Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2006, 18:32   #151
Give, give, give member

Re: Observer plug for Accy Web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeShark
But of course David Cameron isn't left wing! He's "conservative to the core".
It isn't typically conservative to hoist his prefered candidate lists on local selection committees, which he admits are weighted in favour of women and ethnic minorities, and even includes an out lesbian.

Surely if he was a true conservative he would want the best person for the job regardless of gender or colour. This positive discrimination sounds more like something that was done by the old looney left in the eighties.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2006, 18:43   #152
God Member

The best person should always get the job, and thats why im totaly against the likes of Blairs all women short lists... However there should be something to encourage constituancies to pick a more representative set of candidates, but still the best person should be picked. Just, at the moment, woman are often overlooked, regardless of whos best.
Old 16-06-2006, 18:44   #153
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
This positive discrimination sounds more like something that was done by the old looney, left in the eighties.
Who we talking about here Gary????????????????
Old 16-06-2006, 18:47   #154
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
The best person should always get the job, and thats why im totaly against the likes of Blairs all women short lists... However there should be something to encourage constituancies to pick a more representative set of candidates, but still the best person should be picked. Just, at the moment, woman are often overlooked, regardless of whos best.
It's your Dave that has the lists which are biased in favour of women and ethnic minorities. Which at the moment are being ignored by local Conservative associations in favour of the more traditional candidates, ie: white middle class men.

I smell trouble brewing.

Old 16-06-2006, 18:57   #155

Quote:
It isn't typically conservative to hoist his prefered candidate lists on local selection committees, which he admits are weighted in favour of women and ethnic minorities, and even includes an out lesbian.

Surely if he was a true conservative he would want the best person for the job regardless of gender or colour. This positive discrimination sounds more like something that was done by the old looney left in the eighties.
That was my point, essentially. The "conservative to the core" was a quote. It goes to show that in trying to please everyone you please no-one. It's where labour got their oh so cheap phrase Cameron the Chameleon from. Cameron is willing to be picky about which conservative ideas he wants and which he doesn't. I absolutely adore his character and style and watching him on PMQ gives me a giggle, but I can't stand him to be honest.

I'd also like to clarify what I said earlier about my own political persuassion. What I meant to say was that I don't know who I'll be voting for in the upcoming elections. I support liberal ideas and freedom. All things in moderation. For example, I believe in a free market, but I disagree with monopolisation. Many would place me to the conservative side because of this. But then I also believe in supporting those who cannot help themselves. Those who are able to work but deny the opportunity do not, in my opinion, deserve the support of society. I agree with the lowering of taxes and agree with privatisation. I would probably say I'm erring towards left-wing conservatism with a healthy dose of freedom. If such a thing exists. This would probably make me vote conservative (if they still held their older values of privatisation, which cameron doesn't, and he won't reduce taxes... he'll probably take away benefits too). I don't know how that helps to progress the argument, just thought it'd be useful to use against me.
DeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 18:58   #156

Double Post

Last edited by DeShark; 16-06-2006 at 19:02.
Old 16-06-2006, 19:02   #157
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't know how that helps to progress the argument, just thought it'd be useful to use against me.
That would never happen on here!

Welcome to Accy Web by the way.

Old 16-06-2006, 19:05   #158

Quote:
That would never happen on here!
Lol... I hope that was sarcasm. Cause otherwise you just don't realise how funny you are.
Quote:
Welcome to Accy Web by the way.
Cheers!
Old 16-06-2006, 19:18   #159
Super Moderator

Quote:
I agree. The labour party's leader is further right than his party and the Conservative party leader is more moderate.
Why, that's what I've been saying all along! Sadly, though I don't have any statistics to support my argument, just a gut feeling from talking to members of both parties. You obviously share my gut feeling. Like you, though, I'd much prefer it if party leaders reflected the views of their party, so we knew what we were voting for.

Quote:
t'd make for a more interesting argument if you could back up your statements instead of dismissing mine as puerile.
However, once again, DeShark, I must pull you up for accusing me of things I haven't said. Where in my posts have I dismissed your statements as "puerile"? Do pay attention in future!

Anyway, can't stop, I've got to go and "talk to some activists" for a few hours.
Old 16-06-2006, 20:43   #160
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Why, that's what I've been saying all along! Sadly, though I don't have any statistics to support my argument, just a gut feeling from talking to members of both parties. You obviously share my gut feeling. Like you, though, I'd much prefer it if party leaders reflected the views of their party, so we knew what we were voting for.
Never going to happen unless you happen to find a one member party.
In the end why does it even matter what the membership feel? It's the Leader who has overall control over policy, at least with New Labour and always has been for the Torys..

Your 'gut feeling' is based on the opinions of a few people in a Conservative Club, you know, the place that TRADITIONALY conservative members have gone to meet.. theres a keyword there.
Old 16-06-2006, 22:09   #161
Super Moderator

Yep, there's a key word. Pity you can't spell it, but that's Labour's education policy for you. Obviously, you and I are destined not to agree on this one, but I still find it strange that the Tory clubs are populated by a dwindling band of reactionary dinosaurs, while all those right on, inclusive new Conservatives are somewhere out there...waiting.
Old 16-06-2006, 22:43   #162
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Lol... I hope that was sarcasm. Cause otherwise you just don't realise how funny you are.
I'm friggin' hilarious, and don't you forget it.

If you do you are in DeNile.

Old 17-06-2006, 01:07   #163
God Member

I prefer them to be more in the middle than their party, that way you get the best policies of all parties through.Blair suggests something and because it's more middle, it takes the opposition to help him get it through. if blair was more extreme he wouldn't have suggested it all, because then he'd have his parties views. A leader should always be open to suggestions.

going back to 'two homes' how can you say that it's not an insult when he's actually said on here that he doesn't have two homes, he has one home and one house. Two jags had multiple homes, he lived in all, thats different. if someone has a second house thats let out as a business and you make out he has two homes thats an insult. It's not true.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 08:49   #164
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Yep, there's a key word. Pity you can't spell it, but that's Labour's education policy for you. Obviously, you and I are destined not to agree on this one, but I still find it strange that the Tory clubs are populated by a dwindling band of reactionary dinosaurs, while all those right on, inclusive new Conservatives are somewhere out there...waiting.
60 Thousand people still voted for David Davis. It's quite likely that they could populate the Conservative Clubs with those people, because as I have said many times, they're traditionalists and thats where Conservative members traditionaly went.

The fact that you're trying to make out that the more moderate members are some kind of French Resistance hiding away waiting for the call to arms, is somewhat absurd. I just believe that they don't go to traditionalist places like the Con Club, heck i'm a member myself and I have never been to a Con Club.

No we're proberbly not going to agree, because you don't want to give in, and would rather use personal attacks when your argument is weak. You have no real responce, so you try and attack my argument because I can't spell correctly. You try to patronise me because I am younger than you, in an effort to get the upper hand in debate. Well, sir, you are not any better because you are older, and i'm quite proud of the fact that i've come such a long way in the spelling department since a few years back I could hardly spell at all, so i'm not too bothered about a few double letters missed here and there.
Old 17-06-2006, 10:21   #165
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I just believe that they don't go to traditionalist places like the Con Club, heck i'm a member myself and I have never been to a Con Club.
Most people that go to Ossy Con are only traditionalist in that they only go there because the drinks are cheaper than the pubs. I know lots of people that are members there that don't even vote Conservative.

Accrington used to have the largest Con club in the country. Since the last one closed down where do they meet now?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..