Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2013, 10:18   #181
I am Banned

Re: Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What amuses me even more is the fact that everyone who comes on this site makes mistakes even you Mr. D. even Less and MargaretR, you see when you use a spellcheck on a quoted post, it shows up spelling mistakes in that post too. Some peoples English is atrocious, since when as teh been a word and its used more than anything on here, by may I add numerous people. But there is one thing, at least I do make the effort to try and make, what I post on here readable, unlike some, especially somebody from over the boarder, in that case I've 9 year old grandson who be able to teach him more than a thing or two in 3 different languages
Back in the day on my old steam powered Amstrad Word Processor I very quickly realised that a spell-checker was truly wonderful if indeed peeps knew what some of the alternative words or variations meant. Never troubled me I hasten to add, condescendingly
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2013, 10:23   #182
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You're point being that you also have heard of the term therefore it's not as Foreign a phrase as to allow another member to so condescendingly accuse Eric of being condescending?
Are we keeping a dead industry alive Less debating the merits and values of good spellin' sic

Old 16-04-2013, 10:36   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Heard the phrase OK Alan but did you know what Shinola was?
Yup, known for years. I have no doubt if i was to ask any of my friends and family they to would know as well.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 10:56   #184
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Yup, known for years. I have no doubt if i was to ask any of my friends and family they to would know as well.
Fair enough Alan
Old 16-04-2013, 11:25   #185

Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Appropriate that it is listed on the dead industry thread though. Another one for the long list.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:24   #186
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEaston View Post
Appropriate that it is listed on the dead industry thread though. Another one for the long list.
Indeed, just as the demise of home grown computers can't be considered a thread wander.
We worked through all our own weird and wonderful systems their versions of basic programming and our persistence has been rewarded by being confused by windows 8.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 13:27   #187
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Once more, they've always been let down
Yeh mean like you were when they didn't select Mr Blobby?
Old 16-04-2013, 14:24   #188
God Member

Quote:
Yet they still vote Labour
Probably just a bad habit they got into when they were young
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:26   #189
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Back in the day on my old steam powered Amstrad Word Processor I very quickly realised that a spell-checker was truly wonderful if indeed peeps knew what some of the alternative words or variations meant. Never troubled me I hasten to add, condescendingly
Not like you to be condescending Mr. D.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:30   #190
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh mean like you were when they didn't select Mr Blobby?
That wasn't a let down that was utter stupidity, which ensured we now have Jones swimming around in his own little world, sucking up to Mr. Ed
Old 16-04-2013, 17:45   #191
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
That wasn't a let down that was utter stupidity, which ensured we now have Jones swimming around in his own little world, sucking up to Mr. Ed
Nah, he didn't need help from your man, he proved himself capable of lying his way into that position all on his own.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:48   #192
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nah, he didn't need help from your man, he proved himself capable of lying his way into that position all on his own.
Well I have to admit he is good at it, lying that is
Old 17-04-2013, 07:31   #193
God Member

Having scanned through all 190 odd posts there was a mention some time back that seems to have been glossed over.

Whilst it may not have been by design the fact that we stopped mining so many years ago means we have "accidentally" preserved our stock of coal whilst others were prepared to sell their resources so cheaply. As these countries run out we have the option of restarting our mining industry and utilising our own resources and thus not being held to ransom by the few countries still producing today. this buffer could be key to seeing us through whilst alternative methods are put in place. ( Nuclear, wind/wave/whatever).

I personally think Shale gas is going to be a controversial option, whilst I don't see us having San Fran style earthquakes and fire and brimstone being ejected high above morecambe bay our housing/buildings were not built with shakes in mind so are probably not very resilient to them.
cashman, Boeing Guy and Lucysgirl like this.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 11:35   #194

Keeping Dead Industries Alive....

Agreed Ent. I cannot see why any country would take a natural resource out of the ground at a loss. To me that is throwing away my kids resources, worse in fact it was wasting taxpayer money to throw away those resources.

Buy foreign resources while they are cheaper than ours so we might actually get some value out of our own when they are scarce. Coal takes thousands of years to form and, like oil, it is not in endless supply. We have masses of the stuff so get to it when it's £100 a ton or more.

Similar thing happened to oil. I recall not so long ago when it was $13 a barrel and only the Saudis could get to it and sell it above cost. Now the world only about 40 years of oil left the price is going to go one way and it ain't down!
jaysay and Boeing Guy like this.
GEaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 00:39   #195

I also agree. This happened with the Cornish tin mines; they closed down due to difficult mining conditions including water problems and then decades later when world conditions prevailed and mining technology advanced they re-opened. I read not too long ago that one mine was estimated to be worth over £1billion and would be opening again.

I also have a vague recollection of reading one old Cornish tin mine had deposits of a mineral required for modern ipads - if that's true the workers should be laughing all the way to the bank.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..