Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 20:34   #616
Resting in peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
GayleTake for example the name change - meetings, area council meetings, questionnaires, etc - they do nothing but consult. If you want to make your views known to a councillor then it is incredibly easy to do so.
On an issue as important as the name change, I think a referendum of all that Hyndburn currently envelopes is called for, and let the majority decide, not one man.
Old 03-11-2007, 20:37   #617
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
On an issue as important as the name change, I think a referendum of all that Hyndburn currently envelopes is called for, and let the majority decide, not one man.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 21:39   #618
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No argument there, I agree that this issue is so emotive and so big that it needs a big consultation.
If Peter Britcliffe did this Gayle it would do a great deal for him, It would make him far more popular and would certainly give him added credibility, something he certainly does not enjoy at present Whatever the outcome, without eatablishing a precedent, as you say an emotive issue. The local polls are inacurate as non residents are involved in these, sorry Wynonie as I know your views on this issue are very strong.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 21:51   #619
God Member

If he were to hold some sort of public referendum, or even a more open consultation, he could personally win whatever the outcome of the vote.

If the vote is 'yes' then he wins hands down but even if the vote is 'no' he can say 'well I've listened to the people and I'm always prepared to go with what the people really want'. Win-win!

Old 03-11-2007, 21:55   #620
Super Moderator

Quote:
sorry Wynonie as I know your views on this issue are very strong.
No problem, Ian, you tell it the way you see it...

...and as you may imagine, I've got FAR more things to worry about at the moment!
Old 03-11-2007, 22:13   #621
Resting in peace

Quote:
If he were to hold some sort of public referendum, or even a more open consultation, he could personally win whatever the outcome of the vote.

If the vote is 'yes' then he wins hands down but even if the vote is 'no' he can say 'well I've listened to the people and I'm always prepared to go with what the people really want'. Win-win!
At present he is in a no win situation, with the added burden of 'owing Labour one, If the status quo persists it will always be Peters choice.
Old 03-11-2007, 22:16   #622
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No problem, Ian, you tell it the way you see it...

...and as you may imagine, I've got FAR more things to worry about at the moment!
I'm sure you have Regards to all Ian.
Old 03-11-2007, 22:36   #623
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think there is little no chance of a referendum on this issue, though I do wish it had been announced before the last elections, rather than straight after it, as it would have allowed for a little more open public debate about the issue, and all for free.

I noticed you've voted in favour of the name change Ian. Could I ask as to your reason's. Not being (too) nosey, just interested as to your thinking, and your arrivial at that decision.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 22:43   #624
God Member

Ooops, I've just checked the poll and I never voted - so call it 8 - 10. I can't believe I did that (or didn't should I say)!

I really thought I had.

Old 03-11-2007, 22:46   #625
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ooops, I've just checked the poll and I never voted - so call it 8 - 10. I can't believe I did that (or didn't should I say)!

I really thought I had.
Lol, the poll was added when the other thread was added to this one.

I just checked if I'd voted in it too.

Old 03-11-2007, 22:50   #626
God Member

I think I've made my views fairly clear anyway. I've even expressed my views to Britcliffe face to face so I don't think I need to say it any more.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:39   #627
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think there is little no chance of a referendum on this issue, though I do wish it had been announced before the last elections, rather than straight after it, as it would have allowed for a little more open public debate about the issue, and all for free.

I noticed you've voted in favour of the name change Ian. Could I ask as to your reason's. Not being (too) nosey, just interested as to your thinking, and your arrivial at that decision.
I did not want Hyndburn when they changed it in the first instance, just call me old fashioned Gary, Ossy's Ossy snuffy Ha'rrod is Gt harwood, Church is etc etc, all shoud have their own unique identity and be proud of it. People who live in all the distict Boroughs/Parishes are all different.
To be honest Gary I'd forgot i'd voted, but I would prefer a referendum, That would be fairer than Peter's' choice, in other words 'Hobsons choice'.
The name we had did us since Accrington was incorporated as a Borough about 1870/80 Quite a big deal in those days becoming a town.
Old 04-11-2007, 14:05   #628
Resident Waffler

But Ian don;t you see that within Hyndburn Ossy IS Ossy, Church is Church etc. ALL have an equal part of the one great whole of whuch Accrington is just another one of those parts. Renaming the Borough 'Accrington and Districts' will not be giving Ossy or Church or anywhere else their own individual identity like they had before the amalgamation. They will simply become anonymous districts of Accrington which bearing the boroughs name will become the most important part of the borough and the rest will be insignificant.

Do you really want that?

This isn't about going back to how it was before we had Hyndburn. This is about staying exactly as we are now but calling it Accrington and ignoring the names of all the other towns.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 18:22   #629
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But Ian don;t you see that within Hyndburn Ossy IS Ossy, Church is Church etc. ALL have an equal part of the one great whole of whuch Accrington is just another one of those parts. Renaming the Borough 'Accrington and Districts' will not be giving Ossy or Church or anywhere else their own individual identity like they had before the amalgamation. They will simply become anonymous districts of Accrington which bearing the boroughs name will become the most important part of the borough and the rest will be insignificant.

Do you really want that?

This isn't about going back to how it was before we had Hyndburn. This is about staying exactly as we are now but calling it Accrington and ignoring the names of all the other towns.
Let all the district become as they were with their own district councils as they were before, this system worked for years, it may be what Peter has in mind for the future?
Old 04-11-2007, 18:56   #630
Give, give, give member

Quote:
it may be what Peter has in mind for the future?
No, the name change after that is rumoured to Be St. Petersburg.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..