Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 13:12   #676

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Please make sure that as many people as possible attend tonight's meeting, and make your opinion on the issue of the proposed name change known.

Please think carefully about 'Town councils', because you might find that you have an additional precept on your Council Tax bill next year (for the Town Council in your area) and as a result of agreeing to a Town Council agree to the name of the borough being called 'Accrington and the Districts'.
Anyone who lives in the parish of Altham is already paying an additional precept on their Council Tax for the running of Altham Parish Council.

It really will be adding insult to injury if not only do we loose the name of the borough (and be taken over entirely by Accrington), but it costs us £50 a year more for the privilege of having a Town Council.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2007, 14:08   #677
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
O-o-o-h! That hurts, Gary! That hurts!
you deserved that wynonie, great result for ACCRINGTON STANLEY'S'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 17:07   #678
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post

It really will be adding insult to injury if not only do we loose the name of the borough (and be taken over entirely by Accrington), but it costs us £50 a year more for the privilege of having a Town Council.
This is another one of those "don't tell 'em and they'll be no wiser" type things that I can't help feeling very suspicious about.

The article in the Observer paints a very rosy picture of something which sounds like going back to the days before we were all united in one borough and it just isn't going to happen like that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 17:54   #679
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
This is another one of those "don't tell 'em and they'll be no wiser" type things that I can't help feeling very suspicious about.

The article in the Observer paints a very rosy picture of something which sounds like going back to the days before we were all united in one borough and it just isn't going to happen like that.
The proposed renaming of the borough, and the introduction of these town councils, are, and should remain, two separate issues.

Although because residents in Altham already pay extra on their Council Tax for the privilege of quasi-independence, the extra cost might make the two proposals similar.

I'm not opposed to the idea in principle, of more independence for the respective towns which make up Hyndburn, but I just hope this isn't a case of a two tier political system becoming a tertiary one, with the new town councils fighting the still all powerful borough council, and both, or either, in combat with Lancashire County Council, and nothing very much getting done being the outcome.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 18:07   #680
Give, give, give member

Because our very own Neil was appointed as one of the nine co-optees on Oswaldtwistle's Area Council, under the proposed new changes would he get a new title?

Pet Czar?

Old 08-11-2007, 18:14   #681
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
one of the nine co-optees on Oswaldtwistle's Area Council
I don't think there are nine.
Old 08-11-2007, 18:30   #682
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't think there are nine.

I should have said one of up to nine.

Appologies.

Old 08-11-2007, 19:18   #683
Resting in peace

Quote:
Garinda]Although because residents in Altham already pay extra on their Council Tax for the privilege of quasi-independence,
Gary I had to look that up in the Karma Sutra, position no1 Masxxxxtion
Old 08-11-2007, 19:49   #684

Just got back from the joint Area Council meeting - three was considerable opposition to the proposal, which didn't seem to meet with Peter's approval. He asked the chairman of each Area Council, how their area had voted - and then proceeded to lecture us on the benfits and that the vote for at the Oswaldtwistle meeting was 100% for the proposal.

There was only one person from the floor who spoke in favour of the name change - he was from Hyndburn Chamber of Trade, who have no problem in reverting to their original name of Accrington and District. Several people gave examples of other boroughs, which had 'geographic' names - such as Copeland, West Lancashire, Fylde, Wyre, South Ribble, Pendle, Ribble Valley etc.

I said that the names of the towns could be equally promoted within the name Hyndburn and there was no need to change to Accrington and District. I also made they point that the 'District' would probably be dropped - so we would end up witht he Borough of Accrington. Peter picked on my remarks, saying I had said that the town names (eg Clayton, Church, Great Harwood) would be dropped, but (much to his annoyance) I corrected him.

Apparently he will put it to Full Council on 4th December.

He says he is not bothered whether the name is changed or not - I was waiting for a bolt of lightening to strike him dead. But unfortunatly there was no divine intervention.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 21:00   #685
God Member

Good work

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 21:31   #686
Resident Waffler

Nice one Clayton Ender.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 22:22   #687
Super Moderator

Saboteur!!
Old 08-11-2007, 22:27   #688
Resting in Peace

Well done Claytonender, really sorry couldn't be there to support.. had prepared all points to make my opinion heard ... unforseen circumstances, etc. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 22:30   #689
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I was waiting for a bolt of lightening to strike him dead. But unfortunatly there was no divine intervention.
Blimey,that's a bit strong! You don't mince your words do you?
Old 08-11-2007, 22:51   #690
Resting in peace

Quote:
claytonenderHe says he is not bothered whether the name is changed or not - I was waiting for a bolt of lightening to strike him dead. But unfortunatly there was no divine intervention
A silver bullet wouldn't work on him never mind a bent bolt of lightening, the best thing would be to pack him of to Parliament. He would have to sit as MP for HYNDBURN. Hobsons Choice.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 08-11-2007 at 22:53.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..