Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2016, 21:21   #1

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Now it's the Baftas

I’m getting mighty tired of people trying to make me feel guilty for being white!

First we have the Oscar debacle, where the complaint was that there were no black nominations in ‘major categories’.

Hey guys (or should that be bro’s) there were no good films with black actors or directors this time….there was no Amistad, no Driving Miss Daisy, no Unforgiven, no 12 years a slave, no Slumdog Millionaire etc..etc..

It’s not like black actors/films have been ignored…even way back in the 30’s the maid in Gone with the Wind and Ol’ Man River Robeson got the nod.

If it were down to me I would have voted Denzel for The Equalizer in 2014 ( but then again I like my films to be violent, escapist hokum and I don’t care if the main guy is black or white, hell I even like Eddie Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop)……..

And now we have a complaint in the Grammys……Bowie, Frey and Lemmy were to be celebrated but White was just going to part of the montage of musicians we lost last year (until the black musicians kicked off)....

Yup I said ‘White’…… hands up who know who Bowie, Frey and Lemmy are?

Now if I say ‘Maurice White’?

‘Earth, Wind and Fire’? ( Quick test to prove a point ..name an Eagles, Bowie, Motorhead and EWF hit…Think I can guess which one you struggled with)

Ok, Maurice White won the same amount of grammys as the Eagles, and more than Bowie and Motorhead put together, but he wasn’t a ‘name’ that people recognised, and if you are selling a show, you headline the people who draw the crowds…nothing to do with colour or creed!

And it’s about to kick off with the Baftas too….too much white in Pride and Prejudice, Downtown Abbey, Poldark???……hell lets rewrite history in the interest of diversity and inclusion?? Maybe a couple of Nigerian mill owners supervising the Peterloo massacre, a Somali gamekeeper on the Chatterly estate and Cathy running across the moors shouting ‘Mohammed’

To be Pythonesque…it’s all getting very, very silly!
Old 13-02-2016, 21:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Now it's the Baftas

Does Bollywood have awards ceremonies, if so how many white actors were nominated.

Last edited by gpick24; 13-02-2016 at 21:32.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 21:32   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Hey up you white trash, why should you care?

Surely you know that to be right when white is to be wrong?

You can bend over backwards to be equal, will it work?

Of course not. Plus and this is an extra but very important plus, it's your fault because, well you're white even though you weren't alive when all the nasty stuff was going on.

Don't expect forgiveness, all the black folk have agents getting them decent contracts to appear in T.V. adverts and all the others, (mustn't call them brown), just don't seem to like you.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 22:03   #4
Beacon of light

It is all getting a bit tedious.
I am sick of hearing these z list celebs bleating about awards.
Awards are given for excellent performances...so if these folk of colour want to be recognised with pointless awards, they had better get cracking on honing their acting skills.
Is it honest to give an award to an actor or actress just because they are a person of colour(that is how they describe themselves these days....not black or brown)?
Does this not devalue the awards? And isn't this just another kind of racism...or can racism only be levelled at people of colour?
I am heartily sick of these luvvies who are so far up themselves that it would take ten miners with lamps and fourteen ferrets to find them.
They need to go out and do a proper job. They tell us how hard it is to do a film...or a series. They should try getting a corporation bus to do a shift in the local hospital to find out what real work is.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 22:15   #5
Beacon of light

Ooh I need to take my anti sour and cynical pills...they seem to have worn off.
Old 13-02-2016, 22:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am heartily sick of these luvvies who are so far up themselves that it would take ten miners with lamps and fourteen ferrets to find them.
Ah, but what colour are the ferrets when they go up and what colour may they be when they come out for breath?

Lose, lose situation the ferrets won't be white!

Last edited by Neil; 15-02-2016 at 10:33. Reason: fix quote
Old 13-02-2016, 22:25   #7

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I have some ‘Alan Partridge’ pitches for the BBC..possible BAFTA???

A) Indian doctor called Mahmoodstein creates life from some stitched up bodies

B) A story of farmlife in the dales…..Jarinderdale Farm….eventually all the family move in to the surrounding area and the name changes to Jarinderdale

C) Only Fools and Elephants

D) One flew over the Ostrich nest

E) The Lion, The Witch and His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
Old 13-02-2016, 23:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I have some ‘Alan Partridge’ pitches for the BBC..possible BAFTA???

A)Indian doctor called Mahmoodstein creates life from some stitched up bodies

B)A story of farmlife in the dales…..Jarinderdale Farm….eventually all the family move in to the surrounding area and the name changes to Jarinderdale

C)Only Fools and Elephants

D)One flew over the Ostrich nest

E)The Lion, The Witch and His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular
That's not one of your best (I prefered the thread starter) or were you just showing off that you can recite the alphabet as far as e?
Old 14-02-2016, 03:05   #9
God Member

one dilemma is that if someone is guilted so much into been ashamed of been white and decides to black up to hide their shame they then open a whole new can of worms for themselves

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:01   #10
Beacon of light

So if we went back in time the Black and White Minstrel Show wouldn't cut it for these bleating moaners(yes I DID say'bleating')
Old 14-02-2016, 09:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So if we went back in time the Black and White Minstrel Show wouldn't cut it for these bleating moaners(yes I DID say'bleating')
And not forgetting Al Jolson who used to black up. One of mum's and my grandfather's favourites.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:04   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
…hell lets rewrite history in the interest of diversity and inclusion??
And there's me foolishly thinking that it hasn't already happened.
Eric likes this.
Old 14-02-2016, 14:03   #13
God Member

im sory but i dont see how its possible to apologize for no black nominations in the oscars while we are still apologizing for slavery

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:49   #14
God Member

Here's a plan ... when they finally do the remake of "Dam Busters", nominate the dog for best actor.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 19:15   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Here's a plan ... when they finally do the remake of "Dam Busters", nominate the dog for best actor.
yeh would have to change its name though,or it wouldn't be P.C.
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..