Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Hyndburn should be called Accrington and District?
Yes 8 47.06%
No 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2007, 08:35   #526
Give, give, give member

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Incidentally, and more than a little ironically, Britcliffe uses his Mrs Dale's Diary type blog in this weekend's Observer, to berate Gordon Brown for not having a referendum over the European Treaty.

I quote...
'I don't care what Mr Brown says, he has absolutely no democratic mandate to sign this treaty without asking the British people's permision.'

I suggest Peter Britcliffe also asks the people of the borough, democratically, if we want to change the name of ther place, together with full and true costings, to help people decide.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2007, 08:56   #527
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Area Council meetings usually start at 7pm. I should know I have been to enough of them.
That shows how little I know about area council meetings .. are the public allowed to go them and do you get an opportunity to air any views you may have on a particular issue, or just sit there and listen whilst the councillors mutter between themselves ?

I was thinking about the public meetings that were mentioned in the Herald (can't remember seeing it in to Observer) .. but never gave any times, except was during the day:-

According to the Herald Area Council Meetings are to be held as follows:-

17th July - Huncoat ... whoops missed it.
25th July - Clayton and Altham
25th September - Great Harwood
2nd October - Church and Milnshaw
16th October - Rishton.

Whoops yes, did say Area Council Meetings, didn't it ? See .. confusing.

Anyway Lilly, have offered to handcuff meself to one of the gateway signs, but will have to be at the weekend
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 09:52   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I believe that this name change issue was discussed at various area council meetings accross the borough. £20,000 is the figure we have been given. Do you know something different?
Lily, if your going to quote me, please quote the full sentence at least.

The figure of 20K may well be the cost to the council, what I'm on about is everyone else - the businesses that have letterheads, signs, web pages etc.

These will have to be changed all at a cost to them only.

for what? so Accrington gets its way....
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 09:59   #529
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post

for what? so Accrington gets its way....

No, so Peter Britcliffe gets HIS way.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 10:21   #530
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Lilly, the very first post I remember reading of your's on this forum, was when you said you'd been at the count on election night, and you were scathing of the behaviour of the Labour councillors. Is there perhaps a little political bias on your side, regarding this issue?

As for myself, I have no political affiliations to any party.

I've lived in London under a Labour council, Lambeth, which was dire, and I've also been a resident under Tory held Wandsworth, which was excellent. Indeed, as good as Labour held Glasgow, another place I've lived.

This isn't about party politics. This is about someone so naive, that his idea of a name change for the borough, a sort of expensive Emperor's new clothes, is the most stupid, and costly idea that has ever locally been mooted.

And don't forget, as Greg Pope said earlier in this thread, come election time, we'll all still be living in the constituency of
H-Y-N-D-B-U-R-N-!

Garinda, my point was not whether or not I agree with the name change. I've said that I'm not against it. I was simply making the point that anybody who is so vehemently against it should go to an area meeting. I respect anybody's views but if something is proposed that you don't agree with you need to make yourself heard properly, not only on Accy web. It's the same with people who don't go to vote and then complain that such a body has got in again. If you haven't voted you can't grumble. I'm not talking personally to you but to anybody who feels strongly against this or any other issue.
I would love to see a whole bunch of people chained to the railings. It would show that they are being proactive about it.
If it still goes ahead, well at least you tried and that's all you can do.
Old 20-10-2007, 10:32   #531
Resting in Peace

Just been onto the HBC web-site, they have changed their format .. no criticism on this, however, is this a new updated Hyndburn logo ? or is my imagination playing tricks with me.

Hyndburn Borough Council - Clayton and Altham Area Council

Thanks Neil, prompted me to look at the coucil meetings, hadn't realised,however, they probably have an agenda won't they and no deviation from this ?
Old 20-10-2007, 10:51   #532
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just been onto the HBC web-site, they have changed their format .. no criticism on this, however, is this a new updated Hyndburn logo ? or is my imagination playing tricks with me.

Hyndburn Borough Council - Clayton and Altham Area Council

Thanks Neil, prompted me to look at the coucil meetings, hadn't realised,however, they probably have an agenda won't they and no deviation from this ?
I have looked at that link you gave - the agenda has an item
"Open Forum Have your say on what matters to you"

I suppose you could have your say then

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 10:57   #533
Resting in Peace

I have been amusing myself with a varied scenario of the meeting with his Duke and Mayor Dobson if, in fact, the borough was named Accrington and District, perhaps the conversation may have gone a little like this :-

Duke : "Good afternoon Mayor Dobson, and which borough do you represent?"

Mayor Dobson: "Accrington and District, sir"

Duke: "Ah yes! Accrington - famous for its football team, Accrington de, de, de .... ?"

Mayor Dobson: "Stanley, sir"

Duke: "Thank you, Mayor Dobson .. yes, of course, famous for an earlier attempt to keep financially afloat but with eventual liquidation, and for that famous milk advert starring a child with the Liverpool accent. How are they fareing these days, by the way ?"

Mayor Dobson (puffing up with pride): " Have risen from the ashes sir, and are now in the 2nd division".

Duke: "Excellent, Mayor Dobson .. send them all my best wishes"

Mayor Dobson: (feeling he has done an excellent promotion job) "Thank you sir, will do".

Duke: "Well, must move on, lots of other Mayors to meet like the Mayor of Pendle and District, must find out what townships that encompasses. By the way, Mayor Dobson, where is Accrington?"
Old 20-10-2007, 11:29   #534
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Whoops, sorry about that 'tis the same logo, just found a letter heading from a year back .. the deer just looked a little slimmer to me.
Old 20-10-2007, 11:51   #535
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I respect anybody's views but if something is proposed that you don't agree with you need to make yourself heard properly, not only on Accy web.
True. The debate could also have aired on the council owned website Hyndburn Life...except that after being given, and wasting, £600,000 on it, it is longer operational.

More unbelievable incompetence from HBC.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 13:05   #536
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You can fill in a form and ask a question to the Area Council. They often have a question bit as well.
Old 20-10-2007, 13:06   #537
God Member

Quote:
You can fill in a form and ask a question to the Area Council. They often have a question bit as well.
So get yourself down there!
Old 20-10-2007, 13:11   #538
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Cheers .. you such a mind of information.

Suppose the wording of the question is important.

No good just asking any Conservative councillors views on it I suppose, more direct like 'What financial advantage/promotion/costings research shows that a change in the name is going to make to Hyndburn voters?' What you reckon ?
Old 20-10-2007, 13:29   #539
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
No good just asking any Conservative councillors views on it I suppose, more direct like 'What financial advantage/promotion/costings research shows that a change in the name is going to make to Hyndburn voters?' What you reckon ?
That depends on who chairs your Area Council Meeting. You want the Chair to be able to understand the question

Peter Britcliffe is the Chair of the Ossy one so maybe Garinda will go and ask the question for you.

I am hoping to be at the next Ossy one myself, reporting back to the Area Council about the progress of the Friends of Rhyddings Park. I have missed the last couple due to being at work.
Old 20-10-2007, 14:09   #540
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Incidentally, and more than a little ironically, Britcliffe uses his Mrs Dale's Diary type blog in this weekend's Observer, to berate Gordon Brown for not having a referendum over the European Treaty.

I quote...
'I don't care what Mr Brown says, he has absolutely no democratic mandate to sign this treaty without asking the British people's permision.'

I suggest Peter Britcliffe also asks the people of the borough, democratically, if we want to change the name of ther place, together with full and true costings, to help people decide.
Nice one Garinda .. He did give us a lovely weather report though

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..