Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2010, 01:49   #1
God Member

Defence cuts

How many more warnings does this Government need?.. they have been told time and time again that the massive cuts they are imposing will leave this nation unable to defend ourselves.. and this is from the Mail

Defence cuts 'could leave us unable to fight a war', says MPs | Mail Online
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2010, 07:36   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Defence cuts

If that means that we can't fight another war over non-existant WMD or another Afghanistan (May be termed NATO led, but we all know it is US led), then all to the good.
The primary role of our forces should be the defence of the UK & NI, secondary role should be the defence of Commonwealth Countries providing that they are governed in a sensible, practical, effective manner, and do not spend major portions of their national budgets on weapons and nuclear capability.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:40   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seems ridiculous to cut defence, yet ring fence foreign aid? i mean really India need foreign aid, whilst there in the "Space Race" n developing "Nuclear Weapons" cos that must make em really hard up.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:47   #4
Super Moderator

Well, it's come to summat when Mancie's citing articles from the Mail...but I agree, it's ridiculous.

What's more important?...defending our country or adding to the fortunes of African dictators?
Old 21-09-2010, 03:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, it's come to summat when Mancie's citing articles from the Mail...but I agree, it's ridiculous.

What's more important?...defending our country or adding to the fortunes of African dictators?
It's not going to add to the fortunes of dictators, sending aid to those who need it. Buying diamonds from these dictators on the other hand, does, and allows them to buy weapons and hire private armies. To inflict genocide on each other.
Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:04   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

Defend our country, certainly. Foreign Aid - a definite No.
I cannot understand the argument as to why we need Trident in this day and age. If we want to nuke someone why not let the RAF do it rather than the ludicrously expensive Trident System.
Old 21-09-2010, 08:12   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
It's not going to add to the fortunes of dictators, sending aid to those who need it. Buying diamonds from these dictators on the other hand, does, and allows them to buy weapons and hire private armies. To inflict genocide on each other.
Some of it never gets to the people it is intended for, yes, buying such fripperies as Diamonds, (something I do every day, it's that QVC channel I can't resist it), can line the pockets of some Dictators, (other dictators have to rely on oil or food that could have lifted their people away from starvation).

But wouldn't it be nice if some Countries did what India has suggested?
India tells UK to turn off the aid tap already
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:25   #8

It's about time we started loking after our own instead of all these other ungrateful tosspots, best comment on the cuts come from Matt in The Daily Telegraph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909-MATT-ST-web_1720851a.jpg (65.1 KB, 9 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:34   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

But wouldn't it be nice if some Countries did what India has suggested?
India tells UK to turn off the aid tap already
Funny that, i made that observation a week ago, yet the fools in charge do nowt, its India telling us, pathetic.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..