Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 13:08   #1
God Member

We need something like this in Accy

We could do with some of these street paintings in Accy, if you came across one you would probably walk round it, that way if the painted them in the right places you might miss all the broken flags and loose paving there is in the town!!

Is that John Major in the second photo? the one in the hole.
I always wondered what happened to him

heres a pic to remind you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.7 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (79.8 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (64.9 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (71.1 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (84.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg major.jpg (5.9 KB, 157 views)

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 09-05-2005 at 13:51.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2005, 13:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: We need something like this in Accy

hahaha

they're class!!!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 13:56   #3
Foreign Correspondent

Thanks for the photos! Some very clever works of art.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 14:16   #4
God Member

Eh? I thought we already had pavement art on the mean streets of Accy. I can think of several titled exhibits currently gracing our town:

"CHEWING GUM" by various artiists. A mighty montage of expugated filth stretching from Harwood in the North to Ossy in the south and Huncoat in the East to Knuzden in the west Possibly the largest art work in the world, covering an area of aprox. 16 square miles.

"VOMIT" a collection by local post-futurist action concept artists, borrowing heavily from the style of Jackson Pollock. Challenging the four dimensional concept of Time and Space, the best examples are to be found in the early hours of saturday and sunday morning in the vicinity of Church street and in front of the town hall.

"DONER KEBAB" by artists known as The Plonkers. Yes, you've got to be to eat this garbage...but then again, who does? This is in fact the end product of a Performance Concept show which is usually scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights...the actors proceed to go out, spend 20 quid on a dozen bicardi breezers. then waste their final fiver on a Donner which is smelt for body bits then slung to one side before the said artists depart the scene in a taxi, whose fare will be unpaid and whose driver will be assaulted.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-05-2005 at 14:44.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 14:28   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

got to agree about church street vicinity of town,never go near that area of town at night,occasionally we used to walk down from the canine for a cab now i take my mobile and ring from wherever.last time i walked down it was intimidating to put it mildly,my missus did not feel safe.- back to the thread- we love pavement art and wouldn't mind at all seeing some decent stuff.
Old 09-05-2005, 15:22   #6
God Member

They are superb, Why not send then to PB and get them to brighten up Broadway?

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 15:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
They are superb, Why not send then to PB and get them to brighten up Broadway?

Ian
It would'nt happen. Britcliffe would want a feasability study done first at a cost of fifty thousand quid and then Councillor Jones would oppose it on the basis that some of the artwork would not be politically correct.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-05-2005 at 15:37.
Old 09-05-2005, 15:40   #8
God Member

No-ones mentioned John Major yet! is it him or not?
If we got one in Accy like that should we put PB in the picture?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 15:53   #9
God Member

The problem is these "paintings" as such are actually chalk drawings. They do 'em an awful lot in London around the Covent garden and Leicester square area, and typically take half a day or so to complete, after which the artists sits around and collects money in his pot. However, they have to watch the weather forecast because they're soon washed away. I can't see them making an impact in Accy simply because of the high local rainfall.

However, I seem to recall Acrylic-Bob took a degree in fine art, so I'll bet a penny to a pound he knows how to paint or chalk up a pretty piccy. I've no doubt he could run off an excellent "Britcliffe Special" on the Broadway in the space of an hour or two.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-05-2005 at 15:59.
Old 09-05-2005, 15:55   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H

it would get worn out within a few hours as everyone will be queing up to stamp on the idiots face
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 16:50   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
SOMEBODY should put P.B. in the picture but I for one haven't got the time!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:17   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

P.B.s face should be placed in fancy loo on peel st face upwards.
Old 09-05-2005, 22:19   #13
I am Banned

with his mouth open although i think it is already full of crap lol
Old 09-05-2005, 22:34   #14
Resident Waffler

Yes I think it is John Major because if you look the artist is wearing a Tony Blair mask, which then leaves me wondering who the other guy in the hole is meant to be.

The artists are very talented. I have seen some locally years ago but I don't think they were up to this standard. Last time we saw some in York they were done on Canvas not on the actual ground. Maybe there was some rule or regulation there that no chalk had to actually touch the pavement.

Although these are done in chalk it would be fun to have similar trompe l'oeil painted (with paint) on the ground on Broadway although it would have to be very hard wearing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 22:44   #15
I am Banned

these drawing are quite old and have been floating around the net for some years and yes it is john major and the other guy is probably the leader of the other opposition at the time john major was tory leader or one of majors assosiates

paddy ashdown or whoever was leader at that time of the other opposition

Last edited by chav1; 09-05-2005 at 22:45.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..