Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2007, 12:27   #406
God Member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Was more than a little vague that, wasn't it Lilly? Perhaps felt obliged to mention it to us voters, but not too keen on actually getting our opinion ..

Heard one or two adverts from 'Taskers of ACCRINGTON' last night on the telly, noticed they didn't say HYNDBURN .. as business people never would !

See he was still milking the point about the Mayor meeting the Duke .. Clutching at straws yet again.
Yes,very vague,Katex.If you didn't read Peter's column then you would not have known anything about this.Even for those of us who did read it,he didn't actually state what is happening in the Market Hall regarding this issue.It should have been explained better and publicised a lot more.I suppose we could email him and ask but we shouldn't have to do that,should we?
If anyone does find out what's in the Market Hall can you let us all know?I wonder how much time we've got left.Probably not much
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2007, 13:42   #407
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I suppose we could email him and ask but we shouldn't have to do that,should we?
Done it .. let's see what answer I get.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:13   #408
God Member

Quote:
Done it .. let's see what answer I get.
Will you let us know,Katex?
Old 18-08-2007, 16:23   #409
God Member

Quote:
Been in the market hall, there is a stall with leaflets on asking for your opinions. You just fill them in and post in a box, it is where the sewing box was. Hope that is helpful.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:19   #410
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Been in the market hall, there is a stall with leaflets on asking for your opinions. You just fill them in and post in a box, it is where the sewing box was. Hope that is helpful.
Oh right,thanks Bernadette.This should have been better publicised in the Observer.I wonder how many people know about this and have filled in one of the forms.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:24   #411
God Member

Quote:
Oh right,thanks Bernadette.This should have been better publicised in the Observer.I wonder how many people know about this and have filled in one of the forms.
I didn't know about it till I read the thread earlier, so thought I'd look while I was in town. Didn't seem to be anybody in charge of it. We will see if anybody uses it!!!
Old 19-08-2007, 00:08   #412
Resting in Peace

Thanks Bernie .. was thinking of looking meself, but don't sell the make-up I use in Accy, so had to go to Burnley.

Probably won't get a reply from PB 'til the leaflets have been removed. Appears to be a rather weak effort though, doesn't it, to get our opinion ?
So did you ?

An afterthought... got the form to fill in for the Electoral Register today .. perhaps they could have included some sort of survey, voting sheet in this ... after all it is connected. Greg Pope suggested could do this at the Polling Booths, so not quite out of order I would not think.

Last edited by katex; 19-08-2007 at 00:13.
Old 19-08-2007, 00:45   #413
God Member

Quote:
Thanks Bernie .. was thinking of looking meself, but don't sell the make-up I use in Accy, so had to go to Burnley.

Probably won't get a reply from PB 'til the leaflets have been removed. Appears to be a rather weak effort though, doesn't it, to get our opinion ?
So did you ?

An afterthought... got the form to fill in for the Electoral Register today .. perhaps they could have included some sort of survey, voting sheet in this ... after all it is connected. Greg Pope suggested could do this at the Polling Booths, so not quite out of order I would not think.
Just had a quick glance, I didn't go down till late. Really don't think it matters one way or another, think the decision is out of our hands. Just my point of view could be completely wrong. We haven't got our forms yet, it would probably have generated more replies that way as it is dealing with issues such as coats of arms for each place i.e Accy, Church and each outlying village. As I say we will just have to wait and see.
Old 19-08-2007, 08:57   #414
God Member

The election is a legal process so can't be tampered with i.e. you can't send out any additional info/questionnaire etc with electoral roll stuff.

I spoke to Greg about this and his idea was that the questionnaire about the name would be done at the same time as the election but would have to be done outside the polling station as people left - not as part of the election process itself.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 09:11   #415
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The election is a legal process so can't be tampered with i.e. you can't send out any additional info/questionnaire etc with electoral roll stuff.

I spoke to Greg about this and his idea was that the questionnaire about the name would be done at the same time as the election but would have to be done outside the polling station as people left - not as part of the election process itself.

But they could have sent a questionaire out with all the council tax bills, which would be the most cost effective way of finding out if the majority of people support this change, at least more so than an unpublicised stall on the market, which is open to all sorts of abuse.

Infact I might spend the whole of next week stood there filling in multiple forms.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:53   #416
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Infact I might spend the whole of next week stood there filling in multiple forms.
You might find yourself on shaky ground doing that

ok I'll get my coat
Old 19-08-2007, 19:06   #417
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
ok I'll get my coat
There's not many of you that can pull off an anorak.

Old 26-08-2007, 09:36   #418
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Never got a reply from my e-mail Lilly .. Maybe I shouldn't have indicated that I had strong views on this, and not in his favour .. will never make a politician, will I ?

Decided to shop in Accy yesterday afternoon, walked around the Market Hall twice and could not see the stand, unless I maybe just happened to blink a couple of times.. Went armed with a new pen too so that it wouldn't run out with my comments..

Pleased to see that the Observer are stilling printing some 'against' letters though, after their original front page comment of 'for'.
Old 26-08-2007, 09:45   #419
God Member

Quote:
Never got a reply from my e-mail Lilly .. Maybe I shouldn't have indicated that I had strong views on this, and not in his favour .. will never make a politician, will I ?

Decided to shop in Accy yesterday afternoon, walked around the Market Hall twice and could not see the stand, unless I maybe just happened to blink a couple of times.. Went armed with a new pen too so that it wouldn't run out with my comments..

Pleased to see that the Observer are stilling printing some 'against' letters though, after their original front page comment of 'for'.
I wasn't down yesterday, but it was definetly there during the week
Old 26-08-2007, 09:46   #420
Give, give, give member

Quote:

The fact that you never had a reply, is the height of bad manners, and makes a mockery of Britcliffes's friend John Farrer's remarks in the press about Greg Pope not being accessible, even more galling.

All correspondence should always be answered. Not to do so shows the sort of ignorance we've come to expect from these people.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..