Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2014, 22:03   #1

Ossy Moor wind farm

So these turbines have been commisioned now about 14mths anyone know if Hyndburn has benefitted from them and by how much......and why dont they run all the time. Surely you cant have enough electricity can you? I'll have some if there is any going spare..love to see my bill come down.

And if they are making TOO much electricity, why did we need so many in the first place
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2014, 23:17   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Ossy Moor wind farm

EnergieKontor who own the wind farm created a community benefit fund and details about it and what can be funded and how can be found here Welcome to the Windfall page :: Prospects Foundation

I know it sounds strange but if the wind speed is to high the turbines can be damaged and they stop them from running. Like everything they have a design specifications and can only operate within these specifications. I also wonder some days when you see some are stopped and others running.

As far why so many, I would rather see the whole hill covered in them than have a nuclear or even coal fired power station in our back yard. I think they should put a lot more up there.
Old 28-02-2014, 00:09   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think they should put a lot more up there.
Really?....if you add up the manufacturing,deliver and erection costs they'll never recoup said cost in electricity generated…..so why put "a lot more up there"??
Its a scam,money is taken us and producers of electricity and put straight back into the pockets of Liz and her tribe.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 00:14   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Really?....if you add up the manufacturing,deliver and erection costs they'll never recoup said cost in electricity generated…..so why put "a lot more up there"??
Its a scam,money is taken us and producers of electricity and put straight back into the pockets of Liz and her tribe.
How do you think we should make electricity? I assume you use the stuff.
Old 28-02-2014, 00:24   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
I wasn't having a go at you (well not really)
You didn't really a answer my question......

...You first

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:20   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Tidal/wave power, as an Island nation we're surrounded by sea & as such have an endless free supply of an elemental power source which in general is far more predictable than wind.
Old 28-02-2014, 07:01   #7
Senior Member+

I`ve always had a bit of a theory about wind farms, I`ve no links or proof this is true, just my own theory.
A gust of wind blows between point A to point B at say 30mph, it passes point A at 30mph and arrives at point B at 30mph(ish), carrying with it a load of rain clouds etc.
Someone puts a load wind farms between points A & B, The wind still passes point A at 30mph but when it gets to the wind farms, by turning the turbines, the wind speed is reduced to say 10mph.
Wouldn`t this reduction in wind speeds around the country affect the weather?
Are the turbines to blame for our recent floods?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:12   #8
God Member

The reduction in the butterfly population counteracts the effect

Butterfly effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different - it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:27   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I wasn't having a go at you (well not really)
You didn't really a answer my question......

...You first
My answer is to make electrickery
Old 28-02-2014, 08:11   #10
Senior Member+

After a bit of googling, it seems the reduction in wind speed theory may be correct - FYI: Do Wind Farms Make It Less Windy? | Popular Science
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 19:30   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
So they reduce the wind speed and behind them there is 'a small but significant rise in temperature'!

So the more wind farms the more Global Warming! I knew there was a connection- Global Warming was never mentioned until they began to build wind farms!

Get rid of the inefficient monstrosities.

Apparently the subsidies increase if the turbines don't run so some of the owners are suspected to be switching them off when they could be generating.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 20:45   #12
Senior Member+

Pull them all down and give me back my freeview telly
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 21:38   #13
I am Banned

We can expect some serious weather then, I just broke wind gettin in the car, Oh dear.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Pull them all down and give me back my freeview telly
You should be ranting at whoever is responsible for the transmitter network. You pay the same licence fee as everyone else so your repeater at Haslingden should carry all the same channels as the main transmitter at Winter Hill.
Old 01-03-2014, 19:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The reduction in the butterfly population counteracts the effect

Butterfly effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different - it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."
You might as well say "the fly effect"....if a fly farts does it change the atmosphere and cause global warming....doh!
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..