Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2013, 12:29   #106
I am Banned

Re: Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Speaking of oil in lamp DtheP, 1986 was a bit too late, The rot started more n 30 yrs before that wi the cotton industry, old looms etc, replaced by new in India n eastern places, also No health n safety, pay much less, fer obvious reasons, If re-investment had occured in the U.K. the decline of industry would have been much slower.
And who manufactured these looms and sold them out to these far Eastern places?....I am sure you know as I do quite a few out-fitters from round here who made tidy little sums working out in these woe-begotten places showing Johnny foreigner how to operate em.
Selling off the family silver some would say...others moi included would say the inexorable march of globalisation.
cmonstanley likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2013, 12:45   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I could never imagine a boy and girl having a romantic conversation in German but I suppose they must have done or there wouldn't be any Germans.
i think in germany it goes a little like this

"lie down helga i vill onzly do zis vonce "

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 12:46   #108
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh I forgot, and wouldn't Accyweb be dull as well
Oh yes because all this political nonsense is making thread reading really exciting
Old 14-04-2013, 12:48   #109
God Member

maybe we should have a referendum on if we should have political debates in general chat

if you elect me i will vote on allowing this referendum to take place

honest i pwomise

i dont actually know what im standing for but vote for me anyway

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-04-2013, 12:52   #110
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
maybe we should have a referendum on if we should have political debates in general chat

if you elect me i will vote on allowing this referendum to take place

honest i pwomise

i dont actually know what im standing for but vote for me anyway
You can always change your mind when you get in
Eric, accyman and maxthecollie like this.
Old 14-04-2013, 13:10   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
And who manufactured these looms and sold them out to these far Eastern places?....I am sure you know as I do quite a few out-fitters from round here who made tidy little sums working out in these woe-begotten places showing Johnny foreigner how to operate em.
Selling off the family silver some would say...others moi included would say the inexorable march of globalisation.
Well lets be honest, they had to sell somewhere, if the stupid gits here would not invest in new stuff? But like all there ilk preferred to stuff the back pockets! what had these manufacturers to do,go bust as well?
Old 14-04-2013, 13:15   #112
God Member

politics affects every little thing you do in life,to catching the bus(every private bus firm is subsidized .so when here is cuts the bus fare goes up.the railways the prices go up even when the subsidies stay the same as they have to pay their shareholders .the price of food with vat etc.internet charges the tv everything is affected by politics. moving it away from general chat would be impossible.
Old 14-04-2013, 13:35   #113

Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

The shareholders are almost always pension firms. So for all of the big firms, everything from M&S through to bus companies, rail etc the majority owners are Standard life, Scottish widows, Aberdeen etc providing pensioners with pensions. It's not a bad thing that shareholders make a return because that's how people live in retirement.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:39   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

now that would be teh actions of a right arse

Old 14-04-2013, 13:40   #115
God Member

instead of talking politics why dont we talk about religeon

that should calm things down

Old 14-04-2013, 13:43   #116
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
instead of talking politics why dont we talk about religeon

that should calm things down
Hallaypigginlooyah my son!

That will get restless telling us what a devout atheist he is.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:53   #117

Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

2012 was a record year for British car production. We made more cars in Britain than ever before. Land Rover, Range Rover, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin and Nissan all hitting production records exporting all over the world, particularly in Asia.

How many here want British Leyland back? And why? A business that was bad to begin with, finished not by Maggie but by union practices combining with a terrible product.

Sure all these companies are now owned overseas, but so what? The manufacturing and jobs are UK and as noted earlier UK pension funds are big investors in these companies. In car technology the UK, and specifically the Midlands today, leads the world (formula 1 type technology).
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 17:16   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hallaypigginlooyah my son!

That will get restless telling us what a devout atheist he is.
I think of myself as kinda borderline agnostic/atheist
Old 14-04-2013, 17:20   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oh yes because all this political nonsense is making thread reading really exciting
Apart from political threads there's very little posting going on
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 17:21   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Think that's happened somewhere before, can't for the life in me think where though
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..