Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2012, 19:20   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: I saw a UFO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Oh deary me, you really have gone over to the dark side Sue, BBC Radio 4 !!!!
She'll be reading the Mail next Dave
Old 17-05-2012, 19:38   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
How in the world can you say that after all ya walks along the canal
Yes, but when I walk on the canal both of my feet are in contact with the earth.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 19:42   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Na can't agree on this one Dave, one over the eight of Bitter but drugs na
The thing with alcoholic beverages is that you tend to look down at the pavement, the more you have the closer you get. From distant memory focus was never enhanced, hence the saying beer goggles
Old 17-05-2012, 20:07   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Spot on Eric - would love to have met the man. Eric and J B S Haldane... and me. Not bad company to keep. Have to say the only thing by him that I've read is his children's book My Friend Mr Leakey. But on looking him up on Wikipedia just now I came across a poem which ends

"...I know that cancer often kills,
But so do cars and sleeping pills;
And it can hurt one till one sweats,
So can bad teeth and unpaid debts.
A spot of laughter, I am sure,
Often accelerates one’s cure;
So let us patients do our bit
To help the surgeons make us fit."

I second that!

BTW did you know that Haldane died on your birthday?
What a coincidence ... I was born on my birthday
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 21:43   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What a coincidence ... I was born on my birthday
And I bet your mother was there as well.
Old 18-05-2012, 02:48   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
And I bet your mother was there as well.
No ... it was a saturday; so, she was at Peel Park watching Stanley
Old 18-05-2012, 08:24   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No ... it was a saturday; so, she was at Peel Park watching Stanley
Ha she picked you up from under the gooseberry bush after the final whistle then Eric
Old 18-05-2012, 16:43   #38
Senior Member+

Fact is I am always looking up for Hawks, Buzzards, Red Kites and other birds flying over so I have a good sense of perspective. There are planes flying over every few minutes down here.

The day was pure blue sky, with very few clouds, no haze. I saw what I assumed to be a Aircraft shining reflecting light - it went into a small cloud and I expected the craft to come out the other side! Except nothing did. I wasn't drinking or had taken any drugs - I believe this was Alien Spacecraft! Or some new cloaking device used on some military aircraft! End of!

Last edited by kestrelx; 18-05-2012 at 16:49.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 20:58   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

There's life out there, I have no doubt, the cosmos is simply too vast. Both the Fermi paradox and Drake equation sound perfectly plausible to me.

As for Alien visits, little green/grey men, abductions, crop circles and experiments on cattle, I'm a total sceptic.

Can't for the life of me find it on the interweb to give the link but I'm sure I once read a paper by Carl Sagan that described an approach by an alien craft to Earth.

The crux of it was, if I recall correctly, that any aliens scanning the planet would most likely regard us as parasites and vehicles as the actual lifeform.

I'm with Eric on this one, yeah there are plenty of UFO's out there but they are all of Earthly origin
Old 19-05-2012, 15:47   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
There's life out there, I have no doubt, the cosmos is simply too vast. Both the Fermi paradox and Drake equation sound perfectly plausible to me.

As for Alien visits, little green/grey men, abductions, crop circles and experiments on cattle, I'm a total sceptic.

Can't for the life of me find it on the interweb to give the link but I'm sure I once read a paper by Carl Sagan that described an approach by an alien craft to Earth.

The crux of it was, if I recall correctly, that any aliens scanning the planet would most likely regard us as parasites and vehicles as the actual lifeform.

I'm with Eric on this one, yeah there are plenty of UFO's out there but they are all of Earthly origin
It always amuses me that when folks describe aliens, the "creatures" they describe are not really all that alien. Most are bipeds, the early "hollywood" ones anyway. They seem to have little trouble breathing our atmosphere. Most have "human" sense organs: eyes, ears, mouth, nose etc ... they seem to adapt well to our gravity. Not only that, they arrive in machines with all kinds of neat technology ... as if, in a possibly infinite universe, the only way to get around is in some sort of conveyance. As if, indeed, the only way to be an intelligent life form is to be like us. And their behaviour is uncannily human.

There is a problem with defining aliens in terms of "intelligence" and "life" ... in other words, we define them in our terms, ones that we can understand. I think a little reification, and lots of anthropomorphization going on here.
Old 19-05-2012, 15:57   #41
God Member

Ancient mythology, including the bible, indicates that humans are the result of genetic engineering performed on early apes, in which 'their' (what we call ETs) genes were mixed to make ours.

Since they had to be here to do that, they would either -
..have to have been here before us and evolved from some other species
..or, arrived here, choosing this planet as being 'habitable' for them.

Last edited by MargaretR; 19-05-2012 at 15:59.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 17:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Ancient mythology, including the bible, indicates that humans are the result of genetic engineering performed on early apes, in which 'their' (what we call ETs) genes were mixed to make ours.

Since they had to be here to do that, they would either -
..have to have been here before us and evolved from some other species
..or, arrived here, choosing this planet as being 'habitable' for them.
Ancient mythology and the bible also indicate that a man can survive for weeks inside a whale, the whole earth was covered in water for 40 days, swans and showers of gold produced children and that thunder and lightning is caused by a bloke with long blond hair hitting an anvil with his hammer.

Not exactly trustworthy sources.
Old 19-05-2012, 17:34   #43
God Member

I find it more than any possible coincidence that myths from all areas of the globe all have references to 'reptilians'.

These 'myths' are illustrated in archeological artifacts.

kestrelx likes this.

Old 19-05-2012, 18:18   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Carl Sagan wrote a book entitled Dragons of Eden

The Dragons of Eden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He is mentioned at length in episode 4 of the video playlist I used in my last post.

Old 19-05-2012, 18:56   #45

Yes I'm aware of the book, David Icke bastardised Sagans musings on the reptilian brain, into a reptilian spacefaring race that currently rules the Earth.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..