Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Ossy Moor wind farm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/ossy-moor-wind-farm-65810.html)

Karateman 01-03-2014 19:20

Re: Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1096089)
I`ve always had a bit of a theory about wind farms, I`ve no links or proof this is true, just my own theory.
A gust of wind blows between point A to point B at say 30mph, it passes point A at 30mph and arrives at point B at 30mph(ish), carrying with it a load of rain clouds etc.
Someone puts a load wind farms between points A & B, The wind still passes point A at 30mph but when it gets to the wind farms, by turning the turbines, the wind speed is reduced to say 10mph.
Wouldn`t this reduction in wind speeds around the country affect the weather?
Are the turbines to blame for our recent floods?

The wind wont be reduced because the turbines are turning causing.....you guessed it....wind

Karateman 01-03-2014 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1096070)
EnergieKontor who own the wind farm created a community benefit fund and details about it and what can be funded and how can be found here Welcome to the Windfall page :: Prospects Foundation

OK so we are getting some projects funded in Accy, I mean, yeah you can tell its worth it by the way Accy has been revitalised and is a thriving hub of industry and commerce that attracts businesses from all over the world, but how much does the funding come to?...a thousand, ten thousand pounds...what? I see there are grants available but where are the schemes that make people who visit Accrington say "WOW look at Accrington now it fantastic", rather than "bloody hell more big name shops and pubs shutting and more pound and charity shops opening"

Someone must be getting rich and benefitting from these turbines and it certainly aint me or, I suspect, no one else in Accy. If these things are not efficient where does the money coming from?

gpick24 01-03-2014 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1096306)
The wind wont be reduced because the turbines are turning causing.....you guessed it....wind

You think turbines cause wind? They aren`t fans. It`s called transfer of kinetic energy, take the winds energy to turn the turbines.

accyman 01-03-2014 20:41

my youngest had chille beans tonight and im serously considering sending him up yonder moors to power them bloomin turbines if he keeps pumping them out at the rate he is doing :eek:

Less 01-03-2014 22:22

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1096305)
You might as well say "the fly effect"....if a fly farts does it change the atmosphere and cause global warming....doh!

Yes!

Less 01-03-2014 22:26

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1096306)

So, friction doesn't exist in your world?
It's all these rotating blades slowing down our orbit of the sun taking us closer, and, closer, no wonder I sweat when I get a utility bill.

Less 01-03-2014 22:29

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1096307)
OK so we are getting some projects funded in Accy, I mean, yeah you can tell its worth it by the way Accy has been revitalised and is a thriving hub of industry and commerce that attracts businesses from all over the world, but how much does the funding come to?...a thousand, ten thousand pounds...what? I see there are grants available but where are the schemes that make people who visit Accrington say "WOW look at Accrington now it fantastic", rather than "bloody hell more big name shops and pubs shutting and more pound and charity shops opening"

Someone must be getting rich and benefitting from these turbines and it certainly aint me or, I suspect, no one else in Accy. If these things are not efficient where does the money coming from?

I want to smoke what you are on, don't Bogart that joint.

Guinness 01-03-2014 23:14

Kinetic, mechanical, electrical....meh..

Fact is the sun causes the wind and we'll be ok for the next few billion years...there is as much hokum out there about wind farms screwing with ecology as there is about greenhouse gases, Elvis in the chip shop, the Illuminati and the Queen being a lizard from another planet.

I'm with Neil...rather have these things next to me than a nuclear plant

gpick24 01-03-2014 23:24

Ossy Moor wind farm

Lesser of two evils is still evil.

Guinness 01-03-2014 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1096341)
Lesser of two evils is still evil.

Lesser of two evils albeit unpleasant, by definition is still the best choice

gpick24 01-03-2014 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinness (Post 1096343)
Lesser of two evils albeit unpleasant, by definition is still the best choice

Is there only two options, nuclear or wind farms?

Neil 02-03-2014 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1096344)
Is there only two options, nuclear or wind farms?

The EU is making us shut down our coal fired but not sure if they will still allow us to have gas fired power stations. We have some bits of Hydro as well in the UK.

gpick24 02-03-2014 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1096345)
The EU is making us shut down our coal fired but not sure if they will still allow us to have gas fired power stations. We have some bits of Hydro as well in the UK.

My point was, just because it may be the best option of the two mentioned (nuclear or wind), doesn`t make it the best option overall.

Neil 02-03-2014 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1096347)
My point was, just because it may be the best option of the two mentioned (nuclear or wind), doesn`t make it the best option overall.

What do you think is the best method of making the stuff then?

Shurm 02-03-2014 05:55

Every home should be made to have one of these to generate their own electricity and burn some calories at the same time !!! :D

Bicycle Generator to watch TV...and more - YouTube