Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2017, 13:23   #1
Beacon of light

Phone scam

You may have read about a phone scam in the local paper recently.
My Ma received a phone call which greatly worried her.
It was an automated message which purported to be From HMRC.
At NO point did they address my mother by her name or even mention her name, but she was told on this recorded message that a court case was being instituted against her and that if she did not respond quickly to this phone call, she would incur very serious consequences.
Then a phone number was given for a HMRC officer who was named.
The phone number she was asked to contact was
Other numbers are in use with this scam too
Please alert your friends and relatives...especially those who are older or vulnerable....THIS IS A SCAM.
The phone number above IS a live number....and rings when dialled.

Fortunately for me...my old Ma doesn't do anything like ringing strange numbers without getting in touch with me. I told her not to worry about it as it is a con trick aimed at extracting money from the unwary and the vulnerable.
Just thought I would give you all a heads up on this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-07-2017 at 13:27.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2017, 13:42   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Phone scam

It's time BT and the other phone companies were forced to deal with these matters more quickly. There needs to be a simple way to report suspected scam calls, maybe dialling a short number after the call or something. Then if 10 reports are made BT have to monitor calls made from the reported number so they can check if it is a scam/unsolicited etc and take action by informing the police, blocking the number etc. I know the free speech lot will moan about a system where BT can record and monitor reported numbers but something needs to be done to stop it.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 31-07-2017, 13:54   #3
Beacon of light

My mum has an old phone...you cannot block numbers on it(yes you can buy a device to add to the phone...but i think she might find that confusing).
I have just ordered her a new large button phone that will allow her to block these nuisance calls.
I was there this morning and in the space of an hour she had had 4 calls about window scrappage, kitchen scrappage and one that sais she had been involved in an accident and was entitled to claim.
When I am there I pick up the phone for her.....she is harassed by these many unwanted phone calls.
She has said she doesn't want this new phone, but I have told her she is having it....she didn't want a stair lift, but now doesn't know what she did without it!
Old 31-07-2017, 14:09   #4
Senior Member+

I had a scam call. It was a recording of a text to speak

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 31-07-2017, 16:35   #5
God Member

I had a number of calls last week from that number, 7 in one day alone! I just press ignore if I don't recognise a no.but it's still damned annoying
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:57   #6

Virgin have a service where they will block numbers from unavailable numbers. external numbers, we only pay a small price per month but it seems to work
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:15   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Your Mother should be allowed to live without these calls, they are a disgusting way for people to try to make money.

I'm glad I stopped using my landline years ago, mobile seems to suffer far less of this, it is time these swine were stopped from leeching on the vulnerable.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:41   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
......entitled to claim.
When I am there I pick up the phone for her.....she is harassed by these many unwanted phone calls.
She has said she doesn't want this new phone, but I have told her she is having it....she didn't want a stair lift, but now doesn't know what she did without it!
Have you thought about getting her number changed and making it ex-directory?
Old 31-07-2017, 18:10   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
We used to be ex-D neil but still got em, just a bit less.
Old 31-07-2017, 18:12   #10
Senior Member+

Ex directory won't always work.
These scammers just keep ringing random numbers regardless of who's names in the book.
Old 31-07-2017, 18:38   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes, my daughter is ex directory...she still gets these calls despite being on TPS.
I think the newer phone will go some way to addressing these calls....and the numbers will be clearly visible(they aren't on her current phone) so if a number comes up that she doesn't recognise she can ignore it...let it go to answer machine then she can choose if she wants to block it.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:58   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Your Mother should be allowed to live without these calls, they are a disgusting way for people to try to make money.

I'm glad I stopped using my landline years ago, mobile seems to suffer far less of this, it is time these swine were stopped from leeching on the vulnerable.
i,m the same as you less. even with a mobile i tend not to answer it if i don,t know the number that comes up. rarely get a message left from these calls. found that 1471 was a useful number to use.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:36   #13
Senior Member+

We average 4 or 5 a week. The majority of them are either "Number Withheld" or "Out of Area". If there is anyone on the other end I resort to basic Anglo-Saxon.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:55   #14
God Member

[QUOTE=Barrie Yates; "Number Withheld"

thats two words that actually mean don,t bother to answer.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
We average 4 or 5 a week. The majority of them are either "Number Withheld" or "Out of Area". If there is anyone on the other end I resort to basic Anglo-Saxon.
I don't even bother to pick the phone up if I see "Number withheld", "Out of area" or "International".
monkey hanger likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..