Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2007, 19:11   #466
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Willow I think you missed what I was asking really, I just wanted to know if each area would be in charge of it's own finances as it used to be. I think most people prefered it when it was that way!!
Old 13-10-2007, 19:13   #467
Resident Waffler

No, it won't be but I think some people think it will be and have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or even an entirely different stick and voting for something which isn't actually on offer.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 21:54   #468
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
No, it won't be but I think some people think it will be and have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or even an entirely different stick and voting for something which isn't actually on offer.
Never thought of that Willow .. like that, like it a lot .. problem is nobody voting yet, as I can see.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 06:47   #469
God Member

I urge you all to read page 46 of today's Telegraph.

Snuck away at the back is the news that we will become Accrington and District in the New Year. Funny, but I don't remember reading the results of the consultation anywhere.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 20:59   #470
God Member

bump bump

Did anyone see the piece in the back of today's Telegraph?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 21:01   #471
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
bump bump

Yes I read it Gayle, seems like the decision has already been made if what they say is true.
Old 18-10-2007, 21:03   #472
God Member

This one ?

Trading In Its Name (from Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 18-10-2007, 22:09   #473
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
bump bump

It's actually the Chamber of Trade that's changing it's name, though Britcliffe seems to think that the borough name change is also a fait accompli.

Britcliffe's words that this will not cost anything, may come back to haunt him. I will make it my personal goal to find out all the true costs, if this change goes ahead.

By the way, Chamber of Trade?

I didn't know charity shops were allowed in those.

Accrington is dieing on it's arse, due to these incompetents on the council, who I wouldn't trust to manage a jumble sale, never mind a multi-million pound budget.

Still, if you can't succeed in the real business world, at least being in the Town Hall keeps them off the streets.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 22:14   #474
Resting in Peace

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW BLOODY DARE THEY !!!!!!

This is definitely war, what a blooming waste of our hard-earned money, a step back in time which will do no good to promote our area whatsoever.

I am furious that this decision seems to have been made on a whim of a jumped up councillors back.

They say sleep on a problem, yes, I will ... don't think I will feel any different tomorrow though.

( x 1,000)
Old 18-10-2007, 22:16   #475
God Member

The Traders seem to welcome the news.
Old 18-10-2007, 22:21   #476
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

It's actually the Chamber of Trade that's changing it's name, though Britcliffe seems to think that the borough name change is also a fait accompli.

Britcliffe's words that this will not cost anything, may come back to haunt him. I will make it my personal goal to find out all the true costs, if this change goes ahead.

By the way, Chamber of Trade?

I didn't know charity shops were allowed in those.

Accrington is dieing on it's arse, due to these incompetents on the council, who I wouldn't trust to manage a jumble sale, never mind a multi-million pound budget.

Still, if you can't succeed in the real business world, at least being in the Town Hall keeps them off the streets.

Maybe there'll be more about it in the Observer tomorrow. I don't think it was ever said that changing the name would cost nothing, what was said by the council at the start was that to change the name would cost in the region of £20,000 but it was stressed that it would not cost us any extra on next year's council tax. We will not see proof of that until we get our new bills next March.
Old 18-10-2007, 22:21   #477
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Ok, Garinda .. yes, you correct, however, the Telegraph (by the way Gayle bin looking for the National Paper all day) does state "when the borough changes its name earlier in the New Year".

Do you think they coud possibly be just making assumptions ? Or do they know summat we don't know ?
Old 18-10-2007, 22:23   #478
God Member

The way it reads the decision has already been made.
Old 18-10-2007, 22:27   #479
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The way it reads the decision has already been made.

It does read like that, Bernadette. Unless they're misleading us. Like I said, maybe there'll be a more detailed story in the Observer.
Old 18-10-2007, 22:27   #480
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Maybe there'll be more about it in the Observer tomorrow. I don't think it was ever said that changing the name would cost nothing, what was said by the council at the start was that to change the name would cost in the region of £20,000 but it was stressed that it would not cost us any extra on next year's council tax. We will not see proof of that until we get our new bills next March.
I know exactly what the council said. It was reported that they had put £20,000 aside out of their budget, which would be for new road signs, and which from my investigations would cover the cost and erection of only four signs, not even enough for Oswaldtwistle. No mention of it costing us anything else. We shall see.

As for the Hyndburn Chamber of Commerce, they are based at Scaitcliffe House, say no more.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..