Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2007, 09:21   #391
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

I doubt very much whether his royal Dukeness would even have half a clue where Accrington is!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2007, 09:29   #392
God Member

I read that this morning and thought it was the biggest load of tosh ever (well actually I thought many more colourful words but didn't say them because I have two young children).

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 10:19   #393
Give, give, give member

Desperation and clutching at straws springs to mind.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 11:28   #394
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Desperation and clutching at straws springs to mind.

And there is an understatement. Its always going to be the same though some might know Accy because of the footy but not much else.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 12:40   #395
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
And there is an understatement. Its always going to be the same though some might know Accy because of the footy but not much else.
disagree spug in my experience nearly as many people know accy through the "brick"
Old 27-07-2007, 13:03   #396
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
disagree spug in my experience nearly as many people know accy through the "brick"
I would beg to differ with you too cashy ... most of my colleagues (under 45) have never heard of it !! Amazing but true.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 14:11   #397
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I would beg to differ with you too cashy ... most of my colleagues (under 45) have never heard of it !! Amazing but true.
your colleagues " the kids" never came in my bar.
Old 27-07-2007, 16:06   #398
God Member

Quote:
The ones through the window or the ones at the base piles of the Empire State Building??

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 08:12   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
. Its always going to be the same though some might know Accy because of the footy but not much else.
The argument thrown by the council with regards the football makes me laugh. Does that mean that Haringey should be renamed Tottenham and boroughs? Or should Croydon be renamed Crystal Palace?

It doesn't carry any weight it's about geography, unless you live near there who knows where Three Valleys council is? and honestly, who cares? certainly not the folk who live there. If they publicised Hyndburn properly and spent as much on positives about it as they do trying to spin that Accrington is so much better then maybe things would be happening and the waste of our money so that the Dobson, Britcliffe et al can feel so much more smug wouldn't be required

No I don't say I come from Hyndburn, (never did when I lived in London) neither will I say I come from Accrington and district, I come from Great Harwood, and I don't want to live in Accrington and District, a name that in a few months will be shortened to Accrington, and then all the individual town names will be undermined. It will not make Church, Ossie, Harwood, or Clayton more recognised.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 22:24   #400
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thread bump ..

Ironic that Accrington brick will shortly be owned by the German company Heidleberg 'innit ?
Old 06-08-2007, 22:28   #401
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thread bump ..

Ironic that Accrington brick will shortly be owned by the German company Heidleberg 'innit ?
Dedication to the cause, that's what I admire about you!

You'll be throwing yourself under the King's horse at the Derby, if we don't keep a close eye on you.

Old 06-08-2007, 22:35   #402
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Dedication to the cause, that's what I admire about you!

You'll be throwing yourself under the King's horse at the Derby, if we don't keep a close eye on you.
Ya' daft bat .. will have to wait a while 'til we have a king...still it sorta' worked, didn't it .. does PB own a horse? .

Trying all the trump cards I can think of on this issue, thought this point was hilarious.
Old 17-08-2007, 20:58   #403
God Member

Did anyone else read Peter Britcliffe's column in today's Observer.He said,regarding the name change of the borough,

'It is the opinions of those who live here that matter.There is still time to give us your view by calling in at the Market Hall.Please take the opportunity when you are in town.'

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on in the Market Hall? Have they put a comments box for this in there or something?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 21:04   #404
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Did anyone else read Peter Britcliffe's column in today's Observer.He said,regarding the name change of the borough,

'It is the opinions of those who live here that matter.There is still time to give us your view by calling in at the Market Hall.Please take the opportunity when you are in town.'

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on in the Market Hall? Have they put a comments box for this in there or something?
God knows. Whatever it is, it hasn't been very well publicised. I was in there on Tuedsay and saw nothing about it.

Perhaps if you buy smokey bacon you are against the change of name, and if you don't you're in favour of it.

Clarification would be nice.

Old 18-08-2007, 12:14   #405
Resting in Peace

Was more than a little vague that, wasn't it Lilly? Perhaps felt obliged to mention it to us voters, but not too keen on actually getting our opinion ..

Heard one or two adverts from 'Taskers of ACCRINGTON' last night on the telly, noticed they didn't say HYNDBURN .. as business people never would !

See he was still milking the point about the Mayor meeting the Duke .. Clutching at straws yet again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..