Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 21:46   #451
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
The whole thing is flawed because people just haven't been given enough information.
That is how Politics works, you only get the information that will make you vote the way the person giving the information wants you too. That is if you are any good at politics anyway. I would make reference to the Gobbin Lamp but can't be bothered to explain just now.
Old 11-10-2007, 22:42   #452
Resident Waffler

Now you can't just dangle a Gobbin lamp in front of me and wander off!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 23:15   #453
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is how Politics works, you only get the information that will make you vote the way the person giving the information wants you too. That is if you are any good at politics anyway. I would make reference to the Gobbin Lamp but can't be bothered to explain just now.
Yes, strange that this daft idea was announced just weeks after the last elections.

Perhaps they thought they couldn't defend spending any money on it, if they'd had to defend the proposal on our doorsteps.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38   #454

One thing about this that bothers me is how do 2 of our surrounding councils cope with no noticeable town name in them?

These being The Ribble Valley and Rossendale. Blackburn with Darwen is self explanatory, but Burnley and Pendle? Do any southerners know what Pendle is?

Of course it will get voted through as most of the borough live in Accrington. How long though afterwards before the name is just Accrington?
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 18:43   #455
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Now you can't just dangle a Gobbin lamp in front of me and wander off!
I will type up the story for you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes, strange that this daft idea was announced just weeks after the last elections.

Perhaps they thought they couldn't defend spending any money on it, if they'd had to defend the proposal on our doorsteps.
As far as I can remember no Hyndburn money was spent on it. I would have to check through the old Area Council Minutes that I have somewhere to be sure.
Old 13-10-2007, 08:43   #456
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
As far as I can remember no Hyndburn money was spent on it. I would have to check through the old Area Council Minutes that I have somewhere to be sure.

I was referring to the proposed name change, which was announced just weeks after the election, and which will cost us money.

Old 13-10-2007, 15:00   #457
God Member

I'm not against the name change myself but I can see that some of you are. Apart from the questionnaire thing in the Market Hall you could have aired your views/concerns at various Area Council Meetings. Did anybody go to any of these?
Old 13-10-2007, 15:31   #458
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'm not against the name change myself but I can see that some of you are. Apart from the questionnaire thing in the Market Hall you could have aired your views/concerns at various Area Council Meetings. Did anybody go to any of these?
I go to the Oswaldtwistle Area Council Meeting whenever I am not working. I have missed the last 2 I think.
Old 13-10-2007, 15:39   #459
God Member

I am quite suprised at the reaction this proposal is getting. When I worked in Rishton the general impression I got was that people preffered having the areas to be known as they were prior to Hyndburn being introduced.
Old 13-10-2007, 15:54   #460
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I am quite suprised at the reaction this proposal is getting. When I worked in Rishton the general impression I got was that people preffered having the areas to be known as they were prior to Hyndburn being introduced.
Rishton will still be Rishton, whether it is in the political borough known as Hyndburn, or Accrington and Districts.

The only difference is that keeping the name as it is, won't cost us a penny.

Old 13-10-2007, 15:58   #461
God Member

I know that Rishton will still have the same name, I guess what I was really trying to find out is will control still be held by Hyndburn or will it be each district will be able to manage their own finances?
Old 13-10-2007, 16:08   #462
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I know that Rishton will still have the same name, I guess what I was really trying to find out is will control still be held by Hyndburn or will it be each district will be able to manage their own finances?
Nothing will change, that's the whole point. We aren't going back to pre-1974 days, with each town having it's own independent urban council. All power will remain with the muppets at the Town Hall/Scaitcliffe House.

The only thing that they want to change, at some significant cost, is the political name of the borough, from Hyndburn to the parochial sounding Accrington and Districts.

When will they get it into their heads that none of us use the bloody name Hyndburn????

We say we are from Accy/Ossy/Rishton/Harwood etc.

The only people this change will benefit is the leader of the council and the mayor. Who apparently get all teary and hurt, at fancy royal bun fights, when asked to explain where Hyndburn is. They are the only two people who have to use the bloody name outside of the district.

Old 13-10-2007, 16:10   #463
God Member

Okay I think I get your point now
Old 13-10-2007, 18:40   #464
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post

Understand where you are coming from Lilly. They are holding public meetings in various towns throughout the coming Autumn (had one in Clayton already).. think I put a post up somewhere.

Unfortunately, I am obliged to work during the day to earn a salary to keep me in the style I am accustomed to , so disables me from attending these meetings, otherwise I would love to.

We (who are opposed to this change) are doing our best to express our views on here, speak directly to councillors, e-mail and letters to the Observer as well as the survery in the market hall.

When this issue hots up, am determined that views will be aired.

Think maybe the time is coming when we ought to consolidate all our views from here into one paper. Against of course !! ..... or 'for' ? only one point put forward on this issue, and that is we have a renowned Football Team (who everyone takes the mickey when they hear the name). Ok, there is the awful tragedy of the Pals, however, it is quite famous in its own right. Still can't see what the name change will do for our borough either financially or promotion wise.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 19:08   #465
Resident Waffler

If people in Rishton think that changing the name will give Rishton more significance I suggest they give it a re-think. At present Rishton is an equal part (just as equal as Accrington) within the borough of Hyndburn but once the name change takes place you can bet your bottom boot that it won't be long before the "and district" is missed off for sake of convenience and brevity and then Rishton and all the other "and districts" will be smothered up in the name Accrington. Do they really want that? When the borough was given the name of Hyndburn it was clear that no part was greater than the whole. Changing the name to Accrington and District is clearly saying that Accrington is far more important than any of the other towns.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..