Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hill Walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2024, 14:38   #1

Marbles lost.....Marbles recovered

So my seven year old Grandson asks me "Grandad can you explain Rugby to me?"
No problem says I. I played rugby for 4 years at Accrington Grammar School.
I explain the positions and the playing rules and then he asks me about scoring.
Easy says I. 3 Points for a Try and 2 Points for the kick conversion after.
Then we watch a YouTube video and the first thing they say is that you score 5 Points for a Try and 2 Points for the Conversion.
My first thought was "Oh Lord is this what Alzheimers feels like?".
Then since my Grandson thought I was "A bit confused" I did a Google search where I discovered that they changed the Rugby scoring in 1970 after I had left England.
So Good News, Bad News.
The Good news is that I am NOT losing my marbles.
The Bad News is that all my scoring records at Accrington Grammar School are now invalid and my Grandson still thinks I am a bit confused.
And so it goes....
Joe
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2024, 10:03   #2
God Member

Re: Marbles lost.....Marbles recovered

Interesting, Joe, that you played rugby at AGS.
I was incarcerated there from 1962-70 and only ever experienced rugby a couple of times. Despite being required to buy rugby shirts (reversible) and shorts, for the first three or four years it was football only in winter.
Then a new, keen PE teacher came who played rugby for Sale and he tried to teach us the game. I recall we played one match against another school and lost something like 3-75 (and, yes, that was in the days of three points for a try).
After that, it was back to football. One football game we only lost 3-23!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2024, 13:09   #3

Re: Marbles lost.....Marbles recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreJoe View Post
So my seven year old Grandson asks me "Grandad can you explain Rugby to me?"

"Grandad can you teach me to drive?" Should always be be answered with a solid and polite NO. Double declutching, pausing on a hill with the clutch, and many other things like sticking your arm out of the window and waving it about will cause the driving test examiner to suck their teeth and stare at the sky.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..