Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 21:01   #16
God Member

Re: Observer plug for Accy Web.

Could you explain further?
Old 08-06-2006, 21:03   #17
God Member

Respect is something that has to come from the leadership. The Council leader, by the very definition of being a leader, has to lead the people of this area. He is the one ultimately responsible for housing decisions that create slum housing estates, he is the one ultimately responsible for the lack of amenities and he is the one ultimately responsible for the potential future of the borough.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 21:13   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The Council leader, by the very definition of being a leader, has to lead the people of this area.
Even the greatest of leaders needs people with motivation to follow, and im sure we can all agree that some people just arnt interested in politics.

Quote:
He is the one ultimately responsible for housing decisions that create slum housing estates
Off hand I can't think of any newly built estates that have become slums..

Quote:
he is the one ultimately responsible for the lack of amenities
Many of the people who want the place to look more attractive, are the same people who will jump down the throats of the council and its leader for 'wasting money' when it should be better used on other things. They can't win no matter what they do.
Old 08-06-2006, 21:26   #19
God Member

I'm sorry Cyfr but I disagree with you - a leader is selected because they have leadership skills. It is that person who has to make the decisions, who has to motivate and who has to take responsibility for everything. By what you are saying it sounds like you're about to absolve Tony Blair of any failings in his leadership too. If a leader wishes to take credit for the successes of an area then they also have to take responsibility for the mistakes.

As for the housing - at no point did I say that any new houses had turned into slums.

As for saying 'they can't win no matter what they do' - that is the ultimate cop out. Oh, we won't win so we might as well not do anything.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 21:34   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I will bring everyone back to the very first thread that I posted on
Ermmm that thread got me thinking, maybe the park could do with a panopticon or some form of artwork at least. Ossy is a bit lacking in works of art.
Old 08-06-2006, 21:46   #21
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
I agree with you A-B. I will bring everyone back to the very first thread that I posted on (for the benefit of Jaysay I've put the link here)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ght=panopticon

Yet over time I have come to be 'accepted' as a valued member of the forum. People often don't agree with me but you know what, I don't care, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Thank you Gayle for that "Blast from the Past" It took an hour to wade through the replies which numbered over 200 but as a newbie, you more than held your own, you really took some stick and I am sure that your "acceptance" by other members was as much to do with your tenacity in this, your first thread than your many other excellent threads. BTW, I still don't agree with many of your thoughts. - - -
Old 08-06-2006, 21:46   #22
God Member

Quote:
I'm sorry Cyfr but I disagree with you - a leader is selected because they have leadership skills. It is that person who has to make the decisions, who has to motivate and who has to take responsibility for everything. By what you are saying it sounds like you're about to absolve Tony Blair of any failings in his leadership too. If a leader wishes to take credit for the successes of an area then they also have to take responsibility for the mistakes.

As for the housing - at no point did I say that any new houses had turned into slums.

As for saying 'they can't win no matter what they do' - that is the ultimate cop out. Oh, we won't win so we might as well not do anything.

For sure, if they take credit they need to also take responsibility for the mistakes (not that blair has done much of that).. what exact mistakes are we talking about here?
Why is it the fault of the council and not the government that existing housing estates have become slums?

'They can't win no matter what they do' is not a cop out. I was simply making a point that if the council use money to make something pretty it won't suit everyone and theres bound to be tons of people tearing them apart for not spending the money elsewhere..
Old 08-06-2006, 22:15   #23
Give, give, give member

Jaysay was online when I posted this. Of course he doesn't have to reply or defend himself, he is as entitled to his opinion as we all are, but it would make interesting read. Is it really so vile here?

I think that castigating this website as a place of 'vile tirades' does a diservice to the moderators and members of this forum who endeavour to keep it free from too personal an attack. Public figures should be able to be held up to personal scrutiny, just as John Farrer has done in this week's Observer for his own political ends.

I'm still wondering if I might be a 'crony', but since I'm not a member of any political party or having never met Graham Jones I doubt it.

I did once jokingly mention that Peter Britcliffe sadly wasn't pictured wearing speedos in the calendar that was posted through his ward's doors, and which I think is still under investigation for misuse of Council worker's time in it's production.

You have used the press to air your views, I hope Mr Farrer you will do the same here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:15   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Jaysay was online when I posted this. Of course he doesn't have to reply or defend himself, he is as entitled to his opinion as we all are, but it would make interesting read. Is it really so vile here?

I think that castigating this website as a place of 'vile tirades' does a diservice to the moderators and members of this forum who endeavour to keep it free from too personal an attack. Public figures should be able to be held up to personal scrutiny, just as John Farrer has done in this week's Observer for his own political ends.

I'm still wondering if I might be a 'crony', but since I'm not a member of any political party or having never met Graham Jones I doubt it.

I did once jokingly mention that Peter Britcliffe sadly wasn't pictured wearing speedos in the calendar that was posted through his ward's doors, and which I think is still under investigation for misuse of Council worker's time in it's production.

You have used the press to air your views, I hope Mr Farrer you will do the same here.
It would appear that a letter I sent to the Obs some 4 weeks ago has been published, I don't get my copy till the morning. It also appears that people don't like to hear the truth, it seems that its perfectly okay to make fun and castigate of a person who has given 23 years of service to the people of this borough. If you would like to trawl past threads on this site over the last 18 months you may just grasp what I am refering to, but there again it probably won't register will it.

If people want to look at what I have said on this web site they will see that I have never attacked anyone, all I have done is make comments on what others have said. If I remember rightly I also said that I allways give my name to letters published in the local press, unlike some people who attack others from immunity, I have used the name jaysay on this web site, but I would think that most people, especially in political circles know exactly what my real name is, in fact I told Gayle on May 5th as she thought that I was Pete Britcliffe, well for the rest of you my name is John D. Farrer, I am a life long Tory and proud of it, in fact a member for 44 years. I am not Britcliffes Poodle as some have said, I am just a life long friend, Peter deals with council matters I do my thing with the press. Just to make things very clear Peter has never had any say in what I write in letters nor have I told him what to do on council matters. When it comes to it we have both seen off plenty Labour supporters, it looks like Two Homes Jones will be the next. To those still on line good night, God Bless read you in the morning
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:21   #25
Give, give, give member

Thank you John. Still be nice if you could quote the vile attacks supposedly made on here about Peter.

Old 08-06-2006, 23:26   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
It would appear that a letter I sent to the Obs some 4 weeks ago has been published
Perhaps the use of a stamp will result in earlier publication next time.

Old 08-06-2006, 23:29   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Sorry, but no Cyfr it has to come from the top down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
Could you explain further?

changed my mind

Last edited by chav1; 08-06-2006 at 23:34.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:33   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps the use of a stamp will result in earlier publication next time.
Don't use the post Gary I always Fax my letters, just can't even brake the habit and use "E" Mails, bit too long in the tooth me thinks
Old 08-06-2006, 23:39   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
To those still on line good night, God Bless read you in the morning

A gentleman never goes back on his word. I thought you were off to bo-bo's, but no another post?

Nighty night, mind the bugs don't bite.

Old 08-06-2006, 23:52   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
A gentleman never goes back on his word. I thought you were off to bo-bo's, but no another post?

Nighty night, mind the bugs don't bite.
What ever made you think I was a gentleman Gary, that must be the best backhanded compliment I've had for many a long day, as for loging of well the ale hasn't worn of yet and I can't stand the Mint

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..