Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2008, 12:59   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry No Fostering.

Not if you are a smoker that is.

Redbridge Council in London is planning to prevent smokers from fostering children under 5 and disabled children with breathing difficulties.

Although I agree with this plan in principle it would be more complete if Redbridge Council also included homes in and around towns and cities where vehicle exhaust emissions linger for hours or even days.
Old 30-10-2008, 14:27   #2
God Member

Re: No Fostering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Redbridge Council in London is planning to prevent smokers from fostering children under 5 and disabled children with breathing difficulties.

Although I agree with this plan in principle it would be more complete if Redbridge Council also included homes in and around towns and cities where vehicle exhaust emissions linger for hours or even days.
Obviously it would be best if nobody smoked full stop but I do think the restrictions on foster parenting are a little over zealous.

I realise that prospective foster parents need to be fastidiously checked but the authorities are bringing issues such as weight and smoking into it and it seems like nitpicking to me.

It is not good to smoke around children but it doesn't stop them loving the children.....does this just apply to those who smoke in the home or also to those who go into the garden for a smoke?

Children who need foster care need good, caring,honest, loving, patient parents and as long as people fulfill this criteria I don't see why the fact that they smoke should stop them fostering.

Which is worse?......leaving a child in an abusive/destructive/neglectful home or placing it with a loving, caring smoker?

There is an awful shortage of foster parents and it's not surprising with all these restrictions.
Old 30-10-2008, 14:41   #3
Resting in Peace

I was fostered and I could write a book about it but I'll wait a bit.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 14:44   #4

Well said Lilly, my thoughts exactly, karma sent x
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 15:28   #5

Here we go again. Pick on the smokers who are already social outcasts. Bet they don't deny potential carers if they drink or smoke the 'wacky backy' or are dependant on tranquillisers/sleeping tablets. At the end of the day, any child needing foster care should be placed with the person who has the ability to help that child and give them the love and guidance they need. A lot of these children have probably come from homes where smoking/drugs/alcohol/neglect & abuse are everday occurences to them. I'm pretty sure the child doesn't really care if someone smokes cigarettes and I'm sure any potential carer would smoke outside or in a designated room/area that the child would have no access to.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 15:29   #6
God Member

Quote:

Redbridge Council do not have jurisdiction over the rest of the UK. I fail to see what the second paragraph has to do with fostering
Old 30-10-2008, 15:47   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I realise that prospective foster parents need to be fastidiously checked but the authorities are bringing issues such as weight and smoking into it and it seems like nitpicking to me.
This is another topic you can ask me about face to face.
Old 30-10-2008, 15:52   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: No Fostering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Redbridge Council do not have jurisdiction over the rest of the UK. I fail to see what the second paragraph has to do with fostering
Well, well, well someone else has walked right into it – again and just couldn’t wait to do a bit of nit picking.

I don’t suppose that it occurred to you that the second paragraph was phrased as it was to see which nit picker would be first.

Nah! You were far too keen to make your infantile point.
Old 30-10-2008, 15:52   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This is another topic you can ask me about face to face.
And me,from both sides of the coin.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 16:11   #10
God Member

Quote:
Well, well, well someone else has walked right into it – again and just couldn’t wait to do a bit of nit picking.

I don’t suppose that it occurred to you that the second paragraph was phrased as it was to see which nit picker would be first.

Nah! You were far too keen to make your infantile point.
Wow, you're far too clever for me.
Old 30-10-2008, 16:36   #11
Senior Member+

OMG!!! another 'trick' you put in to catch people out, couldnt possibly be a mistake could it?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 17:49   #12
Resting in Peace

I too agree with Lilly's excellent post, and not because I am a smoker either.

The interesting comment on this afternoon's radio show .. sure you heard it Jambutty ... came from a Foster Parent who told us that if a child that came to them already smoked, they were not allowed to stop them, and even provide money to buy their cigarettes.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 18:07   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: No Fostering.

Yes I heard but as I said somewhere else it is always a good idea to leave something for someone else to bring up.

However seeing as you have brought the point up (much obliged for doing so) if the Foster Parent is a non-smoker that puts them in an awkward situation. Do the Foster Parents allow their home to be contaminated by tobacco fumes or do they refuse to take on the Foster Child?

I feel that Redbridge Council has opened a can of worms that could have serious repercussions.
Old 30-10-2008, 18:22   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
they were not allowed to stop them, and even provide money to buy their cigarettes.
That is stupid as well. How can you be classed as caring for a child if you allow them to smoke?

Who provides the money to but the cigarettes?
Old 30-10-2008, 18:26   #15
God Member

Quote:
I feel that Redbridge Council has opened a can of worms that could have serious repercussions.

Other councils already have the policy in place, why should this one have serious repurcussions ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..