Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2010, 10:27   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: No finger lickin' bacon in Accy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
ok perhaps what i should have asked is what is it about lancashire that makes us so different from teh rest of the uk that makes KFC and subway think that the majority of the population here are muslim and need catering for
Maybe they used up-to-date statistics.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2010, 10:31   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Maybe they used up-to-date statistics.
or they looked at blackburn road on google earth and thought that alone was accrington you know how teh yanks think were a small island

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 10:32   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
How on Earth did you leap to that? As I've previously stated, the clientele in KFC Accrington already seems to have a large Asian presence so why alter things to please a group who don't appear to be complaining?

Come back at me by all means, but at least read my posts properly.
OK, fair point, but why do you think they're being politically correct? Surely, they're just following their commercial instincts? There may well be a lot of Asian people in, but they're obviously hoping to attract even more to boost their profits. Can't see anyting PC in that, unlike a lot of the legislation that various governments have brought in!
Old 13-04-2010, 10:50   #64
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, fair point, but why do you think they're being politically correct? Surely, they're just following their commercial instincts? There may well be a lot of Asian people in, but they're obviously hoping to attract even more to boost their profits. Can't see anyting PC in that, unlike a lot of the legislation that various governments have brought in!
Government decisions that have been made in the past have been voted on and brought into force by consent. You or I may not agree with all of them but harking back to previous governments and criticising legislations that happened in the past aren't really productive. The world changes constantly so to my mind it makes more sense to try and learn from what works and what hasn't worked and try to avoid those mistakes again. We've had years of rather silly decisions from all corners based on not offending people, but the irony is that if they'd just left well alone in many instances there would have been no problem.

To an extent, the feeling of antipathy towards positive discrimination is beginning to get itself noticed and this KFC business is a case in point. An attempt to be seen to be faith-embracing and multicultural simply to impress a section of society that already buys their food has caused resentment among the non-Muslim customer base.

I suspect that this little marketing ploy will ultimately not go down well with the majority, including Muslims who will be seen as the instigators.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 10:55   #65
Super Moderator

Quote:
I suspect that this little marketing ploy will ultimately not go down well with the majority, including Muslims who will be seen as the instigators.
Then, if it doesn't, it won't pay and it'll be dropped - as simple as...unlike the "legislations that happened in the past" as you call them, which still go on affecting us, whether they're popular or not!
Old 13-04-2010, 15:06   #66
Give, give, give member

Quote:
ok perhaps what i should have asked is what is it about lancashire that makes us so different from teh rest of the uk
Perhaps there's a greater percentage of people too lazy to cook, and who prefer nipping out for a take-away.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 15:11   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As I've previously stated, the clientele in KFC Accrington already seems to have a large Asian presence
Not somewhere we go regularly, perhaps once of twice a year, but I've never seen an Asian customer in there. Presumably because the chicken wasn't halal.

Perhaps KFC are testing the waters based on the numerous other fried chicken businesses there are in the area.

Around the Edgeware Road in London, which has a high Arab population, KFC has been halal for years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 18:13   #68
God Member

I allways thought each KFC was a franchise individually owned and managed but operating to the KFC 'rulebook' , (similar to MacDonalds). Which explains the different "menus" and price differences between various outlets of the same chains .

KFC says use of halal meat to remain limited in U.S. – Nation’s Restaurant News

seems there are one or two halal KFCs in the US
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 18:58   #69
God Member

Quote:
You are right on this one. Increasing profits is the prime, and probably sole motive for anything that large corporations tend to do. KFC does not exist to serve food (or reprocessed garbage); it is there to make profits for its shareholders. It could be called the "Happy Holiday Syndrome", if you get my drift.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 23:00   #70
God Member

just wait until they feel the need to choose vegitarians over meat eaters and replace everything with quorn lol

i guess the only place safe from these PC do gooding idiots that feel they must cater for the minority is your local grease and spoon where there will be little chance of been handed a halal bacon butty.

and the sauce of your choosing will be provided free as well

edit:

on a side not if KFC are merely pretending to be halal liek what is been suggested i hope they get their arses handed to them by teh way of huge fines because its one thing to go against the mojority of the nation but a whole new level of low telling a muslim whos trying to follow tehir faith that they are eating halal meat when they arnt just to make a few extra quid

subway can swing i never cared much for their microwaved half pre cooked junk anyway

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 13-04-2010 at 23:06.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 06:24   #71

I never use KFC, McDonalds or Burger King, and Pizza Hut are now on my list of no-go dumps too.

As for who's being PC, it isn't KFC. As others have said, they are simply looking to boost profits. The bean counters and marketing people know very well who does and who doesn't use them. The fact that it has backfired so spectacularly is one good reason to smile!
Hiddlebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 07:35   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
just wait until they feel the need to choose vegitarians over meat eaters and replace everything with quorn lol

i guess the only place safe from these PC do gooding idiots that feel they must cater for the minority is your local grease and spoon where there will be little chance of been handed a halal bacon butty.
Many a true word spoken in jest...Harriet Harman is currently pushing her Equality Bill through parliament which, amongst other things, outlaws discrimination against vegans. So presumably, restaurants will now be forced to put vegan options on their menu, whether they want to or not. And, unlike KFC's little experiment, it'll be law, so there'll be no going back.

So much for the "tide turning", eh, Ken?
Old 14-04-2010, 07:42   #73
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Public opinion vs legislation.

Discuss.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 07:44   #74
God Member

Quote:
Many a true word spoken in jest...Harriet Harman is currently pushing her Equality Bill through parliament which, amongst other things, outlaws discrimination against vegans. So presumably, restaurants will now be forced to put vegan options on their menu, whether they want to or not. And, unlike KFC's little experiment, it'll be law, so there'll be no going back.

"Vegitarian" comes from the Algonquin language: loosely translated, it means "brave can't hunt worth a goddam."

But I can't for the life of me understand why tolerance, understanding ... empathy if you wish .... has to be enforced. If it doesn't come naturally, grow out of the community, it isn't worth anything; and it won't work.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 07:49   #75
Super Moderator

Quote:
Public opinion vs legislation.

Discuss.
Public opinion has always been against PC madness. Unfortunately, the people who lead the party you're a member of, are determined to carry on with their social engineering, regardless.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..