Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37   #706
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Further to my suggestion that 'our Peter' take over as MP for 'Hyndburn'. Devine inspiration informed me that he would make a good replacement for Pope of Accrington, gedditt.
He's already stood, and failed, twice, as MP for Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2007, 12:10   #707
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER is the way to go

Totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post

Thye wanted to know whther the all idea behind the name change was so that we could amalgamate with Blackburn and then the local authority would become 'Blackburn with Darwen and Accrington Borough Council'.
Peter denied this was the purpose but made some remark that we might be forced by government legislation (in the future) to combine into a larger authority.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17   #708
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He's already stood, and failed, twice, as MP for Hyndburn.
It's all part of his plan for 'third time' lucky, he's no fool Gary, this is the best vote winner of all time, and HE knows it, Gt Harwood is 'I think' is the next most populated town in the district, if they put a monkey up there as MP it would win, as you know local results have no bearing on national issues, they don't call it 'snuffy' for nowt. It's because they own their own house and the one next door, 'snuffy' as in 'posh' nowt to do with snuff. My ex wife came from Harrod a born and bred tailor made snob, we had to move back to Harwood from Accrington after 12 months of marriage because she thought accy folk inferior to her sensibilities, and they still used outside bogs.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39   #709
Give, give, give member

Quote:
he's no fool
That's a debatable point.

Old 09-11-2007, 13:23   #710
Resting in peace

Quote:
That's a debatable point.
Gary, first and most important message taught to me by my Jewish Uncle and mentor. "Never underestimate the abilities of anyone do it at your peril". This advice was invaluable throughout my business career, some of the most illiterate people are great business people,I could name some local ones but It would be wrong. The two I have in mind were millionaires before the age of 25.
Old 09-11-2007, 13:36   #711

If have just looked on the Accrington Observer website, they now have an internet poll about Town Councils. If anyone wants to vote.

It is also possible to leave comments about the proposal to give Great Harwood a Town council.

Last edited by claytonender; 09-11-2007 at 13:39.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 14:20   #712
God Member

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/community/
bottom right corner of screen
I hadnt been aware of those community pages before - that's what happens when you dont view windows in full screen
PS - 81% against when I voted

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 18:23   #713
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Gary, first and most important message taught to me by my Jewish Uncle and mentor. "Never underestimate the abilities of anyone do it at your peril". This advice was invaluable throughout my business career, some of the most illiterate people are great business people,I could name some local ones but It would be wrong. The two I have in mind were millionaires before the age of 25.
I never underestimate anyone.

I've praised some of Peter Britcliffe's ideas in the past. Others, which I think are stupid and costly, I'll happily criticise.

I've said before that as a teacher the children loved him.

Although he was at Moor End Primary when I was there, he didn't teach me. Pity really. It would have been a nice consolation for him, knowing he'd help educate his fiercest critic.

Old 09-11-2007, 19:16   #714
Resting in peace

Quote:
garinda,Although he was at Moor End Primary when I was there, he didn't teach me. Pity really. It would have been a nice consolation for him, knowing he'd help educate his fiercest critic.
White flag up Gary "even
"The children loved him" you've got me snookered behind the Black.
Old 09-11-2007, 20:03   #715
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I take it that the structure of these councils would remain as is? With a Chairman and up to nine co-optees, all unelected by the general public?
You have got that a little confused Gary.

Using Oswaldtwistle as an example.

The current Oswaldtwistle Area Council is made up of the elected Councillors from the wards of Oswaldtwistle. Those Councillors vote on a Chair and Vice Chair. It is these Councillors that vote on issues. Yes there are un-elected co-optees. They can not vote on anything so have absolutely no power or influence on anything at all. I think there are currently 4 or 5 co-optees, one of which is Oswaldtwistles County Councillor. She will not be able to vote on anything either as she is not a local Ward Councillor. The other co-optees all have strong ties with the local community. For example one is from Rhyddings School and another from the Friends of Rhyddings Park

The the Chair of the Friends of Rhyddings Park was co-opted was because we report back to the Area Council at the meeting about what is happening with the park. We work closely with the Council on park issues like the current ongoing Parks for People lottery bid to restore the park. We were set up not just as a friends group but as a management group, we currently manage the Pets Corner almost independently from the Council. I say almost because quite rightly, we have to follow certain guidelines from the Council regarding animal welfare etc. Oopps I wondered a bit sorry.
Old 09-11-2007, 20:05   #716
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It would have been a nice consolation for him, knowing he'd help educate his fiercest critic.
I have been to several meetings he has Chaired, by comparison to other critics I have witnessed, you are a pussy cat mate
Old 09-11-2007, 20:06   #717
God Member

Are you sure about the Chair, Neil, because I thought the Chair rotated depending on which ward in Ossy the meeting was held? The meeting has been held at the Civic Theatre for the last few times so Peter has Chaired it as it's in St. Andrews.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 20:26   #718
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Are you sure about the Chair, Neil, because I thought the Chair rotated depending on which ward in Ossy the meeting was held? The meeting has been held at the Civic Theatre for the last few times so Peter has Chaired it as it's in St. Andrews.

The 'proper' chair and vice are voted in by the ward councillors every 12 months. They did a few Area Council meetings at other venues where the Chair, Peter, passed the majority of the meeting over to one of the local ward councillors where the meeting was held to chair that particular meeting. Peter was still the 'proper' chair of the Area Council.
Old 09-11-2007, 20:29   #719
God Member

Fair enough, I'm happy to stand corrected on this one.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 20:32   #720
Give, give, give member

Thank you Neil, but this issue does need more clarification.

Will the people on these town/parish councils be elected in a democratic way, or simply invited on to them.

If they are setting budgets etc., we need to know.

If it is the latter, it could be open to abuse, with individual councils being run by Quangos.

Not really streamling the political system is it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..