Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree242Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 16:37   #226
God Member

Re: Margaret Thatcher

it wasnt that long ago that government was looking into reopening coal mines although from what i remember thatcher did a bloody good job on caving them in

most of thatchers attitude towards mining was sheer spite and a personal battle that she wanted to win at any cost

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2013, 16:56   #227
God Member

This controversy would not have arisen if the people who seemingly adored her had let her depart gracefully without pomp, ceremony and public expense.

In their arrogance, they seriously misjudged the situation.

Her supporters should have let her 'die gracefully' and quietly, having a family funeral only.

PS Since there have been accusations that parties are in bad taste, I consider that a Faulkland war theme for the funeral is in far worse taste.
Eric likes this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-04-2013 at 17:01.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:02   #228
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
most of thatchers attitude towards mining was sheer spite and a personal battle that she wanted to win at any cost
The demise of the pits rolled over from the Grunwick dispute of 1976 -78, yes violence and wrongdoing on both sides but the inescapable truth was the coal industry was terminal. The Tories learned from the lessons of Grunwick, Scargill never did.
Labour’s James Callaghan was so concerned that Scargill would try to escalate the dispute using thousands of flying pickets that he even asked the cabinet secretary to draw up a note reminding him of the lessons of the so-called battle of Saltley Gates in Birmingham, when flying mass pickets won a decisive victory during the 1972 miners' strike and helped to bring down Edward Heath's Conservative government.
The Tories learned from the lessons of Grunwick, Scargill never did.
Q: Where do you think the coal industry would be today without the intervention of the Thatcher years?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:06   #229
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As pits (that's "pits" as in coal mines, not "pits" as in Thatcherism was the pits) and coal mining seem to be cropping up a lot in this thread, I don't think it's too much of a wander to question why Britain now imports coal Can some informed right-wing economist explain this? "Carrying coals to Newcastle" comes to mind. Seems like 40% of Uk's energy came from coal last winter. (I could post a link; but if anyone is interested, there's an article in the "Guardian"; I'm sure you are all capable of finding it.) Now, let me think about this I don't read of Saudi Arabia importing oil ... or Saskatchewan, wheat ... or Canada, uranium. So, why are you guys importing coal? Did you run out or something? Don't you have the expertise to mine the stuff? Is there nobody over there who wants to work in the mines?
About 40% of our coal is UK mined. Coal from abroad( mainly Russia) is cheaper. Many of our mines(MOG can probably say more) were 'deep mines' which produced high quality but expensive coal. Power stations didn't need the high quality anyway.
We have 300 years of reserves, based on the high usage of the 70's and 80's so heaven knows how long it would last at present rates of usage.
Why spend a fortune re-opening or starting new mines- the EU won't let us burn coal. Two coal fired power stations closed a couple of weeks ago, they'll all be gone soon. We have no means to replace their output so we could be facing power shortages in the next few years.
What a wicked waste.

Is it sensible?
No, it's politics.
Lucysgirl likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:07   #230
God Member

Quote:
it wasnt that long ago that government was looking into reopening coal mines although from what i remember thatcher did a bloody good job on caving them in

She actually destroyed the mines! I didn't know that. What a spiteful, petty-minded bitch. Talk about visiting the "sins" of the fathers upon the innocent children ... and grand children.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:09   #231
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
About 40% of our coal is UK mined. Coal from abroad( mainly Russia) is cheaper. Many of our mines(MOG can probably say more) were 'deep mines' which produced high quality but expensive coal. Power stations didn't need the high quality anyway.
We have 300 years of reserves, based on the high usage of the 70's and 80's so heaven knows how long it would last at present rates of usage.
Why spend a fortune re-opening or starting new mines- the EU won't let us burn coal. Two coal fired power stations closed a couple of weeks ago, they'll all be gone soon. We have no means to replace their output so we could be facing power shortages in the next few years.
What a wicked waste.

Is it sensible?
No, it's politics.
If you think about it, importing stuff that you have in abundance is never "cheaper" ...
Old 11-04-2013, 17:10   #232
Senior Member+

Quote:
Your memory is faulty.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:18   #233
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
No. 1 on jaysay's ipod

tick tock the clocks ticking
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:23   #234
Resting in Peace

Quote:
glenda jackson MP spoke in the house of commons and gave a brutal but honest speech about thatcher and thatcherism

Labours leader however has saluted her showing that he has less balls than glenda jackson

ps:

she cant be with elvis because shes dead and elvis is a taxi driver in las vegas

nah only kidding he died taking a poop
I don't know so much and American yellow cab was seen trolling for fares round about the time her death was announced, Elvis songs could be heard on the stereo system
Old 11-04-2013, 17:24   #235
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you think about it, importing stuff that you have in abundance is never "cheaper" ...
We are not talking about turnips here Eric, we are talking about a fossil fuel that presents many technological challenges in bringing it to the surface.
Lucysgirl likes this.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:27   #236
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I don't know so much and American yellow cab was seen trolling for fares round about the time her death was announced, Elvis songs could be heard on the stereo system
Kirsty MacColl knew where he was

Old 11-04-2013, 17:28   #237

Q
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:29   #238
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The demise of the pits rolled over from the Grunwick dispute of 1976 -78, yes violence and wrongdoing on both sides but the inescapable truth was the coal industry was terminal. The Tories learned from the lessons of Grunwick, Scargill never did.
Labour’s James Callaghan was so concerned that Scargill would try to escalate the dispute using thousands of flying pickets that he even asked the cabinet secretary to draw up a note reminding him of the lessons of the so-called battle of Saltley Gates in Birmingham, when flying mass pickets won a decisive victory during the 1972 miners' strike and helped to bring down Edward Heath's Conservative government.
The Tories learned from the lessons of Grunwick, Scargill never did.
Q: Where do you think the coal industry would be today without the intervention of the Thatcher years?
Probably in exactly the same position it is today MR D
Old 11-04-2013, 17:31   #239
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
We are not talking about turnips here Eric, we are talking about a fossil fuel that presents many technological challenges in bringing it to the surface.
We are? Silly me. I forgot that you guys are not up to the technological challenges of mining coal ... what a silly bunt I am. Guess you'll have to grow turnips then.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:31   #240
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Your memory is faulty.
No he was just too young to remember Gordon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..