Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 11:11   #1
God Member

just when you thought it was safe to go back into the churchyard....

It seems, according to the Observer, that well known empire builder Brian - sorry, Nigel Rix, whose last appearance was as director of Hyndburn First, is riding the range again. This time as Vice-Chairman of Sure Start Hyndburn. I should imagine that there is plenty of scope for expenses and allowances there, there must be because Rix seldom does anything for nothing.
Having made a complete b*lls-up of the regeneration of the borough, by masterminding god knows how many failed applications for government regeneration funds, which resulted from his untimely departure from the local scene beneath a cloud of deepest grey. He has decided to stick his oar in again to encourage the Rev Kevin Logan to desecrate part of the chuchyard of Christ Church.

Their plan is to remove the topsoil from part of the graveyard and create a childrens play area and a pram and refuse bin storage area. The bodies of our relatives buried there, would remain in situ. The rev. Logan reckons that "it is highly unlikley that there are any remains left but of course we still cherish the memory of those that were buried there".

Au contraire, Rev. As previous exhumations in the centre of Accrington have confirmed, bodies buried in the 19th century are still very much in evidence, especially the ones that were embalmed prior to inhumation. I recall tales of bodies with hair and fingernails intact when the Union Street cemetery was cleared. It takes a whole lot longer than a mere 150 years to reduce human remains to dust.

Do members think that it is right to encourage children to play on the graves of their ancestors?

Rix says, "We understand that there may be some concerns as this is a sensitive area for local people but we very much hope that once the area is complete people will understand the importance that outdoor play has for children."

Are the little dears not able to access King Georges Playing Fields or Oak Hill Park then Nigel?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 01-04-2007 at 11:13.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32   #2
God Member

Re: just when you thought it was safe to go back into the churchyard....

Just a point, Nigel Rix has been Chair/Vice Chair of Sure Start for a long time - it's not a new role for him.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post

Rix says, "We understand that there may be some concerns as this is a sensitive area for local people but we very much hope that once the area is complete people will understand the importance that outdoor play has for children."
what a bloody idiot this guy is , isnt he aware of a huge area that could be used called milnshaw park.i think he shoudl start using what we already have available before desecrating peoples graves
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:53   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Just a point, Nigel Rix has been Chair/Vice Chair of Sure Start for a long time - it's not a new role for him.
Thanks for that Gayle, I was aware that he was when he left HBC but I thought that he had washed his hands of Hyndburn. Seems that there are some stains you cannot get out, no matter how much you scrub.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
what a bloody idiot this guy is , isnt he aware of a huge area that could be used called milnshaw park.i think he shoudl start using what we already have available before desecrating peoples graves
Here, here both of you .. would like to know what prompted this plan in the first place before commenting too much, but does seem that we have enough parks around to accommodate play areas, albeit lots of children don't like to frequent them at present due to lack of control over the gangs that hang out there, etc.

I also think that when you are young you have nightmares about graves and people being buried under your feet .. I know I did when I was little .. wouldn't have had the nerve to walk on a grave in the cemetery for fear of some sort of reprisal due to lack of respect Will get know as 'The Graveyard'.. "Where you going little Johnny?" "Just out to play in the Graveyard mum" Brrrrrrrr.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21   #6
Resting in Peace

Just read the report and whilst not doing a U-turn on my thoughts here, seems the money is coming from Government funding from Children's Centre Cash, not HBC ... just in case anyone generates this point, as probably Gayle will soon .. LOL.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

"Where you going little Janet?" "Just out to dance on great-grandads grave mum" Grrrrrrrr.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 14:34   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just read the report and whilst not doing a U-turn on my thoughts here, seems the money is coming from Government funding from Children's Centre Cash, not HBC ... just in case anyone generates this point, as probably Gayle will soon .. LOL.
I don't think the issue here is where the money's coming from!

Old 01-04-2007, 14:36   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Thanks for that Gayle, I was aware that he was when he left HBC but I thought that he had washed his hands of Hyndburn. Seems that there are some stains you cannot get out, no matter how much you scrub.
Actually, you might be right for all I know. I knew he was the Chair of Sure Start about four years ago and to be honest, was just making the assumption that his service was uninterrupted.

I'd be interested to know what he's been doing to earn a living over the last few years - just out of curiousity you understand.

Old 01-04-2007, 15:52   #10
Give, give, give member

Talking of graveyards, the site of Foxhill Bank Methodist church on Union Road in Oswaldtwistle, still has bodies underneath it, and at the moment is being turned into a carpark, for the recently given change of use by HBC, to be a Booze Busters.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 16:21   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Talking of graveyards, the site of Foxhill Bank Methodist church on Union Road in Oswaldtwistle, still has bodies underneath it, and at the moment is being turned into a carpark, for the recently given change of use by HBC, to be a Booze Busters.
Eeew hek, Garinda, seeing as they stole the idea of their name from the 'Ghostbuster' film, might turn around on them ..
Old 01-04-2007, 16:32   #12

Nigel Rix, I remember that guy very well. In my opinion it would help if he knew what he was talking about and took his head from up his own bottom.

Did he leave HBC......or was he pushed?

Last edited by Neal; 01-04-2007 at 16:37.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 18:08   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Nigel Rix, I remember that guy very well. In my opinion it would help if he knew what he was talking about and took his head from up his own bottom.

I'm sure Gondola will be able to bring us up to date ............
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 19:43   #14
God Member

I too dont like the thought of it, I wouldn't have known that there were a graveyard there if it hadn't have been reported though. I'd prefer to see the park areas of Accy and surrounding areas improved and used.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:57   #15
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

A bit of both Neal, the Council tax had to be raised to pay him out I am led to believe. Back to the thread it's bad enough seeing the St James Church graveyard being used for a dog toilet, as this is what seems to happen to 'childrens' playing fields, these lazy cretins can smell a bit of 'green' before the dog can. Let the dead rest in peace, and just remember they paid hard earned cash for the privilige.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..