Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2007, 10:36   #496
Resting in peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Thanks for that very interesting information Graham.

I don't know why, but I have a picture in my head of that other megalomaniac Nero, who played his fiddle whilst Rome burned.

Full costings of this proposed name change should be made public, and then a proper decision can be made.
If you look at old pictures drawings gary the likenness to Nero is striking
This cretin need s stopping now how can one person have so much power is it the indepenents that are the monkey in the woodpile?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2007, 11:39   #497
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What possible advantage can it be?
Far better for the image of the borough to have a well-known name than the monicker of an anonymous river which is renowned for its stink locally and totally unknown outside the confines of East Lancashire.
Old 19-10-2007, 11:53   #498
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Far better for the image of the borough to have a well-known name than the monicker of an anonymous river which is renowned for its stink locally and totally unknown outside the confines of East Lancashire.

...and when in the course of your daily conversations do you use the political name of the borough?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 11:57   #499
Super Moderator

I don't but I'm not looking to attract inward investment or grants to the area or to promote the borough generally. Names/first impressions/image counts for a lot in today's media-conscious world.
Old 19-10-2007, 12:08   #500
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't but I'm not looking to attract inward investment or grants to the area or to promote the borough generally. Names/first impressions/image counts for a lot in today's media-conscious world.
Trust me, I know all about marketing, certainly more than this shower.

In my opinion changing the name of the borough will not make one iota of difference in attracting investment to the area. Indeed changing the name again, after thirty three years, may very well have the opposite affect.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 12:12   #501
God Member

I'm sorry that's not a good enough point Wynonie - the public agencies and investors all know exactly where Hyndburn is. It is not the name that is stopping people from investing here.

I stand by my earlier point that if you wanted to promote the area as a place to invest a business there is no reason to mention Hyndburn. You could easily produce a brochure called 'Accrington and surrounding districts' - there is no legal reason why the council would have to promote the area as Hyndburn. It is a purely administrative name and an extremely fair one at that for all the surrounding towns.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 12:39   #502
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
the public agencies and investors all know exactly where Hyndburn is.
Do they?...not in my experience, they don't. Recognised brand names are worth their weight in gold these days - that's why they're all protected by trademark patents. To casually discard a well-known name like Accrington for the anonymity of Hyndburn was a thoroughly bad decision all those years ago. Time to redress the balance!
Old 19-10-2007, 13:07   #503
God Member

Quote:
Do they?...not in my experience, they don't. Recognised brand names are worth their weight in gold these days - that's why they're all protected by trademark patents. To casually discard a well-known name like Accrington for the anonymity of Hyndburn was a thoroughly bad decision all those years ago. Time to redress the balance!
Accrington has never gone away. It was and always will be called Accrington, it wasn't renamed at all. This will not redress the balance this will further diminish the value of other towns in the borough.

When Hyndburn was formed, all of the eight towns had individual town councils but they banded together to form one large district. Accrington has never been discarded.

Old 19-10-2007, 13:47   #504
Super Moderator

The name of the pre-1973 borough was Accrington

The name of the post-1973 borough (admittedly expanded to take in a number of smaller surrounding towns) is Hyndburn.

In my view, that's replacing it.

The name of the borough in a few months time will hopefully be Accrington & Districts. Personally, I'd prefer just a simple Accrington, but I'd much rather have Accrington & Districts than Hyndburn!
Old 19-10-2007, 14:23   #505
God Member

Quote:
The name of the pre-1973 borough was Accrington
The name of the town was Accrington. The only other area that it encompassed was Huncoat as far as I can see on the records I've found. Other towns remained individual i.e. Oswaldtwistle, Gt Harwood, Rishton, Clayton and Baxenden - these were not part of Accrington pre-1973. I can't quite see from the maps about Church, whether it was or wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris

The name of the post-1973 borough (admittedly expanded to take in a number of smaller surrounding towns) is Hyndburn.

In my view, that's replacing it.
This was not a replacement - this was the towns coming together to form one larger district. By coming together this gave them more political power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
The name of the borough in a few months time will hopefully be Accrington & Districts. Personally, I'd prefer just a simple Accrington, but I'd much rather have Accrington & Districts than Hyndburn!
That's outrageous - you can not change the names of all the towns within Hyndburn to Accrington! Oswaldtwistle, Great Harwood, Rishton, Clayton and Baxenden might well come under the administrative title of Hyndburn but they have never been part of Accrington!!!!!

Old 19-10-2007, 14:36   #506
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
That's outrageous - you can not change the names of all the towns within Hyndburn to Accrington! Oswaldtwistle, Great Harwood, Rishton, Clayton and Baxenden might well come under the administrative title of Hyndburn but they have never been part of Accrington!!!!!
No one is suggesting that Gayle. Look over in Blackburn with Darwen. Many other towns and villages are part of Blackburn with Darwen but they come under that collective name.

I am not saying I am for or against the name change by the way.
Old 19-10-2007, 14:39   #507
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
No one is suggesting that Gayle. Look over in Blackburn with Darwen. Many other towns and villages are part of Blackburn with Darwen but they come under that collective name.

I am not saying I am for or against the name change by the way.

Yes, of Blackburn and Darwen. These where the two town councils that came together to form the one borough which is why the borough has both names in its title. With Hyndburn it was a bigger problem because there were eight towns that came together to make Hyndburn so it couldn't be called Accrington with Oswaldtwistle, Gt Harwood, Rishton etc - that's why they came up with the all encompassing name of Hyndburn.

They had the same issue as Hyndburn with Rawtenstall, Bacup, Haslingden, etc which is why they settled on Rossendale. There was a similar issue with Clitheroe, Whalley, Ribchester etc which is why they gave it the name Ribble Valley.

Old 19-10-2007, 14:39   #508
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nothing outrageous about it at all - Huncoat was once an indepedent town but was incorporated into the borough of Accrington in 1928. Other towns incorporate surrounding towns under their name. The Metropolitan Borough of Stockport includes numerous towns such as Bramhall, Hazel Grove, Poynton and many others - I'm not aware of the residents of these towns feeling outraged.
Old 19-10-2007, 14:40   #509
Super Moderator

And, incidentally, Gayle, as far as I'm aware, Baxenden has always been part of Accrington!
Old 19-10-2007, 14:41   #510
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The Metropolitan Borough of Accrington does have a nice ring to it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..