Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2007, 19:29   #331
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

This all serves to highlite govt. stupidity, at an level, national, local etc. It is obviously a point for discussion; but it really changes nothing. I was raised in Clayton-le-Moors, renaming a jurisdiction is not going to change that. Still, as others have mentioned, when I see Hyndburn, the "Stink" comes to mind. But I do know that Accrington seems to be fairly well known, and for what particular reason I don't know. When I tell people where I am from, I get blank stares. If I then mention that it is near Accrington, many respond "I've heard of that." I think I know what response I would get if I mentioned "Hyndburn."

Maybe it is time that Lancashire separated from England. It has a distinct language and culture, surely that is enough.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2007, 19:37   #332
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Senator Office Furniture has quite a large employee base and has just taken over Planit Welding
Senator International - Profile
Planit Welding has been for many years the main supplier to Senator, of chair and desk frames. Taking this company over makes good financial sense, and also makes Senator the masters of their own destiny in this area of their operations.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 21:33   #333
Give, give, give member

As reported in this weekend's Observer, the mooted name change didn't receive the overwhelming support at one of the neighbourhood meetings, as it supposedly did at previous ones.

The tide's turning.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 21:40   #334
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As reported in this weekend's Observer, the mooted name change didn't receive the overwhelming support at one of the neighbourhood meetings, as it supposedly did at previous ones.

The tide's turning.
Which town was that meeting in Garinda?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 21:46   #335
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Which town was that meeting in Garinda?

You owe me. I went out to the recycling sack, hung in the shed, for you.

Church and Milnshaw wards.

Old 19-07-2007, 21:50   #336
God Member

Quote:
You owe me. I went out to the recycling sack, hung in the shed, for you.

Church and Milnshaw wards.
Aaaah thanks for that,going out to the shed in the dark.I hope you didn't stand on a slug as I did the other night when I nipped out to my shed...ugh.Didn't mean to put you to any trouble,just wondered if it was a meeting in Ossy that's all
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 21:55   #337
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Aaaah thanks for that,going out to the shed in the dark.I hope you didn't stand on a slug as I did the other night when I nipped out to my shed...ugh.Didn't mean to put you to any trouble,just wondered if it was a meeting in Ossy that's all
No trouble. I killed a snail, who was about to start on my sweetpeas, on the way back.

No, at the Ossy meeting the other week it was reported that it had 100% support from the imbeciles, oopsie...people, who were in attendance.

Old 20-07-2007, 08:23   #338
Resident Waffler

Quote:

The tide's turning.
Maybe people have begun to see through the whitewash and realise that it is going to cost money despite what PB says.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 09:20   #339
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Maybe people have begun to see through the whitewash and realise that it is going to cost money despite what PB says.
probably so but i still want it.
Old 20-07-2007, 09:40   #340
God Member

I loved what it said in the Observer.

....only ONE person voted to keep Hyndburn the same with roughly equal numbers agreeing to change or abstaining.

How on earth can you have roughly equal numbers to 'one' - it's either one person or not?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 09:43   #341
God Member

I was at a meeting last night and the subject came up (not as an official agenda point), I'm afraid I was quite vehement in my opposition to the change - after I'd finished I got a round of applause and was asked by a few people at the meeting if I could go to other meetings and speak as eloquently about it.

There are a lot of people opposed to the change but most of them think it's a fait accompli.

It will be discussed as an official agenda point at our next meeting at the end of August.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 10:01   #342
Resident Waffler

Good work Gayle.

It's a pity you didn't get elected. Maybe we wouldn't have been subjected to this nonsense then.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:08   #343
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I was at a meeting last night and the subject came up (not as an official agenda point), I'm afraid I was quite vehement in my opposition to the change - after I'd finished I got a round of applause and was asked by a few people at the meeting if I could go to other meetings and speak as eloquently about it.

There are a lot of people opposed to the change but most of them think it's a fait accompli.

It will be discussed as an official agenda point at our next meeting at the end of August.
Way to go!

Go for it.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:12   #344
Resident Waffler

Can you feel the good karma vibes Gayle?

Old 20-07-2007, 10:14   #345
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It's a pity you didn't get elected. Maybe we wouldn't have been subjected to this nonsense then.
Since Gayle was standing against Peter Britcliffe in last year's election, if she'd have won you can bet youi bottom dollar this idea wouldn't even have be an option.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..