Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 19:39   #631
Resting in peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No, the name change after that is rumoured to Be St. Petersburg.
Now now Gary let's not get carried away, after all you don't want to be putting ideas into his head. Delusions of granduer he lack's not
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2007, 20:52   #632
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Let all the district become as they were with their own district councils as they were before, this system worked for years, it may be what Peter has in mind for the future?

I don't think there's much chance of that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:27   #633
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't think there's much chance of that.
mark my words Willow, the man is a meglomaniac
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:45   #634
God Member

I haven't voted yet.
I dont like the name Hyndburn.
I dont like the idea of Accrington & Districts either - but it is an improvement on the name Hyndburn.
But - I dont like the idea of wasting dosh on change.

So I still haven't voted

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 22:28   #635
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I dont like the name Hyndburn.
I dont like the idea of Accrington & Districts either -
Just words Margaret, however, if pronounced in the correct standard English fashion Hyndburn is extremely pleasant to the ear :

Hynd. gentle aspiration, then a diphthong vowel (which Lancashire people neglect) H-i-e-, followed by nasal n.. gentle . d tip of tongue on forefront of palate, and finally neutral vowel ... bun ... lovely.

Acc .. sure to get the glottal stop here on A should be pronounced as an 'e'.. hard cc on back of throat, roll of tongue on the 'r' ..ing .. nasal vowel, do not pronounce the 'g', neutral vowel on the ton .. tun. Much harder to pronounce and hard consenants.

No contest for sound to me ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:51   #636
Resident Waffler

For anyone who isn't familiar with the river Hyndburn and doesn't have any preconceived ideas it is a lovely word, evoking images of a carefree bambi and relatives frolicking by a babbling little stream as it chatters down over rocks and pebbles through a lush meadow.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32   #637
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Acc .. sure to get the glottal stop here on A should be pronounced as an 'e'.. hard cc on back of throat, roll of tongue on the 'r' ..ing .. nasal vowel, do not pronounce the 'g', neutral vowel on the ton .. tun. Much harder to pronounce and hard consenants.
Kate, how could you? You're having a go at one of the most beautiful sounds in the English language! Shocked and stunned!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21   #638
God Member

I have heard that Accrington originated as 'Acorn town'
mmmm quite nice - but we would get nicknamed 'nut cases'

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-11-2007 at 08:23.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33   #639
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Kate, how could you? You're having a go at one of the most beautiful sounds in the English language! Shocked and stunned!
Fighting dirty now . playing all the trump cards can think of ..
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12   #640
Senior Member+

Latest

The Extra Ordinary renaming Council Meeting for the 20th November has been cancelled.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36   #641
Resting in Peace

Re: Latest

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The Extra Ordinary renaming Council Meeting for the 20th November has been cancelled.
Hope this is due to the fact that more informtion is required on the costings.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55   #642
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hope this is due to the fact that more informtion is required on the costings.
I suspect it is because the Leader is not sure which way Labour Councillors intend to vote. A lot of phishing has been going on. I think the public would want a debate in public in the open and not in dark corridors.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09   #643
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I suspect it is because the Leader is not sure which way Labour Councillors intend to vote. A lot of phishing has been going on. I think the public would want a debate in public in the open and not in dark corridors.
Ok, he is obviously getting a little unsure of his ground now, maybe realises not doing a proper report, etc., which is what we all want really, and would hope to get down myself to a public meeting .. to hear both sides of the argument.

Keep us informed.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27   #644

Is the meeting on the 8th November with the Area Council chairpersons with the public invited still going ahead.
Also I have just had a look at Accrington Observer online and there is a poll about the name change, it is currently showing 60% to keep the name Hyndburn 40% for the name Accrington and District.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43   #645
God Member

Whilst I do think it's a good idea that there is a poll on this subject, I do wonder if it can be a truly accurate result.

I mean, people who don't live in the area could vote on an internet poll. Also, it doesn't really represent the whole community. Although, like I said, it's better than nothing.

PS - I've done my bit and voted now, so that I can't be a daft bat and forget like I did on the one on here.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..