Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2019, 15:25   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Health & Safety...

...Or Just Another Way Of Making Brass?

I was in a local pub, two young ladies fitting a new machine it was a phone charger booth.

The landlord went around putting up signs saying folk could no longer use his sockets to charge mobiles but must use the new booth because there is less risk of fire, (it also costs a pound a time).
He was quite proud of this new device and because he knew I'm a bit of a tekkie wanted to show it me, I asked, have you had any fires? no was the reply, do you know anyone that has had any fires? no was the reply.

Well in that case, why are you trying to force people to use an illegal device?

It's not illegal it's brand new, all the pubs in Accy are having them installed.

Ah yes but not free, it costs a pound a time, surely if you are going to charge for charging the machine should be legal?

How is it not legal? he asked Well basically because it plugs into a 13 amp socket which makes it a portable appliance and all portable appliances must be PAT tested and have a sticker applied to show that they are safe.
In fact all your equipment using sockets should have been tested so hitting the public for a pound a time for them to be legal hardly seems fair unless you bring the rest in here up to date.

You and other landlords shouldn't screw about with safety you should adhere to the laws before applying them to others.

He looked nervous this was going to cost him money IF he did that.

To put him at his ease I said don't worry too much, Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) has been law since 1992. Brought in to beat the EU's less comprehensive laws, I've yet to see it cause any prosecutions. In fact it became more or less useless when all appliances had to be sold with a plug already fitted.

But, if ever I want to charge my 'phone using my own charger please don't try to stop me until your pub is legally up to date.

(I was only joking I always carry a battery back up pack to charge my 'phone plus he'd probably do me for stealing his electric).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2019, 15:36   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Health & Safety...

Oh Less....I DO like your style.
Well done!

So pleased that I will never need to use this facility.....don't have a mobile.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:49   #3

Well done.
Your information was not quite correct but funny all the same.
(Stickers are not legally required).
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 21:00   #4
Beacon of light

Ooh, I learned something there.
When I worked in the NHS.....all items had to have a label with the date tested and the signature of the tester.....I thought that was a legal requirement, but maybe it was just hospital policy.
Old 04-09-2019, 21:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Well done.
Your information was not quite correct but funny all the same.
(Stickers are not legally required).
I wonder why I had to put them onto machines that I had tested then????
Old 04-09-2019, 21:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ooh, I learned something there.
When I worked in the NHS.....all items had to have a label with the date tested and the signature of the tester.....I thought that was a legal requirement, but maybe it was just hospital policy.
Not just hospitals all businesses and work places are supposed to use pat testing and display a sticker once tested. Plus a permanent written record showing device type, test results & date tested must be kept for all portable devices.
Old 04-09-2019, 21:33   #7

Less that is incorrect, Portable Appliance Testing is not a legal requirement.
The legal requirement is that according to the workplace safety regulations, health and safety at work acts etc. that all appliances etc. must be safe for use and a way of showing this is to have them tested.
There is no requirement to display a label, nor record the test.

However, not doing so removes the ability to show that you have taken steps to ensure that it is safe so it is reccomended to do so.

I'm sad, I have my own PAT tester lol
Old 04-09-2019, 21:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Less that is incorrect, Portable Appliance Testing is not a legal requirement.
The legal requirement is that according to the workplace safety regulations, health and safety at work acts etc. that all appliances etc. must be safe for use and a way of showing this is to have them tested.
There is no requirement to display a label, nor record the test.

However, not doing so removes the ability to show that you have taken steps to ensure that it is safe so it is reccomended to do so.

I'm sad, I have my own PAT tester lol
I think you need to Google some facts, just to help you get started:-
https://www.pat.org.uk/pat-testing-regulations/
Old 04-09-2019, 21:45   #9

Please note, it does say pat testing has to be carried out by a competent person and by competent I suspect they mean someone that knows the regulations which DO include stickers & permanent records.
There are regular courses at most technical colleges to make a person competent.
Old 04-09-2019, 21:46   #10

Just in case you cannot read:
Quote:
The current law requires that all employers maintain portable appliances and ensure their safety.

See https://www.pat.org.uk/is-pat-testin...l-requirement/

Just something to get you started too
Old 04-09-2019, 21:48   #11

BTW - I am one of those competent persons..
Old 04-09-2019, 21:50   #12

Just in case you choose not to trust a website that will also tell you how togrown tomatoes etc.

Here is a government one.
PAT (Portable appliance testing) - HSE's answers to popular questions
Old 04-09-2019, 21:54   #13
Beacon of light

I was the 'responsible person' for my unit....who kept a check on such items and also maintained an up to date register of equipment.
If it wasn't tested and stocked then it could not be used.
This was one of the reasons that electrical items could not be brought in from home and used on the ward.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:24   #14

That is often a company policy (as it must have been with the hospital too) as items from home may not be checked and if a faulty appliance is then used in the workplace and someone is harmed the company may become liable due to their allowing it.
Hence no using your own kit.

Pubs are notorious for having bad electrical installations, things have grown over the years, money not spent where it should have been etc.
If the fitted appliances/charging points were new then there is no need to test them as there is an assumption that they have just been tested by the manufacturer.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..