am Banned

sory for going slightly off topic here but i recently visited haworth art gallery one weekend hoping to take my kids to do some brass rubbing like i used to do when i was younger there

unfortunatly they only pull them out of storage during the week which sucks because i only see my kids weekends

not the most exciting thing i know but it should be a break from sitting google eyed at the xbox

you would think they would have them out at weekends as more people are able to visit then and would also make little extra cash for the gallery

ime betting hyndburn council is responsible somewhere along the line lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 06:52   #4
Resident Waffler

Personally I thought the amateur things done by the kids, which were put up alongside Peter Blake's "work", showed a lot more artistic merit - and I agree with you chav1 about the brass rubbings. Surely more children in general would benefit from them being available at the weekend. My girls have done them in the past.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 11:30   #5
Senior Member+

Like the sequin stuff, busman.The other is rubbish.
Old 24-01-2005, 15:14   #6

I had never been to howarth art gallery until a couple of moths back, and i was thoroughly dissappointed. There was nothing out they said we put it in storage because it was out of season. If you want a decent musuem that has art work in it go to Townley hall it has some great stuff.
Old 24-01-2005, 18:13   #7
Senior Member+

i agree art apeals to different people with different tastes.what i like somebody else will hate.thats the main appeal of it.if everybody was the same we wouldnt be having this discusion
Old 25-01-2005, 07:32   #8

Thanks Busman. I shall see the Sgt. Pepper album cover in a whole new light from now on. In my younger days I was naive enough to believe that this was the tip of some greater artistic iceberg the depths of which I may not have been able to comprehend. Now I see that it is merely one of his better efforts at cut and paste.

Pity you didn't photograph some of the children's work to compare alongside.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2005, 07:39   #9
God Member

Neither HBC nor Accrington Borough Council, which preceded it, have had much time for Howarth Art Gallery. I have the suspicion that if it wasn't for the collection of Tiffay Glass the house would have gone the way of Arden Hall and Rhyddings Hall long ago. This is a great pity. Norman Potter did his best during his time as Curator but struggling against council indifference and lack of funding meant that it was an uphill battle all the way.

The performance of the current curator, Jennifer Rennie, inspires little confidence. She appears to be content to let Mid Pennine Arts make all the decisions, as do HBC. Once again the people of Hyndburn are shortchanged because the council are incapable of exercising any kind of imagination. If the constant cry is "we cannot afford it", why then are they not constantly petitioning the National Lottery to help out?

Haworth Art Gallery, and it's contents, belong to the people of Accrington. It was given to us by the Haworth's to be an imperishable resource to provide recreation and to improve the quality of our lives. Accrington Borough Council, and their successors HBC, were given the task of managing it and enriching it on our behalf. But, as with so many such responsibilities, the Arts and culture are the first things to go when cash is required to fund projects that are considered politically expedient.

Perhaps the proposals contained in the "Ambition Lancashire" plan will make a difference, now that HBC is constrained to consider the need to increase tourism in the borough. But, as has been observed in many other threads, if they can manage to evade their responsibilities for thirty years there seems little hope that they will begin to take them seriously again any time soon. And whatever improvement is seen will be cosmetic at best.
Old 02-03-2005, 16:49   #10
Give, give, give member

Howarth Art Gallery.

I think it's great, and we're lucky too have it. Much nicer than anything Blackburn has!
l do think some of the exhibitions are awful. Community art is good, & it's the right place to show it, but they had old peoples memory collages from Salford not Hynburn.
I also think the Tiffany glass collection was much easier to appreciate in the old dark room, rather than the new expensive displays, which are terribly lit.
The cafes nice, much better than the old tea machine, & the people that work there are lovely.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 16:51   #11
Member.

Re: Howarth Art Gallery.

Do you know I've never been, Not ever. something I'll have to do soon I think.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 16:56   #12
Give, give, give member

Go you might hate it, but we're all paying for it!
They have a fantastic collection of paintings, but only show a few, and don't rotate them enough in my opinion.
It has great veiws over the hills, now they've had the sense to cut back the shrubs.

Old 02-03-2005, 17:07   #13
Member.

I don't mind Art; I certainly love heritage and antiques and I’m sure I’d love it when I do get there.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-03-2005, 17:16   #14
Give, give, give member

l'm sure you'll like it then, it's an imposing house full of amazing details.
They had an exhibtion on Jon Anderson last year which was really popular, people came from all over the country.
It's closed in the mornings, & l think a couple of days in the week, but is open from noon, Sat. & Sun.
AND ITS FREE.

Old 02-03-2005, 17:33   #15
Member.

Thanks for that garinda. I'll make the effort.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..