Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 23:19   #181
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

me n wyn discussed this matter in the Calder sat afternoon, and came to the conclusion - sod it we dont care, both of us are perfectly happy to revert back to accrington.
Old 10-06-2007, 23:42   #182
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
me n wyn discussed this matter in the Calder sat afternoon, and came to the conclusion - sod it we dont care, both of us are perfectly happy to revert back to accrington.
...no one particularly cares for the damn name Hyndburn, but are you prepared to pay for it to be changed, at the cost of cuts in services?

At least Hyndburn is an all encompassing, non-specific name, and pays lip service to the fact that the majority of people in the borough don't actually live in Accrington.

The word on the street that I've heard is that people are more concerned with quality of service provided by the council, and not rebranding.

I close with the comment again, NOT ONE OF US ACTUALLY SAY WE LIVE IN HYNDBURN, SO IT DOESN'T MATTER A JOT!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 23:50   #183
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whatever PB does he certainly will NOT give a Jot - what you or i think, its like having an english " Saddam"
Old 10-06-2007, 23:54   #184
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
whatever PB does he certainly will NOT give a Jot - what you or i think, its like having an english " Saddam"
No. At least Saddam gave the Iraqis nice statues of himself to brighten the place up. Accrington has got not one statue.

On second thoughts, scrub that horrible thought.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:06   #185
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...no one particularly cares for the damn name Hyndburn, but are you prepared to pay for it to be changed, at the cost of cuts in services?
PRECISELY!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:54   #186
God Member

I read in the Telegraph this morning that over 90% of people at the Oswaldtwistle Area Council were in favour of the name change. As I wasn't there I missed out on that so I don't know if there was a full discussion of the costs (which by the way, no one has managed to put any real figures to despite us asking).

Anyway, it would appear that we have little choice in the matter so let's hope they get it right.

If it's going to be done for the publicity reasons which appears to be the main one, then it needs to be done with a big splash. It needs a co-ordinated effort so that a date is selected and everything changes over on that date - including web design, stationary, vans, bins, signs and recycling bins. If it fizzles in then it will lose impact and be confusing. So, let's just wait and see if they get it right.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02   #187
Resident Waffler

Before they asked for any opinions or before they even suggested doing it there should have been a serious look at the cost and some itemisation of the information.

I doubt anyone even has a clue how much it's going to be.

Just saying 'It won't affect your council tax bill.' isn't good enough. If it won't affect the council tax then it's obviously going to affect something else (or possibly several something elses) and I for one would like to know what. Would it be too much to expect our council to be upfront about this for once?

May I also take this opportunity to remind PB and Co that when Shakespeare said "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." he also implied that a money wasting council by any other name is still a money wasting council and wasting even more money isn't going to make it smell any sweeter.

I hope you are going to ask him who is supposed to foot the bill for the name change of your Hyndburn connected organisations Gayle.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:49   #188
God Member

Well, I have asked on here and as I know that this site is continually monitored by the council then I'm fairly sure that someone will have read it. Whether they're choosing to ignore it or not is anyone's guess.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:55   #189
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well, I have asked on here and as I know that this site is continually monitored by the council then I'm fairly sure that someone will have read it. Whether they're choosing to ignore it or not is anyone's guess.
They may moan about what is being said on 'a local forum', via the letters page and a column in the local press, but it would be nice to think that as well as obviously reading Accy Web, they had the strength of their convictions to reply here.

Our Labour MP, and the leader of the Labour party on the council both make use of this facility.

Come on Tories, are you afraid of a fair debate, about issues which affect us all?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06   #190
God Member

To be fair (ish) I don't think it's just a tory issue - Graham has been on here with his letter of support for the idea.

Any one of them could let us know what the costs would be.

Last edited by Gayle; 11-06-2007 at 11:10.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:33   #191
Resident Waffler

I seriously don't think they have even considered the implications and how far reaching the costs will be. £20,000 for a handful of signs seems to be all that has occurred to them as yet.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:40   #192
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I seriously don't think they have even considered the implications and how far reaching the costs will be. £20,000 for a handful of signs seems to be all that has occurred to them as yet.
Might need a hell of a long time for the brain cells at HBC to reach full spead. Sadley by which time it will be too late and screams of a huge financial black hole will be heard.

If we can see issues that have been voiced here then why cant those in the town see them as well?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41   #193
Resident Waffler

Probably because they are looking at it through those infamous rose tinted specs PB advised us all the wear.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:58   #194
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
My second son is a director of a sign making firm, I asked him what he thought about the £20,000 set aside for signs, he replied it will not even cover the cost of the designs needed, never mind the manufacture and fitting of the new ones, added to that the time taken to remove rusted up old signs.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22   #195
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
To be fair (ish) I don't think it's just a tory issue - Graham has been on here with his letter of support for the idea.

Any one of them could let us know what the costs would be.
I doubt Graham knows the true cost either.

It was only yesterday that he remarked on this forum that the wheelie bins also have the Hyndburn logo on them, and will need to be changed.

Which colour sack do we put our discarded wheelie bins in?

Last edited by garinda; 11-06-2007 at 12:27.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..