Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Heatwave

It might depend on what type of window you have, but maybe something like this would be OK.
Portable Air Conditioner Venting FAQ - Portable AC Information
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Half your luck Margaret. It's bl...y freezing here.
And we've had temps in the mid 30s for a couple of weeks ... heat advisories and smog from the forest fires in Quebec ... but we are lucky in Kingston; its always a few degrees cooler by the lake. All in all, beating the heat is a lot easier on my system than shovelling snow at -25 And there are always cold brewskies in the fridge
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:34   #18
Senior Member+

When we had a big static caravan it got unbearably hot in summer, like being in a big tin box, which I suppose they are.
I installed a aircon machine and piped the exhaust through the caravan wall. It was much easier than cutting a hole through a brick wall. The outlet was sealed and a grill over the outside to stop creepy crawlies getting in.
It worked OK as long as the doors and windows were kept closed.
The van was 40 foot by 12 and the rooms 7 foot high, 3360 cubic feet and the machine just about coped with it.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:15   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
No - and it wouldn't work if I had - the hot air outlet needs to be higher than the machine in order to 'exhaust'
Suggest you get a "Split Unit" type A/C. Interior unit is only a distribution fan unit, all the work is done outside, either at low or high level - only two refrigerant pipes and a power lead goes through the wall.
Old 08-07-2013, 16:13   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Suggest you get a "Split Unit" type A/C. Interior unit is only a distribution fan unit, all the work is done outside, either at low or high level - only two refrigerant pipes and a power lead goes through the wall.
As a tenant, I can't put anything 'through the wall'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 16:43   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Never stopped me when I was a tenant
Old 08-07-2013, 17:30   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Never stopped me when I was a tenant
You had a woman telling you what to do, she has no-one to blame if the Landlord calls.
MargaretR and Restless like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:38   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You had a woman telling you what to do, she has no-one to blame if the Landlord calls.
Nope, it was me that wanted the outside tap and the cables through the wall for the satellite dishes
Old 08-07-2013, 21:31   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Write to the landlord requesting permission with an explanation of what is intended, the reasons for, and a promise to make good at any future date, should that be required. You would need to check but I think one 50mm hole would suffice, which would then be sealed after installation.
Old 08-07-2013, 22:02   #25
Senior Member+

However you go about it Margaret, I think you need to seal the vent, the link I posted earlier seams the least hassle if it fits your kind of window, if not, there may be other kinds for different windows, or maybe even a joiner, glazier or some other trade that could knock you something up. But with it sealed your air conditioner will work better, the room will be cooler, cost less and no bugs, gases or pollen will be able to get in.
Old 08-07-2013, 23:06   #26
God Member

I am hoping that I won't have this problem when I move in two weeks time. I will be ground floor - top floor folk have a 'heat from loft' problem.

As a new tenant I won't be asking for anything until I am well established as a good tenant.

Old 08-07-2013, 23:26   #27
God Member

Green Deal scheme: Residents living in homes insulated under Government initiative could die from OVERHEATING | Mail Online
- "The elderly and infirm as well as people living on the top floor"

I told you so first
Stevie R likes this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-07-2013 at 23:28.
Old 08-07-2013, 23:50   #28
God Member

government seems obsessed with lagging theres adverts for free lagging everywhere

instea dof turning houses into saunas how about forcing teh likes of bgritish gas to play fair with pricing so peopel can use gas when needed without worry of bankruptcy

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14   #29
Senior Member+

Having good insulation doesn't just keep in the heat, in the summer it helps keep the heat out.
HowStuffWorks "Insulation"
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22   #30
God Member

Also having large windows (which I have) increases interior heat by solar gain, even if they are double glazed. When these flats were built in the 70s it was 'fashionable' to have extra wide windows - in the lounge and bedroom the windows occupy 90% of the horizontal wall space of the exterior wall.

http://www.greenspec.co.uk/windows.php

I have dropped and closed the venetian blinds to all my windows except the one I have to put the exhaust pipe through.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..