Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2013, 20:37   #76
Senior Member+

Re: I saw a UFO!

the same way you turn other threads into drugs... just by mentioning them
jaysay likes this.
Old 14-11-2013, 21:08   #77

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
While I have no doubts there is life out there in the vastness of space, I feel I have to point out following.....

Pale Blue Dot: Distant Spacecraft Photograph Earth - NASA Science

This was a famous photograph taken in 1990 by the Voyager 1 Space Probe, at the time it was only 3.7 billion miles from Earth (approx). Earth is the lPale Blue Dot, low down on the righthand side.
I'm a big fan of that Pale Blue Dot thing that Sagan wrote and it still brings a tear to my eye from time to time when I feel particularly maudlin. Anyone with half a brain has to agree with him about extra terrestrial life though in my opinion.

Playing the odds, there has to be life out there, only a fool would think otherwise. We sit in a solar system, tucked away in the corner of a galaxy of 300 billion solar systems, on the outskirts of a universe with 200 billion galaxies that we can currently see (god alone knows how many are yet to be discovered). Attempting to put that into some kind of perspective, if the Earth was the size of a shirt button, each one of of us is a single bacteria on the back of on an ant in the middle of the Brazilian Rain forest.

But....

Lets just suppose that a vastly superior intelligence has the technology to see across interstellar space, and they can see so clearly that they know that Earth is inhabited. Lets then suppose that they also have ships that can cheaply travel across the vast expanse of space at vast multiples of light speed so that they could still be alive when they got here.

Lets ignore the film version warfaring aliens that want our water/gold/resources, because all that stuff can be mined much more easily from your average asteroid or comet, without having to deal with Will Smith and Bill Pulman flying F16's or worrying about getting the flu and crashing into Horsell Common.

I agree with you. Why would they come all this way to make crop circles, cut up cows and stick objects into the rectums of American farmers? Why would these super intelligent beings travel all this way just to leave their landing lights on as they fly north over the coppice?

They are definitely out there, but why would they even bother coming to this little backwater planet of ours?
Old 15-11-2013, 05:14   #78
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Why would they come all this way to make crop circles, cut up cows and stick objects into the rectums of American farmers?
Stag night high jinx?
susie123 and westendlass like this.
Old 16-11-2013, 08:19   #79

One thing about it, I don't think there's any fear of an invasion from another planet. If those little green men in their flying machines survey the place and see the way the Earth is today they'll keep well clear of it.
jaysay and susie123 like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 12:58   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
One thing about it, I don't think there's any fear of an invasion from another planet. If those little green men in their flying machines survey the place and see the way the Earth is today they'll keep well clear of it.
Stay well clear dotti, they'd run away screaming
Old 16-11-2013, 13:01   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
the same way you turn other threads into drugs... just by mentioning them
Rubbish your on another planet mate!
Restless and susie123 like this.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 13:10   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

I agree with you. Why would they come all this way to make crop circles, cut up cows and stick objects into the rectums of American farmers? Why would these super intelligent beings travel all this way just to leave their landing lights on as they fly north over the coppice?

They are definitely out there, but why would they even bother coming to this little backwater planet of ours?
We go in to the countryside with guns and blast the hell out of pheasants and other animals- but do we explain to the pheasant why we shoot them? We go into the rain forest and chop down trees and kill the wildlife but we don't explain to the monkey's "Oh excuse us we are just going to wreck your home and kill your friends!" And we don't do this because we believe we are superior beings and those animals aren't even capable of understanding!

Likewise then; there could be ALiens who come here to Earth and do things and don't feel the need to explain to us - what and why they are doing something - because they may see us as dumb animals.
Old 16-11-2013, 13:35   #83
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
but do we explain to the pheasant why we shoot them?
I say old Chap, the shooting of peasants is jolly good fun don't you know! One needn't explain ones self to the Oikery! Of course, it's bad form to wing one, so jolly well make sure one has sufficient shot for the job in hand.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 16-11-2013, 14:24   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I say old Chap, the shooting of peasants is jolly good fun don't you know! One needn't explain ones self to the Oikery! Of course, it's bad form to wing one, so jolly well make sure one has sufficient shot for the job in hand.
I'm surely glad I'm not a PEASANT Dave
Old 16-11-2013, 15:01   #85
JFT96

There is one small problem with that idea.......
We inhabit the same planet as pheasant, wildlife etc.
Our solar system is not inhabited by aliens.

Having said that, the universe will have planets with other creatures on, whether or not they are capable of interstellar travel and are able to spot our tiny planet, let alone visit it, depends on your outlook

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 16-11-2013 at 15:06.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 15:06   #86
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I saw a UFO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm surely glad I'm not a PEASANT Dave
But, wouldn't it be nice if every now and then you were PLEASANT?

Only joking Jay, I know you can't be blamed for your parents attempt at breeding !
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 08:31   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
But, wouldn't it be nice if every now and then you were PLEASANT?

Only joking Jay, I know you can't be blamed for your parents attempt at breeding !
Well I have heard that they took on look at me and said never again we can 't improve on perfection
Old 17-11-2013, 08:52   #88
Full Member+

If visitors from another universe landed in this country they'd probably be tasered, roughed up and slapped with a council tax bill with the threat of the bailiffs being unleashed when they found that anal probes were not legal tender.
Less, Boeing Guy and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 17-11-2013, 10:56   #89
JFT96

You mean somthing like this?
westendlass likes this.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 15:35   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
There is one small problem with that idea.......
We inhabit the same planet as pheasant, wildlife etc.
Our solar system is not inhabited by aliens.

Having said that, the universe will have planets with other creatures on, whether or not they are capable of interstellar travel and are able to spot our tiny planet, let alone visit it, depends on your outlook
Yeh but they may exist on other planets and also perhaps on this planet on other dimensions - in the sea and there are other theories.

The comparisson is I wonder how other life forms like animals/birds percieve us, when we enroach on their habitats perhaps for the first time!

Anyone interested? Tonight 8pm on ITV 1 a new 2 pt program called Mystery Map about unexplained incidents like UFO sightings etc

Last edited by kestrelx; 20-11-2013 at 15:41.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..