Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2007, 22:28   #481
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

There's nothing in the Observer, by the way.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-10-2007, 22:28   #482
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The way it reads the decision has already been made.
Yes, did read that way Bernie ... however ??

Lilly .. nothing in t'Observer.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 22:30   #483
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's nothing in the Observer, by the way.
I'm surprised at that. I thought there would be if a decision has been made.
Old 18-10-2007, 23:00   #484
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW BLOODY DARE THEY !!!!!!

This is definitely war, what a blooming waste of our hard-earned money, a step back in time which will do no good to promote our area whatsoever.

I am furious that this decision seems to have been made on a whim of a jumped up councillors back.

They say sleep on a problem, yes, I will ... don't think I will feel any different tomorrow though.

( x 1,000)
It isn't a step back in time. That's what a lot of people think, that we are going back to the old individual boroughs but we're not. We will still be Hyndburn Borough but with a silly stupid name instead and it's a total waste of time and money and you're not the only one who is very angry about it Katex. They think they can just walk all over us. I reckon PB wants to change the name because he didn't like my 'Hyndborg' poster.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 23:13   #485
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I reckon PB wants to change the name because he didn't like my 'Hyndborg' poster.
Soooo .. all your fault then .. you've a lot to answer to Willow ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 23:16   #486
Resident Waffler

I hang my head in shame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndborg BC.jpg (17.7 KB, 8 views)

Old 19-10-2007, 07:44   #487
Super Moderator

A sensible decision by the Chamber of Trade....I hope the borough renaming follows quickly.
Old 19-10-2007, 08:36   #488
Resident Waffler

Are you feeling OK Wynonie?

Old 19-10-2007, 08:48   #489
Super Moderator

Never felt better, thank you...and I STILL think it's a good idea to rename the borough!
Old 19-10-2007, 09:00   #490
Resident Waffler

What possible advantage can it be?

Old 19-10-2007, 09:05   #491
Senior Member+

An update on renaming the Borough

Peter Britcliffe did believe he could force through a majority vote on this issue. However due to special voting circumstances on this issue he needs not 51% but 67% of Councillors to vote for it. The Conservatives plus Nick Collingrdige (who always votes Tory on big issues) make around 55% of Councillors. So things have got messy.

The Labour Group of Councillors are not discussing the issue thoroughly until full costings have been produced. Earlier this month all council section heads were asked to undertake a review of costs as Labour Councillors dug their heels in against PB. This should have been done at the beginning rather than the post election newspaper fanfare which came out of the blue surprising everyone in the Council, never mind the public. Since then, no reports or findings have been produced and the Tories have an air of 'our policies should be automatically voted through as we run the Council'. There is resentment to this naturally.

In order to win the vote and look good PB has made an offer.

That there is a free vote whereby all Councillors in the areas against the name change look good and vote against. 4 Tories 1 Labour in Harwood, 2 Tories 1 Labour in Rishton and 1 Tory in Clayton. That all the Ossy and Accrington Councillors vote for which will produce a narrow yes vote to change the name. I have to say the public are being stitched up.

The Tories are now desperate to get a decision from Labour Councillors and behind the scenes pressure is being applied. PB has said he will not debate this issue in Full Council unless enough Labour votes are in the bag. He will only have a debate provided he knows he is going to win. If not, he will scrap the decision and blame Labour Councillors.

I believe the goings on are not only undemocatic, nee corrupt almost, they represent at least a total sham. Decisons should be made fairly, properly, and on the basis of knowledge and with some evidence.

Labour Councillors have asked for figues on costings for a referendum. PB has said it will be 35,000 now and he is refusing to have a referendum. Says his Area Council consultations are enough (where the voting results were corrupted). He also is refusing to cost a May referendum, running in conjunction with next years local elections, because he does not want it to become a political issue he says in areas against the name change where he has the majority of councillors (Harwood, Rishton and Clayton) and where he might lose seats because of it.

The question still remains from Labour Councillors "How much will a referendum cost in May when we have the Polling Stations up and running anyway?". We believe the cost of that will be under 10,000GBP.

Clr Pritchard Snr defection to the blue corner has aired the private misgivings of many Labour Councllors. PB is now frightned he has lost the vote so has stated that Labour Councilors must come forward and say which way they will vote prior to the council meeting. That is where we are up to now.

Hyndburn Labour Group of Councillors are a very serious and honest bunch of people and they will not take part in any sham. Decisions have to be based on the best facts available, not a whim. I can't see enough facts coming forward about the true costs which may run into 100,000GBP+.

If PB carries through his threat of votes up front, no referendum, all without evidence, then the name change is likely to be all but dead.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 09:12   #492
Resident Waffler

Good grief Graham. That sounds akin to a dictatorship!

Old 19-10-2007, 09:15   #493
Resting in Peace

Thanks for the info Graham
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 09:39   #494
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: An update on renaming the Borough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Peter Britcliffe did believe he could force through a majority vote on this issue.......
Quote:

I believe the goings on are not only undemocratic, nee corrupt almost....

Says his Area Council consultations are enough (where the voting results were corrupted).

Are you saying from your post that you are accusing Peter Britcliffe of being corrupt or possibly being involved with vote fixing?

Quote:
Clr Pritchard Snr defection to the blue corner has aired the private misgivings of many Labour Councillors.

I was under the impression that the misgivings of many Labour Councillors for down to the leadership of the local Labour Party. Is that incorrect Graham?
was
Old 19-10-2007, 09:44   #495
Give, give, give member

Thanks for that very interesting information Graham.

I don't know why, but I have a picture in my head of that other megalomaniac Nero, who played his fiddle whilst Rome burned.

Full costings of this proposed name change should be made public, and then a proper decision can be made.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..