Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2010, 18:46   #1

How much was your gas bill

Struth just received my winter bill, looks like asda is going to suffer for the next couple of months, Aldi here I come. £360, not bad some may think but I am out at work from 7.30 till 6pm
Is this an average sort of bill or is my boiler eating the stuff
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2010, 20:42   #2
God Member

Re: How much was your gas bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
How much was your gas bill
too much

when highwaymen were finaly gotten rid off up cam british gas

watchdog have repeatedly proven them to be liars to as why they didnt reduce prices when oil prices dropped

the govenment should have stepped in long ago and put them straight

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 20:53   #3

I pay 12euros a fortnight. BUT, i use a gas bottle. Don't have central heating. But when i was in England, i used to dread winter.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 21:14   #4
Junior Member+

Duggie,
Was your last bill estimated?if it was, you are paying for a bit of your previous bill as well.Mine was £280 plus,but running baths every other day (two young boys)
I agree,they have got you (gas companys)what can you do,i have a coal fire as well, it's not any cheaper than burning gas,but you don't get a bill at the end of the quarter and it keeps the gas bill down.British gas are loosing out to my local coal merchant, Kevj.

Last edited by Mick; 26-02-2010 at 05:55. Reason: bad language
kevj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 21:15   #5
God Member

My gas for the 1/4 ending 8th Jan was £48.actual not estimated
I have a new condenser boiler and 4 radiators in a 1 bed flat.
The heating and hot water are on 24/7.
The thermostat is set at 24c daytime, lowered to 22c at night.

I was a bit surprised too, but my hot water use has gone down dramatically since I got a dishwasher, so that partly explains it.

I have good insulation - loft, cavity wall, double glazing - provided by landlord
I have added to this by using Thermilate paint additive on ceilings and exterior walls, and have floor to ceiling lined velvet curtains in lounge and bedroom. All windows have blinds and curtains.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 21:23   #6
God Member

PS it is possible for meters to run fast and slow - I have had both in the past.
It looks as though I might have another slow one developing - so shush - the time to worry is when it starts going backwards and they notice and replace it

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-02-2010 at 21:26.
Old 25-02-2010, 21:34   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ours was £420 about 3/4 weeks ago,
Old 26-02-2010, 07:28   #8
Senior Member+

I'm on a meter so don't get a bill but up until this last week have been putting between £30 and £40 a week on the gas
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 07:48   #9

just got mine for last quarter and its £430 actual.....gonna struggle to pay that one offa my £89 per week
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:10   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My gas for the 1/4 ending 8th Jan was £48.actual not estimated
I have a new condenser boiler and 4 radiators in a 1 bed flat.
The heating and hot water are on 24/7.
The thermostat is set at 24c daytime, lowered to 22c at night.

I was a bit surprised too, but my hot water use has gone down dramatically since I got a dishwasher, so that partly explains it.

I have good insulation - loft, cavity wall, double glazing - provided by landlord
I have added to this by using Thermilate paint additive on ceilings and exterior walls, and have floor to ceiling lined velvet curtains in lounge and bedroom. All windows have blinds and curtains.
I find my gas bill has come down since the switch to radiators from blow heating Margaret, and I set my thermostat to the ones you us as well 24 and 22
Old 26-02-2010, 09:37   #11

I'm pretty sure that my gas bill has gone down since replacing the boiler for a more efficient one.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 10:03   #12
Common Sense Member

'Regulator'. It's one of those neologisms for someone who represents the best interests of the consumer but allows companies to make collossal profits, rip everyone off and then say it's justified.

When my dual fuel bill suddenly hiked up to £130 per month I decided that it was time to open up the chimney and install a stove. Initially, it's quite an expensive move but you make your money back within 18 months.

The coal merchant's smiling face tells me that I'm not alone.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 11:19   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I find my gas bill has come down since the switch to radiators from blow heating Margaret, and I set my thermostat to the ones you us as well 24 and 22
I am surprised that you ever used that warm air heating system.
I soon replaced it with wall mounted electric panels for the couple of years before we got the radiator system.
It must have played havoc with your asthma. I got severe rhinitis, was tested for allergies (negative), and the conclusion was - the sheer volume of airbourne dust from the vents was irritating my nasal passages.
I had noticed that the amount of sediment in my air filtration machines had increased.

Back on thread topic -
I have realised another possible cause for my gas bill being so low
(other than a possibly faulty meter and good insulation)
My hot water use is negligible, because of my difficulties in using the bath
(as explained in my 'Hyndburn Homes shower install' thread).
Warm wet flannel wipe downs, and a shallow bath once a week seems to have saved money.

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-02-2010 at 11:21.
Old 26-02-2010, 11:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
'Regulator'. It's one of those neologisms for someone who represents the best interests of the consumer but allows companies to make collossal profits, rip everyone off and then say it's justified.

When my dual fuel bill suddenly hiked up to £130 per month I decided that it was time to open up the chimney and install a stove. Initially, it's quite an expensive move but you make your money back within 18 months.

Snap Ken! Our dual fuel reached £125 two years ago & we installed log burner. I know what you mean about coal merchant's face .

Bothers me though that despite this, my duel fuel now stands at £145 (although am a childminder, so use central heating during day).

Moneysavingexpert says I need to swap though as have been with same provider (Scottish Power) four four years.
jenibrindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

(Regulators?) Jobs for the boys to ensure that ‘fat cats’ stay fat cats.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..