Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2011, 17:51   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: I'm going outside now, I may be some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I must concur, Bernard. This morning I chaired a Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee which was completely different to the one that Cllr Britcliffe attended on 3rd October. Everyone came away feeling very positive about the recommendations to be sent to Cabinet and I hope Cllr Marlene Haworth, who was invited as a speaker on the Market Hall and made some very worthwhile contributions, agrees.

There are productive cross-party discussions every day, it just seems to be the odd member who tries to turn every one of them into a soapbox.
Its just a pity really that you two back slappers couldn't take the trouble to answer accyman with regards to human waste disposal, until you were shamed into doing so, I hardly think a thread on Britcliffe walking out of a meeting two minutes before the end really warrants it do you.
Old 14-10-2011, 17:58   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
See my post #2, only way to influence anything is to be party to the debate
Ian the bloody debate was over, its just Mossy going on one of his I hate Britcliffe campaigns knowing he has lots of supporters on here ready to shout Hear Hear Kenny old chap But at least its drawn Bernard out of his hiding hole to make a comment, something that has been very rare on here since May, you never know if we're lucky we might even get a fleeting visit from claytonender too
Old 14-10-2011, 18:01   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
See my post #2, only way to influence anything is to be party to the debate
According to the report in the Observer.

'The decision was passed by the cabinet committee on Wednesday, prompting a walkout from the Conservative leader.'

'Coun Britcliffe said 'I'm going to leave now. Quite frankly it stinks.'

When it's all done and dusted, bit pointless carrying on arguing, when there's no way to change someting, that quite frankly is begining to have a very unpleasant odour.

Indeed, every time I hear of tax payers' money being used to fund 'Black & Ethnic Minority' anything, I smell the terrible stink associated with racism.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 18:05   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Indeed, every time I hear of tax payers' money being used to fund 'Black & Ethnic Minority' anything, I smell the terrible stink associated with racism.

It's the way the country and it's rulers have gone. It's not racism, it's a lack of balls by politiicians, constantly pandering to the political correctness that has this country on it's knees.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:15   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
It's the way the country and it's rulers have gone. It's not racism, it's a lack of balls by politiicians, constantly pandering to the political correctness that has this country on it's knees.
Quite agree.

It is like being back in loony Lambeth.

Discrimination of any sort, positive, or not is abhorent.

Please, just for a laugh, someone apply to H.B.C. for thirty six grands worth of funding for the Accrington White and Non-Ethnic Centre.

Er...councillors, we have laws that make it illegal to discriminate on every conceivable issue possible.

We are all supposedly equal.

There is absolutely no need at all to spend our taxes on bodies, who by their very nature, differentiate and divide people.

Last edited by garinda; 14-10-2011 at 18:19.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:20   #81
Senior Member+

Only 2 points really....

1) Don't pin anything on the great "universal credit" , everytime I hear it mentioned it's slipped back another year or so and by the time the DWP have got it sorted whoever is in charged will have come up with some other fantastic solution.
2) The only stink from this thread is coming from Mr B's biggest mate, a man so hypocritical I'd rather have no mates at all that one like him. Face it John, he's not in power in any more and is making a pretty poor of job of just being a councillor. ( or maybe he could come on here and share his views , since you think it's so important that every other councillor does....)
Old 14-10-2011, 19:11   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Only 2 points really....

1) Don't pin anything on the great "universal credit" , everytime I hear it mentioned it's slipped back another year or so and by the time the DWP have got it sorted whoever is in charged will have come up with some other fantastic solution.
2) The only stink from this thread is coming from Mr B's biggest mate, a man so hypocritical I'd rather have no mates at all that one like him. Face it John, he's not in power in any more and is making a pretty poor of job of just being a councillor. ( or maybe he could come on here and share his views , since you think it's so important that every other councillor does....)
Lindsay, Britcliffe never has been on here as you put it, but the likes of Cllrs Dawson and Smith had plenty to say whilst in opposition but have now gone missing. I'm am very picky who I call mate and I don't afford that title to PB, the reason I have had a go on this NON THREAD is because its a bloody stupid thread to start with and certainly doesn't address any of the things being being legislated at HBC, yet every decision under the last administration was scrutinized under a microscope on here, reminds me of that football song, you only sing when your winning
Old 14-10-2011, 19:12   #83
Beacon of light

One of the points which hasn't so far been mentioned, is that this centre which was situated on Cannon Street, was mainly used by B.M.E's....the number if indigenous people as Councillor Britcliffe called them, was negligible..........The letter complaining about the move of the centre had no ethnic names as signataries.......so does this mean that the people who put their name to this letter have complained because the ethnic minorities are getting a service they have always used........(and which we have failed to use) money allocated, and feel aggrieved because of this?

I don't know....I'm only asking the question......why is it important all of a sudden when locals (non ethnics) have rarely used it in the past?

Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-10-2011 at 19:17.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:16   #84
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Lindsay, Britcliffe never has been on here as you put it, but the likes of Cllrs Dawson and Smith had plenty to say whilst in opposition but have now gone missing. I'm am very picky who I call mate and I don't afford that title to PB, the reason I have had a go on this NON THREAD is because its a bloody stupid thread to start with and certainly doesn't address any of the things being being legislated at HBC, yet every decision under the last administration was scrutinized under a microscope on here, reminds me of that football song, you only sing when your winning
John, that isn't strictly true.......didn't he post on here in the third person?

Ok, he didn't make many posts, but that was his choice.......and there is absolutely nothing stopping him from coming on here at any time and posting his views....and maybe telling us his own point of view on the situation of this non thread.

He doesn't deserve you to be fighting his corner....he could do it himself.
Old 14-10-2011, 19:17   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
One of the points which hasn't so far been mentioned is that this centre which was situated on Cannon Street was mainly used by B.M.E's....the number if indigenous people as Councillor Britcliffe called them, was negligible..........The letter complaining about the move of the centre had no ethnic names as signataries.......so does this mean that the people who put their name to this letter have complained because the ethnic minorities are getting a service they have always used........(and which we have failed to use) money allocated, and feel aggrieved because of this?

I don't know....I'm only asking the question......why is it important all of a sudden when locals (non ethnics) have rarely used it in the past?

Perhaps someone will enlighten me.
I agree.

More facts are needed.

Though there is an unpleasant whiff about it all.

Old 14-10-2011, 19:21   #86
Beacon of light

Maybe the centre has gone to Hannah Street because it is an area where there are a lot of ethnic minorities.....who actually use this service.

Maybe if the work of the centre was publicised more, it would be used by more non ethnics(not sure if this is PC or not)....and if the local non ethnics had a real need for this service they would get there....after all Hannah Street isn't exactly Outer Mongolia........buses may not go past the door, but a taxi will take you anywhere you want to go....and won't be much more expensive than the bus(it might even be cheaper).
Old 14-10-2011, 19:27   #87
God Member

Quote:
Maybe the centre has gone to Hannah Street because it is an area where there are a lot of ethnic minorities.....who actually use this service.

Maybe if the work of the centre was publicised more, it would be used by more non ethnics(not sure if this is PC or not)....and if the local non ethnics had a real need for this service they would get there....after all Hannah Street isn't exactly Outer Mongolia........buses may not go past the door, but a taxi will take you anywhere you want to go....and won't be much more expensive than the bus(it might even be cheaper).
I have no idea what sort of advice they give out, but I'm sure the non-ethnic community already have a one stop advice shop in the town centre on what was formerly Abbey St
Old 14-10-2011, 19:38   #88
Beacon of light

Ah, but it isn't in line for heafty chunk of council funding.(unless you have some inside information) I think that is the nub of the issue, plus it is seen to be ethnic people who get the benefit of the service....but it is these people who make the most use of it.

There is nothing stopping non ethnics from using the service if they have need of it.
Old 14-10-2011, 19:56   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ah, but it isn't in line for heafty chunk of council funding.(unless you have some inside information) I think that is the nub of the issue, plus it is seen to be ethnic people who get the benefit of the service....but it is these people who make the most use of it.

There is nothing stopping non ethnics from using the service if they have need of it.
Would you feel welcome in a Black & Ethnic Minority centre?

I've already posted links on this forum to B.M.E. groups, in receipt of H.B.C. funding, who openly state ONLY black or ethnic women are able to attend various events.

Old 14-10-2011, 20:04   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Would you feel welcome in a Black & Ethnic Minority centre?

I've already posted links on this forum to B.M.E. groups, in receipt of H.B.C. funding, who openly state ONLY black or ethnic women are able to attend various events.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ist-57146.html

Quote:
On Facebook a new production at the Civic Arts Centre showed on my page. Having an interest in theatre, I thought I'd have a look.

As part of the International Woman's Week, something that's already divisive and separatist in my opinion, but that's for another thread, they have a production called Hurried Steps, the stories of eight women, as reported to Amnesty International.

shows

It states it's presented by the New Shoes Theatre in association with the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women.

http://www.civicartscentre.co.uk/documents/HSCAC.pdf

Who are the Lancashire-wide Network for Ethnic Minority Women? Thought I. Seeing as they're part funded by the council tax payer, via Lancashire County Council.

Handily they have a website.

Lancashire Wide Network for Minority Ethnic Women

Which has a link to their latest newsletter.

http://www.lwnmew.org.uk/minority_et...n/issue_79.pdf

All kinds of lovely things. Coffee and cake mornings, boosting self confidence courses. Even a five week course on complementary therapies.

If you like the sound of it, might be worth signing up for one of their courses.

Only one problem.

All these things are only open to 'BME ladies'.

Meaning black, and minority ethnic women, exclusively.

This is just the sort of blindly ignorant liberalism that fuels peoples' support for extremist political groups.

If we are to have integration for all, then these divisive, publicly funded separatists organisations, need to be outlawed now.

We have laws that make racism a crime.

They are supposed to apply equally to everyone.

Apparently they don't.

At least in Lancashire.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..