Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ossy Moor wind farm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ossy-moor-wind-farm-65810.html)

Karateman 27-02-2014 22:03

Ossy Moor wind farm

So these turbines have been commisioned now about 14mths anyone know if Hyndburn has benefitted from them and by how much......and why dont they run all the time. Surely you cant have enough electricity can you? I'll have some if there is any going spare..love to see my bill come down.

And if they are making TOO much electricity, why did we need so many in the first place:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neil 27-02-2014 23:17

Re: Ossy Moor wind farm

EnergieKontor who own the wind farm created a community benefit fund and details about it and what can be funded and how can be found here Welcome to the Windfall page :: Prospects Foundation

I know it sounds strange but if the wind speed is to high the turbines can be damaged and they stop them from running. Like everything they have a design specifications and can only operate within these specifications. I also wonder some days when you see some are stopped and others running.

As far why so many, I would rather see the whole hill covered in them than have a nuclear or even coal fired power station in our back yard. I think they should put a lot more up there.

Accyexplorer 28-02-2014 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1096070)
I think they should put a lot more up there.

Really?....if you add up the manufacturing,deliver and erection costs they'll never recoup said cost in electricity generated…..so why put "a lot more up there"??
Its a scam,money is taken us and producers of electricity and put straight back into the pockets of Liz and her tribe.

Neil 28-02-2014 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1096073)
Really?....if you add up the manufacturing,deliver and erection costs they'll never recoup said cost in electricity generated…..so why put "a lot more up there"??
Its a scam,money is taken us and producers of electricity and put straight back into the pockets of Liz and her tribe.

How do you think we should make electricity? I assume you use the stuff.

Accyexplorer 28-02-2014 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1096075)

I wasn't having a go at you (well not really) ;)
You didn't really a answer my question......

...You first :p

DaveinGermany 28-02-2014 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1096075)

Tidal/wave power, as an Island nation we're surrounded by sea & as such have an endless free supply of an elemental power source which in general is far more predictable than wind.

gpick24 28-02-2014 07:01

I`ve always had a bit of a theory about wind farms, I`ve no links or proof this is true, just my own theory.
A gust of wind blows between point A to point B at say 30mph, it passes point A at 30mph and arrives at point B at 30mph(ish), carrying with it a load of rain clouds etc.
Someone puts a load wind farms between points A & B, The wind still passes point A at 30mph but when it gets to the wind farms, by turning the turbines, the wind speed is reduced to say 10mph.
Wouldn`t this reduction in wind speeds around the country affect the weather?
Are the turbines to blame for our recent floods?

MargaretR 28-02-2014 07:12

The reduction in the butterfly population counteracts the effect ;);)

Butterfly effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different - it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."

Neil 28-02-2014 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1096076)
I wasn't having a go at you (well not really) ;)
You didn't really a answer my question......

...You first :p

My answer is to make electrickery

gpick24 28-02-2014 08:11

After a bit of googling, it seems the reduction in wind speed theory may be correct - FYI: Do Wind Farms Make It Less Windy? | Popular Science

Gordon Booth 28-02-2014 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1096100)

So they reduce the wind speed and behind them there is 'a small but significant rise in temperature'!

So the more wind farms the more Global Warming! I knew there was a connection- Global Warming was never mentioned until they began to build wind farms!

Get rid of the inefficient monstrosities.

Apparently the subsidies increase if the turbines don't run so some of the owners are suspected to be switching them off when they could be generating.

maxthecollie 28-02-2014 20:45

Pull them all down and give me back my freeview telly

Retlaw 28-02-2014 21:38

We can expect some serious weather then, I just broke wind gettin in the car, Oh dear.

Neil 01-03-2014 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1096198)
Pull them all down and give me back my freeview telly

You should be ranting at whoever is responsible for the transmitter network. You pay the same licence fee as everyone else so your repeater at Haslingden should carry all the same channels as the main transmitter at Winter Hill.

Karateman 01-03-2014 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1096090)
The reduction in the butterfly population counteracts the effect ;);)

Butterfly effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. Note that the butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado. The flap of the wings is a part of the initial conditions; one set of conditions leads to a tornado while the other set of conditions doesn't. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events (compare: domino effect). Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different - it's possible that the set of conditions without the butterfly flapping its wings is the set that leads to a tornado."

You might as well say "the fly effect"....if a fly farts does it change the atmosphere and cause global warming....doh!