View Single Post
Old 30-10-2008, 14:27   #2
Lilly
God Member

Re: No Fostering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Not if you are a smoker that is.

Redbridge Council in London is planning to prevent smokers from fostering children under 5 and disabled children with breathing difficulties.

Although I agree with this plan in principle it would be more complete if Redbridge Council also included homes in and around towns and cities where vehicle exhaust emissions linger for hours or even days.
Obviously it would be best if nobody smoked full stop but I do think the restrictions on foster parenting are a little over zealous.

I realise that prospective foster parents need to be fastidiously checked but the authorities are bringing issues such as weight and smoking into it and it seems like nitpicking to me.

It is not good to smoke around children but it doesn't stop them loving the children.....does this just apply to those who smoke in the home or also to those who go into the garden for a smoke?

Children who need foster care need good, caring,honest, loving, patient parents and as long as people fulfill this criteria I don't see why the fact that they smoke should stop them fostering.

Which is worse?......leaving a child in an abusive/destructive/neglectful home or placing it with a loving, caring smoker?

There is an awful shortage of foster parents and it's not surprising with all these restrictions.