Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rowlf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2017, 21:24   #1
Full Member+

Lost settlement of Birtwistle

I know some of you have done research on the Birtwistle family of Huncoat. I wondered if you would be interested to know that supposedly the name came from a hamlet or settlement in Hapton. It is thought it stood below Hapton Tower though whether it was there before the tower is not known. Hapton Heritage Group have been interested in finding this settlement along with more
information about the tower itself. We applied for money from the Lottery heritage Fund and were awarded £62,000.00 to have a dig carried out. the ground survey began today and the dig will begin in May. I have spent today along with 5 other volunteers walking around the area with 3 experts who are in charge of the project and very interesting it was. If anyone thinks they may like to get involved for a few hours they should contact Joan Lakeland who is Chair of the Heritage Group on 01282 779690. The site is around the windmills that are to the right of the road from Hapton to Burnley.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2017, 08:46   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Lost settlement of Birtwistle

And here's me thinking it came from a local chap called Bert who was a good whistler......Looking forward to reading the report. Who is making the survey? Please ensure that5 it gets reported to the Lancashire Archaeological Society
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:21   #3
Full Member+

It is a firm called Bluestone Archaeology based in West Lancashire. There is evidence of the Tower so we know exactly where that was and we are hoping they will be to tell us more about it. I will let you know Bob when the dig begins and of any finds they make.
Old 25-04-2017, 12:23   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I know some of you have done research on the Birtwistle family of Huncoat. I wondered if you would be interested to know that supposedly the name came from a hamlet or settlement in Hapton. It is thought it stood below Hapton Tower though whether it was there before the tower is not known. Hapton Heritage Group have been interested in finding this settlement along with more
information about the tower itself. We applied for money from the Lottery heritage Fund and were awarded £62,000.00 to have a dig carried out. the ground survey began today and the dig will begin in May. I have spent today along with 5 other volunteers walking around the area with 3 experts who are in charge of the project and very interesting it was. If anyone thinks they may like to get involved for a few hours they should contact Joan Lakeland who is Chair of the Heritage Group on 01282 779690. The site is around the windmills that are to the right of the road from Hapton to Burnley.

Rowlf, a Trio of the earliest Birtwistle's in my files
Circa 1300. Gilbert Birtwistle. A Witness of Birtwistle Chetham Miscellany.
Circa 1323. Adam Birtwistle of Accrington, tenant of land. Lancs Inquests
14 Mch. 1324
. William Birtwistle. Halmote Court Rolls.
Hope you do well in your venture, and find what your looking for, wish I could join you, but it would probably see me off. cant walk much these days.
Oops nearly forgot the Birtwistle name has had some real fancy spellings over the past 800 years, I changed them all to the modern spelling when I was reseachin old records.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:38   #5
Full Member+

Thanks for your good wishes Retlaw. You are right about the different spellings of Birtwistle. The hamlet was not spelt like that either. It would be good to find evidence of the settlement. I am sure if you were able you would enjoy it. The lads from Bluestone are really enthusiastic and it is catching. They said yesterday when they asked what we thought we could see and what the lumps and bumps were that there would be no silly questions or answers so to just say what we thought. They want all of the volunteers to enjoy the experience and I am sure we will. I shall not be going every day ofcourse but I will go as often as I can. I am very thankful that I am able to still walk around Hambledon in my mid 70s !!!! I will have to keep walking I think or they will have me bagged as a relic.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 26-04-2017, 08:20   #6
Senior Member+

There is also a Lancashire Place-Name Society. If there is no website, I have an email address for the officers
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..