Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 21:47   #661
Super Moderator

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
On this issue Greg Pope's opinion is as valued as any other person's who lives in the borough, and who will have to pay for the proposed name change. No more, no less.
O-o-o-h! That hurts, Gary! That hurts!
Old 05-11-2007, 23:22   #662
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
O-o-o-h! That hurts, Gary! That hurts!
As I've said many times, my objection to this proposed name change comes down purely to the financial costs, versus the benefits to the people of the borough, which in my opinion are nonexistent.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 23:28   #663
Give, give, give member

...and since Greg Pope will still be representing the constituency of Hyndburn at Westminster, whatever the outcome, the only real beneficiaries will be Peter Britcliffe and whichever mayor is in office, so they don't get too giddy and flustered at Royal bunfights, when asked which borough council they're representing.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:59   #664

This is a quote form the minutes of clayton and Altham area Council meeting on 25/7/2007. - 'That the proposal to change the name of the Borough to Accrington and District, would provide a platform from which Accrington and the townships could promote their own idenities.'

I fail to see why we need to change the name of the Borough to do this - the old UDC's + the parish of Altham could still do this within the current name of Hyndburn. Why is the name of Accrington so special. has it got 'magical' properties that will make everything perfect so we will all live happily ever after.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 21:03   #665
Resident Waffler

Quite right.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:07   #666
Senior Member+

Renaming Borough Council Meeting resheduled for 4th Dec at 6pm, an hour early. Sounds like someone is covering himself to bury bads news at xmas. I suspect a big new announcement as well just in case the renaming doesn't go ahead.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23   #667
God Member

Anything to do with this?

Erskine Corporation LLP - Urban and rural regeneration consultants | News | Accrington town centre masterplan

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 13:44   #668
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Renaming Borough Council Meeting resheduled for 4th Dec at 6pm, an hour early. Sounds like someone is covering himself to bury bads news at xmas. I suspect a big new announcement as well just in case the renaming doesn't go ahead.

I was going to make every effort to be there, but I'm still away then.

Perhaps some other Accy Webbers might be there (to heckle ).

Old 07-11-2007, 19:53   #669
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

We haven't seen a double act like that since Morecambe and Wise
Old 07-11-2007, 21:17   #670
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

I was going to make every effort to be there, but I'm still away then.

Perhaps some other Accy Webbers might be there (to heckle ).
Well, I'll do me best, but don't finish work particularly in time to get there ... is this a strategy or what !!!!!

Do these councillors not have a job ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 21:33   #671
Resident Waffler

No clue as to what the masterplan is?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 22:09   #672
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do these councillors not have a job ...
Don't know about all the other councillors, but Peter Britcliffe hasn't, since he came out of ladies frocks...hence the massive pay rise he recently awarded himself.

Morecambe and Wise?

How very dare you!

More like Cannon and Ball.

Bagsy Balls.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:54   #673
Senior Member+

Its a Town Council for Great Harwood. It will be in the Observer though no-one else knows about it. Got tipped off yesterday. Ob aren't having a Labour/opposition comment.

Labour Councilors have been working on this for two years. We have worked to help the Tories to see if we can implement Parish and Town Councils and if they are worth the bother. We have brought delegations from Lancashire County Council, Padiham Town Council and Worsthorne Parish Council to give their views on how it may work.

Clearly Clr Britcliffe has listened and then run to the press to claim all the glory. No wonder no-one trusts anyone else and litlle progress is made.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35   #674
Resting in peace

Quote:
Its a Town Council for Great Harwood. It will be in the Observer though no-one else knows about it. Got tipped off yesterday. Ob aren't having a Labour/opposition comment.

Labour Councilors have been working on this for two years. We have worked to help the Tories to see if we can implement Parish and Town Councils and if they are worth the bother. We have brought delegations from Lancashire County Council, Padiham Town Council and Worsthorne Parish Council to give their views on how it may work.

Clearly Clr Britcliffe has listened and then run to the press to claim all the glory. No wonder no-one trusts anyone else and litlle progress is made.
Graham if you go to post 618 you will find that I suggested this in that post, obviously Peter Britcliffe is reading these collumns. Giving back the outlying districts their identity, is a real vote winner, do not let him steal all the thunder for this or, he will be 'in power' till kingdom come.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:25   #675
God Member

Quote:
This idea has been floating around for a while I recall. However, I wonder if you could explain to us what the difference between a Town Council and the current Area Council is please?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..