Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2011, 08:18   #1
Common Sense Member

I'm going outside now, I may be some time

Cllr Britcliffe made a spectacular early exit from a meeting yesterday, this time at Cabinet. After leaving an Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting in May, the ejection from Full Council in June and then the en masse walkout from Full Council in September I'm just wondering if this is a new trademark?

Bye bye 'good news', hello Captain Oates....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2011, 08:22   #2
God Member

Re: I'm going outside now, I may be some time

I never quite understand why people do this or hang up the phone as you can't actually influence anything unless you are party to the conversation. IMHO it demostrates a lack of confidence in your ability to negotiate, debate or in the courage of your conviction itself.

Otherwise know as Childish.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 08:46   #3
God Member

Is there not an analogy here? If this was a board meeting of a private company, then a director who regularly walked out of meetings would be dismissed. It seems to me that the most important role of a councillor is to attend meetings such as this if elected to do so. However, local councils are a democracy and providing a councillor is not in fragrant breach of the rules then he is only answerable to his electorate. But surely questions must now be asked as to the level of financial remuneration that this councillor is claiming to do a job which he is blatantly not doing.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 08:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Can we have information what the ruling group are now doing for the council tax payers, such as the new Core Strategy and Accrington Area Action Plan,instead of all this piffle
Old 13-10-2011, 08:58   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can we have information what the ruling group are now doing for the council tax payers, such as the new Core Strategy and Accrington Area Action Plan,instead of all this piffle
Sorry John, thought you were someone else for a moment.

Here you go:

Accrington Town Centre Area Action Plan - Accrington Area Action Plan (AAP)

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:00   #6
JFT96

Maybe he wanted to check his Blackberry?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:22   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Sorry John, thought you were someone else for a moment.

Here you go:

Accrington Town Centre Area Action Plan - Accrington Area Action Plan (AAP)
No need to give me the link mate, was sent it officially through the post
Old 13-10-2011, 09:29   #8
Senior Member+

A fragrant breach ? This sort of thing leaves a bad smell. Kick up a stink, Ken.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 09:39   #9
Give, give, give member

I'm certainly not making excuses, as I'm supposedly a Labour apologist.

However, he's had a traumatic time very recently, discovering the dead body of a close (mutual) friend.

Probably nothing to do with this, but cutting him a little slack, if it is, might be appreciated.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:01   #10
Beacon of light

While I understand that personal problems can influence our actions in everyday life, he is in a position of responsibility and should be able to manage his life.(he has enough life experience)
Everyone has problems of one sort or another in these troubled times, it does not excuse what is, put simply, childish, diva type behaviour......it makes me think he isn't getting quite enough attention, so manufactures events/situations that will push him into the limelight again. How sad!

When I was in charge of staff I would offer what support I could, but made it quite clear that if they were not up to doing the job they were paid to do, then they should take sick leave/compassionate leave....if they chose to come to work then problems were left at the door and could be picked up again on their way out.

This may seem harsh but you have to be realistic....and you have a service to run, a job to do.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 13-10-2011 at 10:05.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:05   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While I understand that personal problems can influence our actions in everyday life, he is in a position of responsibility and should be able to manage his life.(he has enough life experience)
Everyone has problems of one sort or another in these troubled times, it does not excuse what is, put simply, childish, diva type behaviour......it makes me think he isn't getting quite enough attention, so manufactures events/situations that will push him into the limelight again. How sad!

When I was in charge of staff I would offer what support I could, but made it quite clear that if they were not up to doing the job they were paid to do, then they should take sick leave/compassionate leave....if they chose to come to work then problems were left at the door and could be picked up again on their way out.
Perhaps I shouldn't have put that.
As I said, it isn't an excuse.
I do know he's devastated, and just wondered if it might be connected.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:10   #12
Beacon of light

If it is, then he should make it plain to his colleagues so that they could offer him some support....me, being the cynical person that I am, feel that is most likely to be the other reason I cited.......publicity starvation. A fall in his megalomania levels.
Old 13-10-2011, 10:12   #13
Beacon of light

He's just a bit long in the tooth to be chucking his toys out of the pram......spitting the dummy.
It will not gain him any friends or support.
Old 13-10-2011, 11:35   #14
Senior Member+

The Leader of the Opposition Party has no constitutional standing whatsoever at a Cabinet meeting. He made sure of that when he was Leader of the Council.

So his departure, however childish, attention-seeking or provocative, was basically irrelevant.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:35   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm certainly not making excuses, as I'm supposedly a Labour apologist.

However, he's had a traumatic time very recently, discovering the dead body of a close (mutual) friend.

Probably nothing to do with this, but cutting him a little slack, if it is, might be appreciated.
Totally irrelevant. This is the fourth time he has exited a council meeting in the space of six months. Either this clown does the job he is paid to do or he makes way for someone else.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..